7.3 Headers / Performance manifolds

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ty- I made out pretty good selling my long block to a neighbor in trade for a stock-ass engine, sold my BTS to OSCS and got a built trans in return.. (di performance?? whoever that is ;) ) worked out well at the time but i cant stand how slow the truck is. Im now running a forged mill s362/65 .83 on a wastegated mount with a set of 175/stock swamps injectors.

I made a tow rig however i got plenty of other trucks to tow with if i need to. But i was working it today god this setup does tow amazing i'll give it that...

^^ this guy with one of the nicest 99-03 trucks on the road.

Oh, hell yes it is! One of the reasons I want to longbed my 00. If I can find a complete.cc/lb frame Ill do it. The longer wheelbase kicks.butt.for towing. A new truck is NOT in the cards right now. It just isnt. The truck just seems like everything is.addressed.

Junkie, that setup does seem like it would tow very well. I had 175/80&100 and those 80s and my.38 r were a towing dream. It pulled very nice. I may have to put the truck.back into service so I may have to reconsider stg 2's. I dont want to be wrenchin on this thing!

Lang

Reaction score
Ty- I made out pretty good selling my long block to a neighbor in trade for a stock-ass engine, sold my BTS to OSCS and got a built trans in return.. (di performance?? whoever that is ;) ) worked out well at the time but i cant stand how slow the truck is. Im now running a forged mill s362/65 .83 on a wastegated mount with a set of 175/stock swamps injectors.

I made a tow rig however i got plenty of other trucks to tow with if i need to. But i was working it today god this setup does tow amazing i'll give it that...

Know your EGT's off hand with that set up?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Why won't SD headers work in an obs? I've heard they won't, but never why they won't.

I've already swapped everything over to SD stuff anyway.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
The SD headers hit the frame on the passenger side and steering linkage on the driver side on OBS trucks.
We are in the process of making 1 design to fit both, Swamps did not see a significant difference power wise on the SD design over the OBS.
Also all new headers from this point on will have added diamond shaped gussets at all joints to help with expansion and contraction issues.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
kinda late, but i remember reading somewhere on the nation, that a majority of people who had cracking issues had either solid or bellowed up-pipes. i dont remember which style it was, but there was a definite lean one way over the other.

Powersmoker

Reaction score
Mine have been extensively modified to withstand the heat. I used to have issues where the piping meets together towards the rear of the header. The piping would warp, then welds would split on the seam then blow out. Had to double plate and gusset everything around that area. Also had problems with the backside of the headers drooping towards the frame. I installed a cross brace from the mounting flange (head side) to the header outlet flange to fix that. Your everyday 7.3 will never see this type of abuse. They are definitely not competition ready straight out the box. Personally, I'd to see see a thicker material or cast. Stainless is not the best option for heat either. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 7

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i think its is, just not for the vgt guys.

sounded like the single guys are really digging them.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Mine have been extensively modified to withstand the heat. I used to have issues where the piping meets together towards the rear of the header. The piping would warp, then welds would split on the seam then blow out. Had to double plate and gusset everything around that area. Also had problems with the backside of the headers drooping towards the frame. I installed a cross brace from the mounting flange (head side) to the header outlet flange to fix that. Your everyday 7.3 will never see this type of abuse. They are definitely not competition ready straight out the box. Personally, I'd to see see a thicker material or cast. Stainless is not the best option for heat either. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 7

Stainless might expand and contract a lot in the heat - but many will agree that if you have a high heat application few things beat 321 stainless. That being said I don't recall if I've ever heard what these headers are truly made out of.

Yes - I had solid up-pipes and didn't have any cracking issues with my headers and numerous 2200*F runs on them. My back pressure has been limited to about 60psi for most of the life of the headers that I had on the truck (although there was a couple of runs that was closer to 90psi.... I fixed that by changing turbos). I'm not sure if back pressure is also a contributing factor - but I I'd be willing to bet its a major difference between our setups considering I've always been fuel only.

bruce

Reaction score
i picked a used set up, one of them deals so good you can't pass up. do you have to run gaskets?

Latest posts

Members online