Budget Bulletproofing plan?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
My truck is 6ho non studded with the sinister coolant filter,sinister Egr and cooler delete. Updated blue fuel pressure spring. REV X was a must for me. I also have the BPD 58v 6phs ficm . The tune I run most is Innovative diesels extreme race tune. (When you call to order your tunes Eric or whoever you talk to will find out what'sdone to your truck and he will write the tune accordingly. )I use the Sct x3 and edge cts for monitoring.

Overall I'm really happy with the performance of my truck. I feel as though it's a beast. It definitely puts a smile on my face when i push on the skinny pedal.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
personally I like Flash tuner SCT X3 or similar, and regular gauges, otherwise if you want a monitor I think I would go with the edge since I think you can get a pod for it so that it is a clean mount. If you can get a clean mounting solution for the TS/Livewire then that would be my choice since it is a single unit tuner/monitor.

As for tuning I would run stock till it blows or a lower stage street tune. I ran a non studded version of Xtreme Race from day one and made it about 20k before I was forced to stud the truck, some guys only make it less than 100 miles before everything blows. So if you are on a budget, making a move that will eventually force another move just isn't too smart.

Budget aside... I love how Xtreme Race runs daily, I have about 80k+ daily driving xtreme race now with highway, country roads, city driving and light towing (under 10k) and it just runs/shifts greatly.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
personally I like Flash tuner SCT X3 or similar, and regular gauges, otherwise if you want a monitor I think I would go with the edge since I think you can get a pod for it so that it is a clean mount. If you can get a clean mounting solution for the TS/Livewire then that would be my choice since it is a single unit tuner/monitor.

As for tuning I would run stock till it blows or a lower stage street tune. I ran a non studded version of Xtreme Race from day one and made it about 20k before I was forced to stud the truck, some guys only make it less than 100 miles before everything blows. So if you are on a budget, making a move that will eventually force another move just isn't too smart.

Budget aside... I love how Xtreme Race runs daily, I have about 80k+ daily driving xtreme race now with highway, country roads, city driving and light towing (under 10k) and it just runs/shifts greatly.

The monitor would let me look at things like FICM voltage, ICP etc. and would be cheaper. Eventually a set up like this would be nice:(tapatalk is being a dik and won't let me post, I'll try again later) with gauges for EGT, Boost and something else(trans temp? Fuel pressure?)

I'm assuming longevity with a tune is dependent on driving style. I think a non studded XRace or XStreet or the like should be fine.

Sent from the Bayou

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
A coolant filter will not catch all debris. It is a bypass filter that filters a small amount of coolant at a time. It looks as though absolute's filter kit is superior to many others because of the larger hoses.

It really all depends on how well the truck was maintained. If the wrong coolant was put in or it wasn't changed on a 150k mile truck, chances are its pretty nasty.

swinky

Reaction score
Put a coolant filter and blue spring on it asap, then a scangauge. Then do everything else at once. If you do a cooler now you're going to want to do another one when you stud it. Doing it separate is waisted time and money. Do it once and do it right.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm assuming longevity with a tune is dependent on driving style. I think a non studded XRace or XStreet or the like should be fine.

Sent from the Bayou

You're crazy for thinking that. I would never tune a 6.0 and think youre going to be fine. Its going to run good and youre gonna run it pretty hard, dont lie to yourself. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails but I wouldnt count on it lasting longer than a week. Leave it stock (or a custom economy tune) and tune it after shes studded or maybe a month or two before you can afford to stud it.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
most studded trucks that are being sold have already had studs,heads checked and decked, oil cooler, egr delete. at least all the ones we sell that's all pretty basic stuff.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
You're crazy for thinking that. I would never tune a 6.0 and think youre going to be fine. Its going to run good and youre gonna run it pretty hard, dont lie to yourself. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails but I wouldnt count on it lasting longer than a week. Leave it stock (or a custom economy tune) and tune it after shes studded or maybe a month or two before you can afford to stud it.

I thought the tunes specifically for nonstudded trucks would be "safe" if driven responsibly. I knew the others would be stupid and world "persuade" me into studding soon. I get what you're saying, but just to make sure, you're saying a tune like the SRL is a no no?

Sent from the Bayou

jdc753

Reaction score
It is still a pretty big risk even when written for nonstudded trucks, just the nature of the beast with 6.0's even stock they might blow so really anything that will increase timing or fueling might be enough to push it over the edge.

If you weren't looking to do all this work under a budget, then by all means, tune it and run it. Only reason we say to wait on tuning is because you are phasing this along a budget, and don't want to see your hand forced before you are financially ready.

swinky

Reaction score
It is still a pretty big risk even when written for nonstudded trucks, just the nature of the beast with 6.0's even stock they might blow so really anything that will increase timing or fueling might be enough to push it over the edge.

If you weren't looking to do all this work under a budget, then by all means, tune it and run it. Only reason we say to wait on tuning is because you are phasing this along a budget, and don't want to see your hand forced before you are financially ready.

Exactly. A stock 6.0 runs as good as most tuned 7.3s so just stick with that until you get it studded, or a light tune and except the risk.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.