6.0 transmisssion problem

SkiRev

Reaction score
I have a 2004 F-350 6.0l crewcab with egr delete, rebuilt oil cooler, some other things , and SCT tuner running the sct factory performance tune. My transmission is hesitating going from park to drive, park to reverse, drive to reverse, and reverse to drive. Sometimes it drops in so hard that it seems to jump back into neutral, then drop in drive. Any suggestions? Thanks

04cr450

Reaction score
My trans did this exact problem 6 months ago and it turned out to be the line pressure control solenoid. Trans shifts and acts like it is new now. Still acting the same 6 months later

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
If you haven't already checked the fluid level do that, if it's all good then your going to have to drop the pan, check in the bottom of the pan for clutch material and check the magnet too, don't do what I did and spend $500 on new solenoids to drop your pan and find it full of metal and realize your trans is done,if the pan and magnet aren't too bad then you could try a new direct drive solenoid, middle solenoid in the row of 3, either a ford solenoid or a modded one that lots of vendors sell on this site, around $150, then install new fluid, if that doesn't fix it then most likely the trans is done, directs are most likely fried. Can also try checking the line pressure if you have access to the tools to do so, will tell you if the pump is no good.

SkiRev

Reaction score
Thanks! I did pull the pan, very little metal, installed both new filters, and trans oil. maybe I'll try the solenoid. I don't have the tools to check the line pressure but could probably have that done. Thanks everyone for your input!!!!

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
Post this over on FTE, Mark Kovalsky (sic) is the trans. guru on that site ( He is one of the engineers that designed the trans.) and is the go to guy for trouble shooting there.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes he is!

I agree that it is a solenoid problem. Replacing the entire trans will fix it, too, as long as you get new solenoids with it.

How old is the ATF? What ATF is in it? Old ATF can make the solenoids stick, sometimes new ATF and a new external filter will fix this problem.

sootie

Reaction score
Yes he is!

I agree that it is a solenoid problem. Replacing the entire trans will fix it, too, as long as you get new solenoids with it.

How old is the ATF? What ATF is in it? Old ATF can make the solenoids stick, sometimes new ATF and a new external filter will fix this problem.

kind of unrelated Mark but you know how the 2008 Job 1 trans had basically a screen in the pan then the Job 2 had the external toilet paper filter and the job 3 has the different pan with a proper filter in it? which is the best and why were the changes done?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
There was never a screen in a TorqShift.

The original design had a fairly coarse filter in the pan with a fine external bypass filter located near the radiator. This was the first Ford design to ever have a good filter. Towards the end of the external filter era there was a change where the filter moved from the front of the truck to just in front of the trans.

This carried over until Job #2 2008 when the external and internal filters were replaced with a very good internal filter.

The solenoids in the TorqShift need cleaner fluid than the original internal filter was able to provide. That's why there was an external bypass, to further remove particulates from the ATF. Later a team developed the improved internal filter to further improve fluid quality.

SkiRev

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I just recently changed the ATF and both filters. I generally run Amsoil Full synthetic in it , but this time I used something else and I can't remember the brand. I'm going to start with the solenoid and see what happens! Thanks I do appreciate all the advice and help!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.