Building a 6.4 tow pig

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
JD what gearhead tune specifically? I ran cooler towing in hot street than I currently am in street. But I'd like the trans to live as long as possible, so I turned it down. I'm running torque tows. Truck hates running between 55-63mph, temps climb between then cool off once I get it over 65.

Reaction score
What about a trans cooler? Motor will live but you burn your trans and that's it? I believe a transmission cooler with electric fan and a mag tec pan will keep your trans happy

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Not really needed unless you do allot of towing in the mountains at slow speeds where the converter isn't locked

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What about a trans cooler? Motor will live but you burn your trans and that's it? I believe a transmission cooler with electric fan and a mag tec pan will keep your trans happy

I don't find that stuff to really be a necessity. 6.4's come with a good size cooler from the factory. The deep pan being worth its money in temp drops is a debatable topic, IMO.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I don't find that stuff to really be a necessity. 6.4's come with a good size cooler from the factory. The deep pan being worth its money in temp drops is a debatable topic, IMO.

with steve on this.

after multiple talks with brian at BTS and a few fried transmissions. i was still pushed away from the deep pan.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Trans run a little hotter with a 450 because of higher input speeds. All I've done is air upgrade. NL IC, CAC pipe. EGR delete and Industrial tow powers running GearHead non studded files. Pull 15,000lb fifth wheel at 70mph all day long. I pulled it up a hill that eats trucks from time to time and just let it eat. No kick down, 1200deg at 70mph with about 1/4 throttle left in it. And into a 40mph head wind.

3brorce

Reaction score
If I was OP and wanted a reliable tow pig I would just do exhaust, intake, delete, studs, tune and call it a day. Stock chargers will be just fine for what he is looking for. Trans should last sometime as well.

sagebel

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I've been in the dark on the 6.4s. Went from a 2000 7.3 to a 2011 6.7 as soon as they were available. I am looking at an '08 450 next week.

jdgleason

Reaction score
JD what gearhead tune specifically? I ran cooler towing in hot street than I currently am in street. But I'd like the trans to live as long as possible, so I turned it down. I'm running torque tows. Truck hates running between 55-63mph, temps climb between then cool off once I get it over 65.

My truck never comes out of race. Depending how heavy you tow will dictate the tune. I've pulled 10-11k with the cruise set at 85 and not touched 1,000* though. That was with the 72 and stock fuel.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
My truck never comes out of race. Depending how heavy you tow will dictate the tune. I've pulled 10-11k with the cruise set at 85 and not touched 1,000* though. That was with the 72 and stock fuel.

Which is why I'd do an upgraded atmo. It's pretty inexpensive and IMO definitely worth it.

Sent from the Bayou

B585Ford

Reaction score
Which is why I'd do an upgraded atmo. It's pretty inexpensive and IMO definitely worth it.

Sent from the Bayou

:whs: I only have the 71, but it has been the best mod I have done (except I wish I had 72 or 76). Its nice climbing long grades towing 15k+ without having to worry about EGTs.

StockCar#10

Reaction score
I agree with ^ but I would leave the lpfp alone unless u need the power doing a low pressure is just a non reliable mod IMO
Throw a good converter in there

OP put an air dog or fass on it. An remove your factory frame mounted filter. Services will be cheaper an it a better fuel system in general. Then get a 71 drop in good tunes, a good intake an delete everything and you'll be set.... SAE

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I wouldn't get an airdog or fass if you have it to me. they are super unreliable right now, and I'd hate to get stranded towing in the middle of no where. plus you don't really gain much on stock fuel.

Sent reeming out the newly rebuilt Clifford

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
No Limit Intake
Downpipe
4 or 5" exhaust
H&S with Gearheard Tunes
No Limit Cold Side Pipe with EGR Delete
Airbags
Ported intake manifold
Intercooler
CCV

That should be right at your price range... You'd have to do everything you could think of to get the EGTs into a dangerous range.

Run a street/aggresive street tune custom setup for towing and no studs by Matt

If you want to get into Towing huge at huge HP you might as well start saving for around 10K because getting into the motor, building the tranny and swapping turbo's will get you there before you even blink

Last edited:

sagebel

Reaction score
My 6.7 is deleted (until tomorrow morning) and I am running a mini max. I am I missing something or can I run the minimax on a 6.4 once I return the current truck back to stock?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.