ANYONE have good results from the Steed Speed Manifolds yet?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
which brings up the question....

when the steed speeds were first talked about, everyone raved about what leen has done on other platforms, and about his knowledge of, to lump it all together, "airflow".

so how does a guy with the credentials he supposedly has, make a product that falls this far short?

there were alot of "big name, highly knowledgeable" people/sponsers on this forum, who were syked about it, because they had heard he was making a manifold for the 6.4, which i think sold alot of these before there were actually "proven."

does anyone know where it went, or what went, wrong?? ya, ya ya, i get it, released before totally tested, we already accomplished that. im talking from a design standpoint. is the 2.5" outlet that big of a deal, or is there something else wrong with it?

leen, care to speculate on what you might/will change goin forward? or what you changed from the "original batch" to these, that you think is making the difference you feel is there?

and bigr, even though it lost power in the end, what did it do to the shape of your graph, out of curiousity. if you already posted, i apologize, but its somewhere in these 317 posts, and thats alot to try to sift through.
All elite did was carry out the design that was basically specified by outlet size. I'm pretty sure the next batch will be 2" outlet , possibly less port volume , and they should , in theory work much better. Guess we'll find out. Leen has the knowledge and the capability. Just one of those trial and error things. I think he was fed some pretty inconsistent data at the beginning of this project. Live an learn as I have. I am confident in him to get it right , and when he does I will be rocking them, just not testing again.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I also have faith in Leen getting it correct. I would think the 2" outlet with 2" up pipes would do much better. Again it would have to be tested and proven.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
Leen has the knowledge and the capability. Just one of those trial and error things. I think he was fed some pretty inconsistent data at the beginning of this project. Live an learn as I have. I am confident in him to get it right , and when he does I will be rocking them, just not testing again.

interesting.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
interesting.

I told Tadd from the beginning if I had a drop in Bp and egt drop I would be happy. Leen wants me to have a set that makes me happy , I just won't do the testing on my pile again. It's been a pain from the get go and after all the speculation and doubt of results I am over it. I so wanted the results to be different.

capt dong

Reaction score
Someone send me a set of steed speeds with full 2.5 inch up pipes. I'll port the turbine housing, install and have it dynoed.

steedspeed

Reaction score
These were the same manifolds used on Godzilla. That truck picked up well and made enough power to bend a rod. There is something going on here that isn't making any sense to me. I have some guys seeing way better power and some losing! I'm wondering if there is something common to the gainers and common to the losers. Perhaps a change in how the VGT is controlled? If EBP is lower then perhaps vanes won't open soon enough because it is intended to open at higher pressure? Perhaps if the vanes were open sooner the truck would perform better. I think it was Lubeowner that said something about the VGT turbos working better with vanes almost open from the start. Perhaps the primary turbo is holding it back?

jdgleason

Reaction score
These were the same manifolds used on Godzilla. That truck picked up well and made enough power to bend a rod. There is something going on here that isn't making any sense to me. I have some guys seeing way better power and some losing! I'm wondering if there is something common to the gainers and common to the losers. Perhaps a change in how the VGT is controlled? If EBP is lower then perhaps vanes won't open soon enough because it is intended to open at higher pressure? Perhaps if the vanes were open sooner the truck would perform better. I think it was Lubeowner that said something about the VGT turbos working better with vanes almost open from the start. Perhaps the primary turbo is holding it back?

We can't compare anything to Godzilla and can't derive any type of results based on that truck. We added several hundred horsepower to it with the addition of a triple turbo setup and a cam change as well. We can't even begin to pretend that we have any idea how those manifolds effected the setup. It was the first and only like it, so there is nothing to compare to.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Maybe the vanes arent staying closed long enough with the manifolds to make bp stay up and the turbos spool.

I bet with single turbo or non VGT applications the manifolds work well

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Wouldn't opening the vanes lower back pressure?
Yes it would lower bp, by essentially making the ar ratio of the high pressures exhaust housing way to big. w Which would make your spool up slower and performance even worse.
If anything you need to do the exact opposite and close the vanes up.

Gearhead

Reaction score
The VGT tries to run a commanded backpressure (restriction of the turbo, supposed to be)... is it possible that you are throwing the sensor off because of its location and possibly skewing the computer's reading of backpressure?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The VGT tries to run a commanded backpressure (restriction of the turbo, supposed to be)... is it possible that you are throwing the sensor off because of its location and possibly skewing the computer's reading of backpressure?

I'm sure it could but the pressure should be equal throughout the pipe and manifold I would imagine

steedspeed

Reaction score
I'm sure it could but the pressure should be equal throughout the pipe and manifold I would imagine

Pressure is different in every part of the pipes and manifolds. Pressure at inside of a radius is lower than pressure at outside for example. Put a sensor at outside radius it will read high put it at inside it will read low.

Latest posts

Members online