7.3 coolant in oil

ju015dd

Reaction score
OK guys. I just have the best luck in the world. After finally getting the new to me engine swapped over to my rig , I think I have destroyed it. Truck seemed to be running fine for a couof days. I had been watching the coolant level because I had to replace my radiator after I found a crack around the upper hose connection. Coolant kept disappearing out of the overflow tank so I would just add some more thinking I just had air in the system. Now truck never showed that it was running hot last night on trip home from a friends house. Egts were around 700 degrees and dummy gauge on dash showed normal. But it got to where I could smell truck was hot so I pulled over and shut it off. No coolant in overflow once again and when ever I tried removing cap enough to let air out coolant would shoot back in. Finally was able to add more coolant after about 20 min of waitin . Fired truck back up and made it home . Truck will not run now, so I drained the oil and had quit a bit of coolant come out of drain in pan then what looked to be decent oil. Also before I drained oil I tried starting truck one last time and had what looks like coolant pouring out of exhaust. I am so pissed at myself right now and don't know where to start......... Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

ju015dd

Reaction score
I know the oil cooler was a working unit from my other engine. I did not change o rings but i did use new gaskets. Just at a complete loss right no . I think this truck is cursed. I drained oil and fill truck back up with water and barred engine over and water is coming out of oil pan.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Especially if you removed the cooler and didn't replace O-rings.

The reason I didn't replace the orings is because it was a working unit that was rebuilt with only 40 k on it. I removed it from the one engine and put it straight on the other with the new mounting gaskets. I really hope this is all it is. Just hope the coolant didn't damage anything internall . With my luck it probably did. Can't win with this truck it seems.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Also with the fluid dumping out of exhaust. It is black of course but could it be oil and fuel raw or is there anyway it could be coolant? I can't do any thing with it till payday and just tding to figure things out before I waste more time money and oil.

ju015dd

Reaction score
ok guys, messed with truck a little today. I filled up coolant system with water and pressurized system. I could never get it to 15 psi but with very little pressure I had the water coming out of exhaust. I have not external leaks and didn't check to see if water was going to pan yet either. But for sure it is going out exhaust.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Cracked block... About the only thing that could cause that, that quickly. Oil cooler and it would be in the pan most likely.

COULD be an injector cup, but you would have to have a loose injector as well to get that amount into the cylinder...

ju015dd

Reaction score
Cracked block... About the only thing that could cause that, that quickly. Oil cooler and it would be in the pan most likely.

COULD be an injector cup, but you would have to have a loose injector as well to get that amount into the cylinder...

Well it is going to pan too and I have oil in degas bottle also. Haven't pulled valve covers yet, but plan on pulling gp's to see which head is letting water by.

ju015dd

Reaction score
OK, just another bit of info. Pan was drained last week. The other day when I put water in system and pressurized and found it coming out of tailpipe. ( a lot of it). Went out today and noticed degas bottle was empty and opened up drain valve on oil pan. Looks like while sitting a lot of the water drained to the oil pan. How can this be be no pressure on system or anything?

ghohouston

Reaction score
If its leaking with no pressure on it, its gotta be a rather large crack in the head or block imo... You're just gonna have to tear it down and find where.

Latest posts

Members online