A couple of Electric Fuel System questions

superduty4x4

Reaction score
In the interest of getting this fuel system done in a timely fashion, I'm going to retain the stock hard lines feeding the rear of the heads and connect them to my y block with some braided hose and the appropriate fittings. I'll get new rubber washers for the vibra-lock fittings to be safe and whatever other fittings I need to connect everything together.

PsRumors

Reaction score
I had no problem with the vibra-loks before or after. They seem to work.

SteelLines.jpg

valley1.jpg

superduty4x4

Reaction score
The stock head fuel fitting thread is 1/8"NPT so you could use a pushlock or braided hose to 1/8"NPT fitting easily enough.
Its just really tight back there, especially on the driver's side. I know the stock 1/4" hard lines will be more than enough to keep my Hypermax Stage 1's happy, I'm just going to cut them off near the banjo fitting then run a short piece of braided hose from there to my Y block.

PsRumors

Reaction score
The stock head fuel fitting thread is 1/8"NPT so you could use a pushlock or braided hose to 1/8"NPT fitting easily enough.

Unlike your Cali truck our 49ers have a solid 90 on the driver's side, not a two piece. Either the uppipes have to be removed or the 90 has to be cut at the bend. I was not prepared to risk shavings in the fuel rail.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Unlike your Cali truck our 49ers have a solid 90 on the driver's side, not a two piece. Either the uppipes have to be removed or the 90 has to be cut at the bend. I was not prepared to risk shavings in the fuel rail.
I think the funky fitting on the driver's side is a 97 thing, not a Cali thing. My Cali 96 has a different fitting on the driver's side head.
Between having to cut that fitting out, trying to get new lines to fit just right, and the limited space I think re-using the stockers is the best option and will get me going the fastest. Now I just need to order my filters and a big pile of fittings.

PsRumors

Reaction score
I think the funky fitting on the driver's side is a 97 thing, not a Cali thing. My Cali 96 has a different fitting on the driver's side head.
Between having to cut that fitting out, trying to get new lines to fit just right, and the limited space I think re-using the stockers is the best option and will get me going the fastest. Now I just need to order my filters and a big pile of fittings.

It is a 97 thing except for the cali. My understanding is the 97last cali retained the old 2 piece fitting.

I did not have to cut mine out.

It unscrewed without hitting anything? 97 model?

Reaction score
In 32 years of diesel reapirs I have never had a reason to dislike the vibra lock set up. They are pretty standard fuel and water line fittings in the industry. I plan to run the fuel in the front of the heads and out of the rear through the original vibra lock fittings to a hard line to the Y. Gotta remember to leave the old fuel pump hole clear so if(when) I get to a T4 turbo set up I wont have to rework it to be able to use the old fuel pump hole for an oil drain.

The reason to flow it this way is the already heated fuel will be passing the hot up pipes, not the fuel we want to be cool and dense going in.
On the vibra locks, the correct grommet for them will seem like it is one size too small and takes a lot of streaching to get over the tube. And no, a cut off piece of hose will not work except in an emergency. Heck I've used string in an emergency!

Last edited:

PsRumors

Reaction score
Tom, here is the driver's side fitting on the 97 trucks. As you can see it is a one piece 90 and when attempting to unscrew the fitting it will hit the up-pipe connector.

IMG_3232.jpg

Latest posts

Members online