5r to 4r100 swap

brian89

Reaction score
How hard is it to do this? My old man has been wanting to do this and I'm trying to get a 6.4 and i HATE 5r's. I've heard that cruise control doesn't work but i am not sure why, maybe a few of yall can help me out?

stroker57

Reaction score
its not all that hard im putting one in my 6.0 now you'll need a pcs controller and a different shaft for the transfer case also you have to use a V10 housing cant put 4r guts in a 5r call brian at bts he will fix you up. What all mods is to the truck?

jdgleason

Reaction score
I don't really see what you're gaining in a street truck. The swap is simple, the integration is not. You will need a pcs to control the trans, PCM tuning to accompany it, and at this point you have a constant CEL, no PRNDL switch, and no cruise.

stroker57

Reaction score
its all at what power level your and how good of a tune you have to run the 5r if your not making close to 800rwhp id say you dont need the 4r the way i was told and understand it is at that power level the 5r has trouble keeping everything together with the gears coming in and out

jdgleason

Reaction score
its all at what power level your and how good of a tune you have to run the 5r if your not making close to 800rwhp id say you dont need the 4r the way i was told and understand it is at that power level the 5r has trouble keeping everything together with the gears coming in and out

I think that the 5r has a lot more potential than what some people may think. The 4R hasn't seemed to prove anything, to me anyway. Neither trans has really had a fair shot at living up to its full potential. Either way, I feel like the 4R is a step backwards for a dd.

stroker57

Reaction score
yea as time moves on i think someone will find a way to make the 5r work and your right as a dd or a tow rig the 5r is the way to go i went with the 4r bc my trucks is just my weekend toy. I think the 4r is doing pretty good craig has pounded on his and just did a 1336 run on

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The 5r110 is currently the fastest trans for the 6.0/6.4

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yea as time moves on i think someone will find a way to make the 5r work and your right as a dd or a tow rig the 5r is the way to go i went with the 4r bc my trucks is just my weekend toy. I think the 4r is doing pretty good craig has pounded on his and just did a 1336 run on

But his doesn't last with quick spooling (not necessarily quick spooling but low end tq) as the 4r input will not live, period. So if you want lag the 4r is fine. The missing gear is hurting Rudy's drag Truck badly in et and mph. I'm sticking with the 5r.

brian89

Reaction score
All he has is a spartan, and if i get one it will be getting custom tune on sct, MPD single kit and idk what sticks, but now you have me thinking, i don't like the way the 5r feels going up thru the gears, but that could be because of the spartan I'm told, and i vaguely remember my 4r when it worked, running very smooth, but then again it is down a gear which i always thought sucked and in the end yes it is a step backwards, but if you can make them work well why not run them in a dd?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
get traction bars if you dont already, makes the shifting 100% better.

brian89

Reaction score
But his doesn't last with quick spooling (not necessarily quick spooling but low end tq) as the 4r input will not live, period. So if you want lag the 4r is fine. The missing gear is hurting Rudy's drag Truck badly in et and mph. I'm sticking with the 5r.

What do you mean lag? Or why does a 4r lag and not a 5r?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
the 4r has a higher first gear ratio than the 5r, the 5r was a little more built around towing so first gear is lower geared (higher numericaly) than the first gear in the 4r, so daily driving there might be some issues with that (unknown at this time)

Sure craig has beat up his truck with the 4r but what he finds streetable and what others feel is streetable is obviously different and right now in a 6.4 he is the only one running it. Now that some people like Jhaddox, Matt, blackmonster, start running them we can get a little better variety of what people think

I see matts truck looks to be about done on facebook so hopefully we get some feedback from him very soon.

That being said depending on your HP goals and track time goals i would be willing to bet that a 5r would be more than enough for what you want to do, my reg cab seams to be pretty happy with the 5r other than 1st gear is too low at the track and wants to basically shift right out of the hole. I think with some tuning that might be a non issue (too soon to tell)

I'm not really sure why aarons reg cab doesnt seam to like the 4r on the top end, the 5r and 4r are supposed to have the same OD ratio

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
They don't Dustin. Aaron is out of rpm at 138 iirc. He needs lower gears taller tires and smaller wheels from what we discussed. Or he's down a $hit ton of power?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thats what i mean, supposedly they are the same but aaron is all of a sudden out of gear in a big way, just doesnt make sense to me

TurboM700

Reaction score
5r100
1st 3.11
2nd 2.20
3rd 1.54
4th 1.0
5th .71

4r100
1st 2.71
2nd 1.54
3rd 1.0
4th .71

Not sure on what Aaron set up is but he shouldnt be having any proplems with gearing. Unless he is slipping the TC or transmission causing a over rev condition.

I have seen this before with 4r100 in high HP applications.

Just my 2cents I have no idea what Aaron has for a Transmission in his truck or who built it but unless some custom gearing has been made the 5r and 4r last gear are the same.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The only difference Between the two transmissions is first gear. The 4r worked in Zane's rail for 166mph. I'd be willing to bet there is something else going on there. Who knows. I still do not think a 4r swap is necessary for daily drivers. Just my $.02

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Then please explain why Aaron's truck hits the rev limiter at 138 instead of 144 with a 4 r please..

Craig@MFI

Reaction score

Thats funny because i gained 5mph switching and the first gear is so little difference you cant even tell and inputs are holding up fine now with some 1000$ custom shaft...a 5r110 period will not hold the abuse and shift as good as a built 4r100 period

TurboM700

Reaction score
Then please explain why Aaron's truck hits the rev limiter at 138 instead of 144 with a 4 r please..

Something is slipping inside the transmission or a TC is not fully locked up.

Gears ratios are Gear ratios they dont slip Period.

Steve I agree for a street driving truck the 4R100 is not the answer.

Latest posts

Members online