6.0 UPGRADED FUEL SYSTEM

kevtbrennan

Reaction score
Looking for info on air dog, fass and aeromotive fuel systems. I realize they will probably all filter better then stock but I am looking for what is most reliable and long lasting. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these systems? Can I plan on being problem free for 5,8,10 years to come with one of these systems??

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
87db71b5c0e499ece9754cb024f9f77a.jpg

I built this setup for my truck for around what a fass 220 kit costs,It was much quieter too. Took it on a few long 6+ hour trips and never had an issue, Still going strong.

You can build your own or buy a Marty's fuel system, he has complete kits for the entire fuel system.

kevtbrennan

Reaction score
Nice setup six_slow. What made you go with that over a fass or air dog? Where did you buy the filter housing and what model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The fass and airdog are fundamentally the same thing, I got a fass because I listened to the Internet and everyone said how they were so much better than ad.

The fass was the loudest pump I've ever heard, thing sounded like it was crushing rocks and just wailed like a sob.

The pump is a 41401-1
Filter bases were wix 24770
The filter is a Baldwin bf7633
The ws is a bf1212

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The fass and airdog are pretty reliable pumps when used for what they were designed to do, but they crank the pressure up for 6.0 systems and they just don't work out.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I would highly recommend a sump, beans diesel is my personal favorite. The only thing that will kill a fuel lab is if it's forced to suck fuel from a tiny straw. Also I found I needed at least a 3/8 return line, with the fuel lab I wasn't able to properly regulate pressure because the stock return lines were restrictive

kevtbrennan

Reaction score
Strictly, right now I just have 5" turbo back exhaust, no muffler with a 5" high flow cat, coolant filter, amsoil bypass filter, sct exrtreme tune from Eric at **********. Hopefully be adding a power max turbo, banks intercooler and maybe I the way future a water meth kit. With the fuel pump I'm mainly just looking for something that will make my truck last the longest, I have 100,000 on it now, would be awesome to make it to 3-400,000. Was looking at the fuel systems for better filtration and to take air out of the fuel for longer injector life, any performance or mileage gains would just be a plus.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
I have a 6.7 pump on mine. Had it for about 4-5 months now and have had no problems. Hold's pressure extremely well with my 205/100's too. I plan on getting rid of the fuel bowl and adding a finer micron filter after the pump, run it to a Y, then to the heads while I have the engine out.

kevtbrennan

Reaction score
Six_slow, are you saying your setup would be overkill or any of the fuel system upgrades would be? Even just for filtration or getting the air out of the fuel?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The stock pumps in the 6.0L do just fine, provided you keep up on filter changes (particularly the one in the pump). If you are mostly concerned with longevity, stick with the stock pump and take care of it. Even if it fails, put another Ford OE pump in it, they will be the most durable pump out there.

If you want to do fuel system work to protect the injectors, just look at our basic regulated return and be done with it. Stock filtration is fine, provided you occasionally drain the water separator and service the filters and regular intervals. As for air, if you really want to go that way, a better way to go for air removal is a low pressure air removal device supplying the OE pump. That gives you the extra filtration and the air removal, but lets you keep the reliability of the OE pump.

If you decide to upgrade injectors down the road, and you go big enough that the stock pump won't keep up, address it then.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with extra filtration, but the setup I described would definitely be suited better for someone with larger injectors.

If I were you I would do a regulated return, strictly diesel has a really nice kit for that, that will help with entrapped air.

I'm not so sure the stock system needs better filtration but someone could comment on that.

Fwiw I just put an airdog 4g on my 6.7 to help the stock pump, so far I love it.. Like I said they work well as a low pressure pump. but once again that's a performance application and it may be overkill

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
The fuelabs are just as reliable from what I've read ,right? I'm talking about the new diesel approved ones now, not the older ones. And honestly, its a performance part. I'd keep one in the truck if need be sure its a $400 item but fass and AD pumps fail too.

This is the first I've seen any mention of the fuelab and a "long trip" being mentioned. Have they failed before on long trips, specifically?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The fuelabs are just as reliable from what I've read ,right? I'm talking about the new diesel approved ones now, not the older ones. And honestly, its a performance part. I'd keep one in the truck if need be sure its a $400 item but fass and AD pumps fail too.

This is the first I've seen any mention of the fuelab and a "long trip" being mentioned. Have they failed before on long trips, specifically?

No, but it was hot out and I know people had concerns about them getting hot, with any external pump and no fuel cooler heat is a factor.. But it was flawless for me.

I think as far as a performance pump goes it's hard to beat the fuel lab, brushless motors are superior and they were designed to handle the pressure.

strokin6L

Reaction score
If the stock pump is fine and is in good working condition and you'd like more filtration....piggy backing the stock pump with a low pressure FASS pump system with the filters would be great! This is what i ran before I removed the stock pump and installed the fuelab in its place.

kevtbrennan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like a RR and a piggy back pump would be what I'm looking for.

Latest posts

Members online