Another T4 thread

Swaan

Reaction score
Thanks! I had it backwards in my head and couldn't see the benefit of using a drop in unless the exhaust went to the hp first.

On another note, I took a drive over the Cajon Pass (6% grade on Interstate 15) today unloaded. Before, with the 38r, I had to drop to drive to keep temps and smoke down. Today, it was overdrive all the way up. I started at 60mph and rolled into it up to 95 and it was CLEAN and barely broke 1100*. I'm lovin this turbo!

You will notice also your fuel mileage will be better also.

My truck gets fenominal mpg towing and empty. Fuel pedel is never on the floor...... well sometimes😈

TyCorr

Reaction score
Put the stock 38R wheel back on. 35" tires and 3.73 not the best for towing 10K. Stop trying to tow in OD?

I disagree but ive only been doing it for 255k miles.

I can get with the idea of keeping the stock wheel in the 38r or if you go billet, use the billet version of the stock 6x6 wheel. The single plane wheels suck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
But that isnt to say a 38r doesnt do these things well. I honestly am not understanding how you guys have all these issues with them. I have waaaay more fuel and n9t the issues.

Your point being taken into consideration for the threads sake and to stay on topic, which turbo are you referrring to? Sxe isnt a turbo specifically but a product line. Some of you guys dont have enough fuel for a s366sxe or sce369. Maybe empty.

All bs aside, if this thing dies(my 38r) i may go t4 and a sxe charger. Or I may go to a kc38r.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
What pulse width are you happy with running with your 38R?

I was moderately happy with 2.8ms (100% nozzles) with a stock 38R. Though in an empty straight out pull, the top end felt restrictive compared to the 66sxe. I'd say the bulk of the use able power was from 2,000-3,000. Now it pulls straight to red line. Though I'm a 6 speed config.

With the 366sxe being the only change, all the power band continues deeper into the rpm range. (better top end) and pulling the same grade with the same camper achieved better speed at same or lower egts, in OD. While accelerating !

But that's been my experience.

The Brad

Reaction score
Same experience here, seemed like I was always under the 38r with the WW2, granted, that wheel sucks. The stock wheel was too surge happy below 2k and I don't mean while flooring it, just giving a little more throttle to accelerate. I never expected the SXE to to flow more on top, but a wot run in my "80 daily" tune is smoke free and barely breaks 1100*. Same scenario with the 38r hazed out the road and hit 1350*.

TARM

Reaction score
My preference is the garret GTX line but its not exactly a low cost choice. But man does my gtx4294r seem to be a sweet spot. Spools low and fast like a 38r but wow does it move some serious air and pull hard. I prefer the durability of the garrett line.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
My preference is the garret GTX line but its not exactly a low cost choice. But man does my gtx4294r seem to be a sweet spot. Spools low and fast like a 38r but wow does it move some serious air and pull hard. I prefer the durability of the garrett line.

I'd love to try a 4294, it's just not in the budget ! I've never read a poor review of them.

The sxe's seem to be strong performers per dollar. Until they came out I was set on a 4294 myself.

TARM

Reaction score
One guy grabbed a old pull off journal bearing and rebuilt it. His track MPH put him in the mid 600s. That was with Nates 200% 300cc injectors IIRC.

JDelaney

Reaction score
Ty, not knocking the 38R. It was a good upgrade at one time. These new SXE turbos work really good! You really need to try one, you just might like it.

TARM

Reaction score
How much ICP/PW does it take to empty your 465/200s?

OH they are never meant to be emptied. That was actually not the point of the capacity. Actually no injector should be setup to use its full capacity as I understand it. Always want some extra buffer room. But Nate did do some massaging and tweaking on the oil and fuel side to get better flow rates. I will have to find the flow sheet print out. The extra fuel was there sort of stop gap where it would not have enough time for fill time there would still be capacity. Its really not needed but adding the extra capacity is not really that costly.

I wanted them setup so I would never need more fuel and only need nozzle change. I wanted a easy option to go to 400% if I chose.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Look at the maps on the sxe loneand you will understand why they have the capability to outflow the 38r up top. I even think the 62mm might even be comparable or knocking on its door. Couple that with a much more efficient exhaust side and you have a turbo that spools as good as a 38r with considerable more air than a 38r (364.5). I posted maps a while back illustrating this.

That 4294 would be awesome to try, but I suspect that compared to these new BW turbos, there is a point of diminishing returns if running the correct turbo/injector combo for what you do with the truck on a regular basis. Could be wrong in my assumption though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Look at the maps on the sxe loneand you will understand why they have the capability to outflow the 38r up top. I even think the 62mm might even be comparable or knocking on its door. Couple that with a much more efficient exhaust side and you have a turbo that spools as good as a 38r with considerable more air than a 38r (364.5). I posted maps a while back illustrating this.

That 4294 would be awesome to try, but I suspect that compared to these new BW turbos, there is a point of diminishing returns if running the correct turbo/injector combo for what you do with the truck on a regular basis. Could be wrong in my assumption though.

At this point I have no desire to try one, before the sxe came out I did. (Maybe I worded that wrong before) but I just couldn't justify it's price tag + the install kit. I agree the compressor maps look far better on even the 364.5sxe than a 38R, and running both the 38R and 366sxe I can tell you how much different the truck runs, and I did find turbine info, and started looking at those maps too but quickly lost interest and ended up trusting my vendor and what I saw of the compressor map.

I've tried not to post a lot about it yet, because I didn't want it to seem like a kid with new candy, but everything I've done with it so far has far exceeded expectations, and performance doing the same thing with only the 38R as the difference. I ordered a dual boost gauge from Hewitt gauges (great people btw!) to measure boost vs back pressure, and it should be here this week. I wanted to post good useful data, and secondly, determine whether I had picked the correct exhaust housing (1.0) which has great spool up characteristics! I have made a few posts showing my excitement, but I plan to get some boost vs back pressure data, and want to load up super heavy and tow some more. So far, when you load it down, it seems like the turbo works even better than it does empty with normal/moderate acceleration.

Last edited:

Z_racing14

Reaction score
The 364.5 spools wayyyyy better that the 38r, there is no comparison there.

Totally agree. If someone is happy with a 38r they are happy with average...nothing wrong with that. As soon as you tow or even drive around an sxe equipped truck you are ready to fire the 38r in the garbage can, or at least I was. Keep in mind this was all done with just a turbo change not even a tune adjustment from Matt on the 38r vs 366sxe. Night n Day better

ja_cain

Reaction score
Totally agree. If someone is happy with a 38r they are happy with average...nothing wrong with that. As soon as you tow or even drive around an sxe equipped truck you are ready to fire the 38r in the garbage can, or at least I was. Keep in mind this was all done with just a turbo change not even a tune adjustment from Matt on the 38r vs 366sxe. Night n Day better
What injectors and transmission you running? Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.