5r to 4r100 swap

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you saying someone with a rebuilt/ built trans needs different tuning then the off the shelf 310 or x race?

nope, just saying that the line pressures used to be higher, especially spartan, but recently, seems as though the choice of tuning and changes made have reflected a change. i remember my 310 used to bang so fricken hard. especially the 2-3 shift. when you go to an elite stage 4 or 5, im pretty sure you want custom tuning because the clutches are very aggressive though, maybe tadd can chime in and confirm.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I think that they will keep making improvements to the 5R to make it a great all around trans. I think that this is a classic case of when something new comes out everyone wants to bust its balls. When the C4/C6's came out everyone said it was junk. Then the AOD came out and everyone said they were junk and the c4/c6 were the best. Then the E4od came out and they said they were junk and they couldnt be built as good as the AOD. Then the 4r, 5r and now I bet everyone is going to say that the 6r will never be able to withstand as much power as the 5r. I think that with enough time guys are going to figure it out just like they did with the C4, C6, AOD, E4od and now the R series. Twenty five years ago if someone said they were going to put a AOD in 600 hp street/strip mustang they would have laughed at you and told you that you were a dumb ass.

I think that it has been proven that you can have a good reliable 5R with 700 hp. Anything above that, especially with the torque we are making, IMO is on borrowed time no matter what trans you have. I know there are going to be several guys that will say "I had my 4r for 5 years beating the **** out of it with 800 hp and never had a problem". This might be the case but for every one of these guys there were probably three guys that blew one up with the same power. If you got that much HP and torque you are playing with fire and eventually you are going to get burned no matter which transmission you got.

jdgleason

Reaction score
nope, just saying that the line pressures used to be higher, especially spartan, but recently, seems as though the choice of tuning and changes made have reflected a change. i remember my 310 used to bang so fricken hard. especially the 2-3 shift. when you go to an elite stage 4 or 5, im pretty sure you want custom tuning because the clutches are very aggressive though, maybe tadd can chime in and confirm.

The stage 5 trans can benefit from some custom tuning due to the modded solenoids...

Erikclaw

Reaction score
He is suppose to write the trans tune and send it to what ever tuner you use to integrate it into your tunes.

Latest posts

Members online