7 Years in a Ford - New truck - Planning My Build

Rob D

Reaction score
Moved my pics on photobucket and I guess it messed up the link here and deleted 2 of them - here they are again:

image-4.jpg

image-1-1.jpg

Rob D

Reaction score
By the way - does the stock Harley exhaust have any value?...in other words is it worth selling or what? The one that came off my truck is in mint shape. If so what would you all say is a fair price for it. I am keeping the cat just in case emissions change up here - but everything else cat back would be available.

Rob D

Reaction score
Finally had enough time to cut the exhaust again this weekend so it would clear the spare tire with the tip installed. I still might take a couple inches off the downward part of the pipe after the apex to raise the tip up a little higher...although I do like the fact that it clears the bottom of the spare so it won't get covered in as much soot...will get a better pic when its not dark out and filthy.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

Last edited:

Rob D

Reaction score
Thanks Bob - part of me still liked the way just the pipe looked better without the tip...I will see if it grows on me some more

STR8LINE

Reaction score
Deffinately looks better with the tip on it, finished it off IMHO. I might try twisting the straight section of pipe an angle it out towards the passenger side a little but tho.. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics but I actually did angle a bit as compared to the first pics without the tip when I reinstalled the last section of pipe I had cut down. Maybe I will loosen it up and kick it out a little more.

On a different note - ordered the conversion for the edge evolution to gryphon from PHP today. Hopefully that doesn't take too long to get done. Whatever FICM flash that is in this truck does not like cold starts at all.

My Average MPG with Looney file with 80% highway 20% city this weekend was 15.6 hand calculated. Previous average more evenly split between highway and city was 14.4MPG. I will see how it does this week with my commute to work in heavier traffic conditions. Will keep everyone posted on how the PHP tuning helps with my cold starts and and any gains in MPG.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have been following your build a little bit and just saw the pics of the truck... WOW! That thing is clean. Sounds like it is going to be one bad ass truck!

With your conservative goal of 500-550 hp it sounds like you are going to have a lot of different options and routes you can go. I know you asked about vgt vs non-vgt so I thought I would chime in a little. Both options have come a long way over the last few years. Tuning, pricing, and options for both areas have increased greatly. It will come down mostly to your personal preference.

VGT turbos will typically spool sooner and faster. Many describe it as an exponential boost building ability. Your boost will go from 10-35psi very fast, almost instantly. This is loved and hated by some people. I personally love the feeling of a big vgt hitting its sweet spot and spooling up. Almost like a big 2 stroke dirt bike. Those same vanes that make the vgt turbo so awesome also cause some draw backs. They tend to flow a little less air way up on the top end. Also more to worry about with vgt turbos including sticking vanes, solenoids, etc... What we know now about maintenance, tuning, and the upgrades we have out help not to having those issues as much.

Non- VGT have also come a long way. There are tons of size options, different housings, better pipes, better tuning etc... these have really helped out the non-vgt department. Most describe the spooling a non-vgt to be more of a linear build of boost. Also they usually light a little later in the rpms (when comparing two turbos of similar size vgt vs non-vgt). But the biggest advantage IMO is that there are not vanes to worry about (for those that do worry) and they tend to flow much more up on the top end.

It will mostly come down to personal preference but IMO... for your goals and truck use... it sounds like a good medium sized vgt will suit your needs well.

190/30 and a 68mm vgt turbo should put you right about where you want to be and still keep it a clean awesome running truck. 190/75 or 205/75 will probably put you a little above your goals...

I know you also asked about injectors and nozzles. I know lots of people used to run huge nozzles when they were not needed and found out that their trucks became very smokey... Smaller nozzles go a lot farther than what people used to believe. For example 75% nozzles have shown to flow upwards of 230-240cc of fuel... So why would someone put 100% nozzles on smaller injectors like 175s or 190s??? I dunno??? but it used to be really popular. IMO you want to have a good ratio so that you can still make good power on a descent PW/timing while not having a smokey pig while towing or just cruising around town.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Id say go with a larger tip and i bet your opinion changes, looks good though

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
Thanks Charlie - appreciate all the info. and when it comes time to upgrading turbos I am pretty sure your products have won me over.

Rob D

Reaction score
Popped hood today and had coolant sprayed from degas cap on hood. Pulled egr valve - hopefully just bad EGR and didn't take HG with it. Have put the pedal to the floor maybe 3 times while tuned knowing to take it easy til deleted...

image-5.jpg

Rob D

Reaction score
Guess I should prob do oil cooler rebuilt and stc fitting while in there. Not looking forward to the egr delete pipe with cab on lol. Any tips would be welcomed!

Rob D

Reaction score
Hey guys - want to make sure I have all the bases covered for gaskets/O-rings. Can someone confirm these kits contain all I will need please.

Gasket kit: 3C3Z-9433-BJ - this kit includes the donut o-ring for the manifold to front cover (as well as other EGR o-rings I will not need as I am deleting), Turbo drain tube o-rings/ supply tube gasket and o-ring & turbo mounting bolts

Oil Cooler Rebuild kit: 3C3Z-6A642-CA - can you confirm this kit has the gasket needed for the oil filter housing - or do I need to buy that separately (part no. 3C3Z-9C165-AA)

HPOP STC Fitting Upgrade kit: 4C3Z-9B246-F

Intake Manifold Gasket kit: 3C3Z-9439-AA

Upgraded Turbo Drain Tube (as my truck is early 05 build): 6C3Z9T515A

I think that should cover everything, please let me know

Last edited:

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Hey guys - want to make sure I have all the bases covered for gaskets/O-rings. Can someone confirm these kits contain all I will need please.

Gasket kit: 3C3Z-9433-BJ - this kit includes the donut o-ring for the manifold to front cover (as well as other EGR o-rings I will not need as I am deleting), Turbo drain tube o-rings/ supply tube gasket and o-ring & turbo mounting bolts

Oil Cooler Rebuild kit: 3C3Z-6A642-CA - can you confirm this kit has the gasket needed for the oil filter housing - or do I need to buy that separately (part no. 3C3Z-9C165-AA)

HPOP STC Fitting Upgrade kit: 4C3Z-9B246-F

Intake Manifold Gasket kit: 3C3Z-9439-AA

Upgraded Turbo Drain Tube (as my truck is early 05 build): 6C3Z9T515A

I think that should cover everything, please let me know

Looks good rob...glad your taking the suggestions!

Rob D

Reaction score
Mark your positive the oil cooler rebuild kit has the filter housing o-ring - was trying to remember as I put the list together this AM but was not sure if I had that right and could not find a detailed description on all the gaskets included with that kit

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.