Another T4 thread

TyCorr

Reaction score
38r design isnt 14 years old. Its been retooled a few times. The best ones were ten years ago. No whistle, tighter tolerances, better components, etc. Before tgat they were a different design altogether. And then whats fir sale currently is a 3rd revision.

In its defense a lot of failures are resultant of people hogging whatever random wheel into them.

I didnt say you said x, y, or z in terms of scenario of use that causes high egts. It was to try to divulge to your thinking that the issue isnt a yes or no problem. Its scalar and variable. Hell the 38r i put on that eclb i flipped seemef like a different charger than mine on my 2000. Not looks or quality. It just worked differently.

Im not going to change anyone's mind nor do i intend it. My point as i stated was that as soon as the 38r was brought up in juxtaposition i needed to speak to give voice to the thousands that have had tremendous joy from the "terrible little garrett". David N on here who is known for beating the hell out of his setup ran 250/100s on a pmr, 250/200 on a firged rod drop in, and now 350/200s. All fanned by a 38r.

The Brad

Reaction score
And yes my egts with a 175/80 are way hotter than they are with 250/200s. But that's a universal theme. A truck tuned correctly with a fast nozzle will run cooler than a truck with a 300hp nozzle thats stretched out to 400+. Which is exactly what an 80% nozzle is. Will an 80 make more? Sure. Hotter than hell though. As evidenced in this thread.

I'll ask again:It takes 200% nozzles to make a 38r work??? Why does my SXE work so much better with my 200/80s? Because it moves more air throughout the rpm range!

TyCorr

Reaction score
No. It takes a 200% nozzle to make cool power above 400hp.

Thats basic engine stuff...

Last edited:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
38r design isnt 14 years old. Its been retooled a few times. The best ones were ten years ago. No whistle, tighter tolerances, better components, etc. Before tgat they were a different design altogether. And then whats fir sale currently is a 3rd revision.

In its defense a lot of failures are resultant of people hogging whatever random wheel into them.

I didnt say you said x, y, or z in terms of scenario of use that causes high egts. It was to try to divulge to your thinking that the issue isnt a yes or no problem. Its scalar and variable. Hell the 38r i put on that eclb i flipped seemef like a different charger than mine on my 2000. Not looks or quality. It just worked differently.

Im not going to change anyone's mind nor do i intend it. My point as i stated was that as soon as the 38r was brought up in juxtaposition i needed to speak to give voice to the thousands that have had tremendous joy from the "terrible little garrett". David N on here who is known for beating the hell out of his setup ran 250/100s on a pmr, 250/200 on a firged rod drop in, and now 350/200s. All fanned by a 38r.

I dont remember my old 38R being as noisey as the last one. But I got my first one ~6 or 7 years ago. And I was happy with it and 175/146s. Thats why I bought it again.

I also know people have beat them hard(myself included), and they have taken the beating and survived (at least the stock configured ones) with a rare failure.

And when someone has leaking up pipes and needs to replace it all anyways, its hard not to recommend a t4 setup with a properly sized charger. Though I am super excited to hear the results of KC turbos new drop in setup coming out soon.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont remember my old 38R being as noisey as the last one. But I got my first one ~6 or 7 years ago. And I was happy with it and 175/146s. Thats why I bought it again.

I also know people have beat them hard(myself included), and they have taken the beating and survived (at least the stock configured ones) with a rare failure.

And when someone has leaking up pipes and needs to replace it all anyways, its hard not to recommend a t4 setup with a properly sized charger. Though I am super excited to hear the results of KC turbos new drop in setup coming out soon.

That was my next angle. How many people have leaky shti and no idea.

Thats my biggest issue with forums. They are awesome and not awesome all at once. I met a member who seemed smart online but in person cut harnesses off my truck because they were zip tied. Didnt think to cut the zip tie and unplug it, just cut the ***kin factory connectors off. :doh: true story.
Ive had a dozen parts from vendors that look like a drunk kindergartener designed and fabbed them.

Then i got into service, repair, modification, and sales in this business for a while. That opened my eyes further. Im not a mechanic. Im not anything but an owner who works on tons of shti. Its safe to say there are people with leaking uppipes plopping turbos in and wondering why they don't work.

I dont know any of you, and you not me. But the odds are 1 of the 4 in favor in this thread, one accidentally fixed his problem whilst swapping the t4 mount kit in.

If i go compounds ill probably use a bw sxe , well, two, but ill use them at any rate. Im not anticipating them right now though.

I too am interested for the kc 38r variants

mikeeg02

Reaction score
That was my next angle. How many people have leaky shti and no idea.

Thats my biggest issue with forums. They are awesome and not awesome all at once. I met a member who seemed smart online but in person cut harnesses off my truck because they were zip tied. Didnt think to cut the zip tie and unplug it, just cut the ***kin factory connectors off. :doh: true story.
Ive had a dozen parts from vendors that look like a drunk kindergartener designed and fabbed them.

Then i got into service, repair, modification, and sales in this business for a while. That opened my eyes further. Im not a mechanic. Im not anything but an owner who works on tons of shti. Its safe to say there are people with leaking uppipes plopping turbos in and wondering why they don't work.

I dont know any of you, and you not me. But the odds are 1 of the 4 in favor in this thread, one accidentally fixed his problem whilst swapping the t4 mount kit in.

If i go compounds ill probably use a bw sxe , well, two, but ill use them at any rate. Im not anticipating them right now though.

I too am interested for the kc 38r variants

Its easy to assume people have already done the obvious. Fixed leaks, on both sides of the charger. But like you said, some people talk better then their abilities. Ive personally never let anyone work on my own stuff. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but growing up Ive fixed everything myself (because we couldnt afford to pay anyone, then it became a hobby). This most recent truck already had bellowed up-pipes when I put the 38R on it. Yet another reason I went to it first, past experience and already having the good supporting hard parts to make the swap easy.

Id be surprised you wouldnt keep the 38R as the hp turbo. (Though I think I remember you saying yours might be nearing end of life) I remember Charles loving it for that, and its definitely a good durable turbo for that, if gated properly. Pretty sure the internal gate will not support the additional cfm on the exhaust side generated from the atmosphere charger. Though I have 0 experience there, thats all theory.

superpsd

Reaction score
Love the 369 so far. I revamped my tuning. Cleaned it up a bit. I had a gap to stomp on it hard enough while trying to turn onto a busy road engine was cold. Grabbed second gear 1K rpms pedal to the floor. Needs traction bars cold tires were breaking loose and hopping as I took off I looked quickly in the rear view to make sure I didn't smoke the intersection out and happy to only see a slight gray haze. No heavy opacity. I'm sold.

hucorey

Reaction score

I could go on for months about customers like this^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
They do have a place. I barely get on here anymore and im just the outspoken silent majority. In other words, there are millions of 38r trucks towing and running way more fuel than a stock truck has. At around 300 whp you cant get egts above 900 if you try. 400hp you can probably get 1100, barring mechanical issues.

I can see a setup like yours being a touch toasty on yours mandkole. Unless you keep the r's up.

everyone is so worried about egt.. I wonder how many people have put gauges on a bone stock 7.3 superduty and towed over 10k.. they would chit themselves seeing it go over 1400° on grades..
No. It takes a 200% nozzle to make cool power above 400hp.

Thats basic engine stuff...
my daily tune in my dually is over 400hp. right close to my hot tune when wot but just better driving characteristics when not wot.. it won't go above 1300°.. my hot tune doesn't go above 1400°wot.. this is all while towing too..

not towing in my hot tune and going balls out I can set the cruise at a buck twenty and it will sit at 1200°ish.. 170/100s.. not 200%... thats when you know everything is working properly.. like you stated before, if it isn't sealed up on both sides of the turbo, it will be off..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I have ran the 38r with everything "sealed" up with 180/100's and towing heavy was a chore. So I went to a 1.15 housing and still high egts. I do live and tow at a higher elevation so maybe that can contribute to some higher numbers. But since I went t4 mount and an sxe I hardly ever look at the egt gauge

TyCorr

Reaction score
everyone is so worried about egt.. I wonder how many people have put gauges on a bone stock 7.3 superduty and towed over 10k.. they would chit themselves seeing it go over 1400° on grades..

my daily tune in my dually is over 400hp. right close to my hot tune when wot but just better driving characteristics when not wot.. it won't go above 1300°.. my hot tune doesn't go above 1400°wot.. this is all while towing too..

not towing in my hot tune and going balls out I can set the cruise at a buck twenty and it will sit at 1200°ish.. 170/100s.. not 200%... thats when you know everything is working properly.. like you stated before, if it isn't sealed up on both sides of the turbo, it will be off..

live life full throttle

Yea. Thats normal for that setup. Mine was a tad hotter with 175/80s. But if you are making 450hp with that setup my economy tune is right at that. And empty it maxes out around 1000 degrees. In other words it runs good. People think im out running around in the race or sled pull tune but i use the tune that drives best for the area i drive in. When im out of town ill use the hotter tunes but it drives so nice in the eco tune that i stay there. The damn stock tune is ~400hp and flat footed you might hit 900 degrees. Might.

Z_racing14

Reaction score
Like I said earlier shoot us a link to the video you say you posted 4 years ago where your 38r truck would hold 20 psi continually at 2000rpm while towing at a reasonable egt and everyone will buy into how great you have a 38r tuned. Until then then I'm saying my new 366sxe dominates a 38r in anyway...any freakin nozzle size between the two turbos. My truck is unarguably better in any way any where in the rpm with no change other then the turbo swap and that's what I'm hearing mirrored from anyone else who made the jump from a 38r to an sxe.

TyCorr

Reaction score
But why would someone who is having any measure of success go swap a t4 setup in and a sxe? Which is exactly your pool of users. Of course people who are unhappy with a 38r for whatever reason are happy with any other turbo that works for whatever their issue is.

I didnt say i posted a video. I did post it. As well as sent it to my tuner. Its not a gunman on the grassy knoll. I did look through photobucket and ive only got about 50 photos. No videos. Not even the ones i posted in September for proof that 200% nozzles can idle as good if not better than stockers.

Z_racing14

Reaction score
Ty, all I'm saying is that with everyone I've talked to whose made the change all of the issues (mainly with egt's and towing) have been cleared up. Not by a nozzle swap, not by tuning, not by leaky turbo systems. I went the 38r route because I wanted a 500hp+ truck that was fun to drive and still be used as a truck to tow and from all the guys doing the 38r at the time it looked to be the way to go. Bigstroker was one of the guys who notably had one of these setups I remember. My truck was a blast to drive and backed up the numbers I was shooting for on the dyno but when I started towing real heavy with it I started to see the short comings. I'm just trying to spread the word for the guys that are in the same shoes that the grass is in fact greener over here. Not saying that you can't be happy with a 38r setup, I did it for 7 years. There is no doubt that a sxe is better, stronger, faster spooling, and waaaay quieter than the 38r ever was. And again I tried tuning from multiple vendor's. Heck when I called Bob and told him my wicked wheel didn't tow worth a damn he told me I was the only one in the country who was seeing that - today it's fairly common knowledge that wheel doesn't spool as well as the stock 38r. Again I'm blown away by the night and day change the turbo made I'm trying to spread that first hand experience to others that might be inclined to give up on the 7.3 platform to a better towing hotroding truck. It can be done with this new sxe platform! I feel like it's breathed new life into this dinosaur and I have no desires to get a different truck now.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yea. Thats normal for that setup. Mine was a tad hotter with 175/80s. But if you are making 450hp with that setup my economy tune is right at that. And empty it maxes out around 1000 degrees. In other words it runs good. People think im out running around in the race or sled pull tune but i use the tune that drives best for the area i drive in. When im out of town ill use the hotter tunes but it drives so nice in the eco tune that i stay there. The damn stock tune is ~400hp and flat footed you might hit 900 degrees. Might.
yeah. obviously I am maxing out those lil 170s but still, with everything working propper, its just fine..

I cant wait till I can get back at it with the 7.3 and put some bigger injectors in it..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Me too. Id like to see that bitsh pick up 100 hp. Or more! Some 300/300....

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yeah no doubt! after injectors, obviously custom turbo for the 2.5 class that will outflow the 38r by a lot..

live life full throttle

hucorey

Reaction score
I never put 2 n 2 together that was you I met in Peoria to drop off your trans. Lol. I would've chatted awhile longer or ate lunch, but I had to get to Missouri before the trailer shop closed.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
I think its funny how there is how many years of threads/posts on how many forums of people running anything from stock to 200% hyrbids to B codes with a 38R and if it had good tuning the only real complaint about the turbo is that a good number had a pronounced whistle.

I keep seeing this statement about a turbo that moves more air and why it works better? Seriously !?! the turbo has a custom wheel that moves more air is going to clear up more fuel. If you are running heavier fuel and you change to a turbo that moves more air its going to run cleaner and lower egts. You also could just adjust the tune and pull some fuel out.

One thing about eh 38R is none of the turbos anyone is mentioning has a track record of being beat on terrible and living long lives like the 38R,.

Guess what any size injector from stock up can be run with a 38R. If you can make a injector idle then you can fuel it low enough for even a stock turbo. Yes you have to have the oil to support it duh Is it a big waste? Absolutely.

200% works fine with a 38R as does a stock even split shot injector. If you are having issues other than wanting more power ie more air needed; then it s tuning issue or something else. I am willing to bet there are literally thousands that have run 38R on 7.3s over the years.

I am in no way saying there are not turbos that can spool up faster and move more air but that does not make the 38R anything less than its always been nor does it make it bad. By that kind of logical you are all running POS trucks engines trans you name it as there are way way better setups these days with CR and 7 speed auto etc.

After being gone for a while its so funny to watch how there always need to be a new cool thing to go on about and the way to make the point is to trash whatever was the old cool thing.

If you are having issues with a 38R cleaning up 80% hybrids there is something wrong somewhere else. Boost leak, tuning etc. If all that needs to be done to fix the issue is a turbo that moves more air the tuning was off as the only thing that was changed was more air was added, You can do the same to clean it up from the other side...trimming back fuel where its needed. You can alway trim fuel back especially with nozzles as small as 80%.

People need to take some time and go back to the even 8 or so years and start reading forward from there and see how many people were using 38R for everything with no issues. Towing heavy whatever. If you are running some aftermarket wheel then I have no comment but stock wheel there is just way way to much evidence over many years you would have to turn a blind eye to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online