7.3 coolant in oil

ju015dd

Reaction score
cake batter under the valve covers. Pulled the gp's and pressurized the cooling sys again. Withe oil drain open had water coming out. Then after about 30 seconds it started pouring out the #6 gp. attempted to bar engine over with gp's out and very hard to turn over. Didn't seem to change water coming out of gp hole and only hole coming from. With all the work I have been put through so far I don't even know if I want to pull and and replace the head gasket and not be the issue. I may just wait and find another engine.... again.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
I thought a cracked cup would work the other way allowing fuel into coolant? No? Since the fuel is under higher pressure?

golfer

Reaction score
I thought a cracked cup would work the other way allowing fuel into coolant? No? Since the fuel is under higher pressure?

it would,

unless there were a number of very unlikely issues compounding, failed cup + misinstalled injector....plus unseated, uncrushed copper washer...

it's the block.

he can try barring the engine over (moving pistons up/down in the bores) to see if the coolant quits coming out the GP hole and only comes out the pan.

with the piston in 'a' certain position the rings may seal off the (potential) crack in the block...redirecting the flow of coolant to that cyl.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
it would,

unless there were a number of very unlikely issues compounding, failed cup + misinstalled injector....plus unseated, uncrushed copper washer...

it's the block.

he can try barring the engine over (moving pistons up/down in the bores) to see if the coolant quits coming out the GP hole and only comes out the pan.

with the piston in 'a' certain position the rings may seal off the (potential) crack in the block...redirecting the flow of coolant to that cyl.
Ah, ok. Thank you for explaining that to me.

ju015dd

Reaction score
it would,

it's the block.

I was barring over engine while had the system pressurized and water never stopped coming out of the gp hole. I will remove injector and see if I can see anything there.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Remove the engine, disassemble, replace broken parts. Reassemble, install engine.

Good luck.

trying to see what the issue is before I remove it again. Just got done pulling injectors on driver side 2 and 8 look fine but 4 and 6 look like hell. Maybe my dumbass didn't install the new injector cups correctly. I used riff rafts tool and did it on engine stand but maybe I didn't seat them all the way..... Also I know I torqued all injectors down to spec and 4 and 6 were finger tight..... Don't know but if cups are the culprit I am hoping a set of new cups will be a fix maybe. But with all the gunk in the engine should I just back up and punt and tear it down and clean it all out best I can? Will post some picks of the two injectors. Will mess with pass side tomorrow.

IMG_20141106_154926_152_zpsd7biuz5t.jpg

IMG_20141106_154859_800_zpsxgmquvuj.jpg

IMG_20141106_154847_924_zpsi18jjntd.jpg

IMG_20141106_154945_736_zpsb55jy3s5.jpg

IMG_20141106_113104_511_zpsxiswtzax.jpg

golfer

Reaction score
ugh...

those blackened injectors were not seated properly.

you may not have a cracked block...just need someone to install the injectors and cups correctly, and reevaluate.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Golfer , i have done injectors quit a number of times but was my first time doing the cups. Ibplan on pulling the pass side and checking those injectors as wel . I thought I did then just as instructions stated but who knows. Sure would be nice. I am gonna go ahead and drain the block and pull injectors and bar the engine over a number of times to make sure all is well there. Then get the cups and tool to try again. I just hope that I don't waste my money again .

ju015dd

Reaction score
Assuming best thing for me to do now is put new cups in know bad holes. Then pressurize coolant system with injectors out.

ghohouston

Reaction score
just pressurize the coolant system with all 8 injectors out. Get a good flashlight and mirror, as rapidly as you say youre loosing coolant, and IF it is a cup, you will find your problem very fast.

ghohouston

Reaction score
and for future reference, you can hear and feel when the injector cups "seat" fully in the head, kind of like installing a bearing race.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Pulled rest of injectors this am. Looking in the bores and comparing the cups to another set of heads I have in the garage,they don't look like I seated them enough. I pressurized system and piston position does not seem to effect the leak. And for all the injector hold down bolts to be so loose when I know I tourqed them to spec makes me really think I just didn't seat cups completely. Gonna get some fresh oil in the engine today and bar it over a few times since all this water is in her till I can get the cups swapped out. Won't know 100% till i get them changed and do some more testing. Bone head mistake on my part, I know but learning the hard way on this one.

golfer

Reaction score
did the cups you used come in individually wrapped Motorcraft bags?

seen some places advertise they are selling Motorcraft cups (and other parts), but they aren't actually shipping FoMoCo parts.

Latest posts

Members online