Another T4 thread

The Brad

Reaction score
Are you gonna be home Thanksgiving weekend? Got a trailer we can hook to my truck? I'll come by and we can try the Kuehner on ramp to the east bound 118. That's a pretty good climb starting from a dead stop.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I am gonna be home. The tires are shot on my trailer though, so it's parked right now. It would've of been a great test up kuehner as you mentioned. I have a Ford skip loader that I've towed with my truck in the past, it weights about 9-10 k plus the trailer put's it about 12-13K give or take. But no go, the tires are dry rotted from sitting, so they are literally falling apart.

superpsd

Reaction score
I do believe the S369sxe outflows the old 468s if I recall reading. I finally got my S369 and test drove it today.

Countrycar

Reaction score
I do believe the S369sxe outflows the old 468s if I recall reading. I finally got my S369 and test drove it today.

As superpsd said the sxe369 flows the same as the S468, but spools quicker and according to Matt/Irate the sxe369 isn't as durable as the S468, so if your gonna constantly beat on the Turbo the S468 would the one to get. When I spoke with Matt he also said the sxe369 gated would be a great street/performance/Tow Turbo for my setup. This is why, after having a brief conversation with Charlie Fish he mentioned to me the new BB KCturbo that he is currently developing will not only be a direct bolt in, but also have the exact characteristics as the sxe369 flow numbers and all, I thought I would wait and see how well this one performs, and maybe I wouldn't have to go to a T4 setup, get all the performance I need ,as well as save a little money in the process.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Can you be a tad more specific? 2ms isnt doing shti in my parade. I have 250/200s. I cant imagine a 2ms tune with a 100% nozzle was much else besides smoky on a6spd.

With an auto things are entirely different for me but when my turbo is spooled in 3rd or 4th gear, ive seen pw values in excess of 3ms. Nothing wild or dangerous happens. Hardly any smoke. The truck ***kin rips plain and simple.

Im commuting all week on a half tank of fuel. I dont wanna jinx myself but I've got 3 gand calc'd tanks over 20 mpg. Monday morning I fueled and added 10.4gal and i had traveled 230 miles. Don't ask me how. I dont drive like a maniac or agrandpa. Most times I just expeditiously move towards the speedlimit.

Many fellers Ive personally helped with these setups say"i wish i was getting20" and it clicks to me that they have a mechanical issue causing the egt issue purported to be a shortciming of the 38r. I mean, you guys have seen and heard what Charile does with 300/200s and a stock 38r?

Ty, you're right, I don't remember watching pulsewidth on my old auto truck anymore, plus that truck only have had stock nozzles. But I always liked on that truck how 175/146s, adrenaline and a stock 38R worked. With Jody's 80 tow tune, but thats from probably 7 years ago. Which was why I started this build with a 38R again. Maybe I needed to loosen the gate some (and potentially cross drill the divider) to free up the top end. I am pretty certain The Brad experienced what I did, and when he pulled his turbo, he could clearly see his gate was clean and had never been opened.

I do remember Charles liking the 38R, but I think I remember he hated it until it had a 1.15 housing. Then he was as smitten as could be.

I dont get 20 mpg(and I dont expect to), but since the injectors Ive gotten ~16 with the 38R and with the only change being the turbo, I get 17 out of the 366sxe. Best was two tanks at 18 with the 38R and stock injectors. Like you, I dont typically drive like a maniac(usually, unless I am testing, and those 14mpg tanks are disregarded) nor a grandpa.

But the difference I've experienced between the 38R and 66sxe is significant(both with a 1.0 housing), and mostly on the top end with a stronger mid range. Which may have also been fixed on the 38R by loosening the gate. The 66sxe comes on just as quick, if not slightly quicker then the 38R. Just yesterday I did some boost:backpressure testing, and its 1:1 to ~40-42psi. Im pretty happy with that. At 48psi the backpressure is ~68-70, and Ill know better once my pressure snubber gets here friday to eliminate the pulses.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/m_vcp-AlOIA

This was on the flat, from 1800-3500 rpm. 5th gear (1:1) Didnt load it down like going up the mountain.

Edit, trying to embed it, its currently a link to the video

Apparently I am not smart enough to know how to do that. Im done editing.

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Mikee those are some good numbers. The 38r is no where near 1:1 at 35 let alone 40. Thank you for the great info.

superpsd

Reaction score

It is fed with a blower so its hard to compare to a more typical single turbo setup. However so far so good. It's going to take a second to get some testing done and some numbers. Once the turbo is loaded heavy the blower is out of the equation so latter I'll have some boost vs backpressure numbers and do some mild towing.

ja_cain

Reaction score
We're working on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I can't wait! This would be a game changer. There needs to be more aftermarket innovation with this platform. Especially since there are still so many out there running around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hucorey

Reaction score
I can't wait! This would be a game changer. There needs to be more aftermarket innovation with this platform. Especially since there are still so many out there running around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I completely agree.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I completely agree.

Agreed. I think the downfall is finding people that want to spend money doing it. Ive spent a good used 6l in parts the last three years. Then factor in that 10-20% of parts wind up being rubbish. Another few are intermittent. And the avg guy gets discouraged and realizes 1500 bucks on a 6.7 gets him quiet, reliable 600hp.

That said, im staying in the camp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/m_vcp-AlOIA

This was on the flat, from 1800-3500 rpm. 5th gear (1:1) Didnt load it down like going up the mountain.

Edit, trying to embed it, its currently a link to the video

Apparently I am not smart enough to know how to do that. Im done editing.

Pretty good! I go from stop sign to gate blowing open in about 1.5 seconds of full throttle. Its nice having the air right now.

hucorey

Reaction score
Agreed. I think the downfall is finding people that want to spend money doing it. Ive spent a good used 6l in parts the last three years. Then factor in that 10-20% of parts wind up being rubbish. Another few are intermittent. And the avg guy gets discouraged and realizes 1500 bucks on a 6.7 gets him quiet, reliable 600hp.

That said, im staying in the camp.
That's for sure. I've been saving working/saving/working/saving and being really patient to put together a beast. But I'm pretty excited.

More excited that the shop has taken off as well as it has.

Countrycar

Reaction score
That's for sure. I've been saving working/saving/working/saving and being really patient to put together a beast. But I'm pretty excited.

More excited that the shop has taken off as well as it has.

Yup, the crazy part is that just when you think your done, something else comes up, or another part to buy/upgrade etc. I'm sure the money we've spent is quite a bit more than most folks understand. LOL. When I think about what I've spent as Tycorr mentioned I could've bought a new truck and with 2k or so, it would easily push 600hp. LOL..:fustrate: I just can't seem to quit though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.