7.3 powerstroke pilot bearing?

ju015dd

Reaction score
Ok, swapping in my 96 engine into my truck. I noticed my pilot bearing is trash and went to get a new one at the parts store. Every single one that came up on the stores I went to are too small for the input shaft to slide into. They will fit in the flywheel but too small of an opening for the shaft. I went to 10 different stores and even ford but they didn't have it in stock. Am I missing something here? Can anyone lead me in the right direction. Thanks

psduser1

Reaction score
Google oilite bushing, it'll treat you better than a Kevlar. You may need to machine it to fit, about .003 clearance to the input shafts diameter.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Ok , found out that my input shaft has some kind of sleeve on it. A repair job before me I job before me owning it. I finally found a bearing that will fit. I have engine in truck but can't get the trans to reinstall for the life of me. Anyone have any pointers for me?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Ok , found out that my input shaft has some kind of sleeve on it. A repair job before me I job before me owning it. I finally found a bearing that will fit. I have engine in truck but can't get the trans to reinstall for the life of me. Anyone have any pointers for me?
Did you use a clutch alignment tool for installing the clutch?

Devon

Reaction score
Your engine may have rocked back when you dropped the tranny. If so, it makes it extra difficult because the engine is not level (rear will be pointing slightly to the ground). Take a look at the fan. If it is jammed into the top of the fan shroud, the engine has rocked back. You can pull it back into position with a ratchet strap. Good Luck.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Had the wife work the cherry picker while I was under the truck with the trans. Got it slammed home and bolted down. Just have to get the transfer case on and finish installing the front end.

Latest posts

Members online