Buying tips for brand new truck?

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Okay so I think my dad is going to pull the trigger on either a 2013 or 2014 f450. Any tips when working with the dealer? Also he is probably going to custom order one to his liking so not sure if that gives us less bargaining room or not.

Also, is ford going to be redoing the line in 2015? Would suck to buy one just to be the outdated model after a year

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
According to my salesman friend at Ford, they are completely redoing the trucks in '15 to coincide with the 50 year anniversary of the Mustang. I just negotiated a deal for a '13 F350 CC/LB Lariat thats pretty much loaded up and got $9k off the sticker. There really isn't a big difference from '13-14, I think the brakes are bigger and the NAV screen is larger in the '14s, thats it. I've found that the more discounts on the trucks is for ones with more options. There are still some '12s out there floating around, maybe he could negotiate a deal for a leftover? I understand about getting what you want, I just got very lucky that I found mine 250 miles away and it has every option I want. Best of luck to dad, its very exciting to buy a new truck and the new 6.7's are awesome! I can't wait to get mine.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
According to my salesman friend at Ford, they are completely redoing the trucks in '15 to coincide with the 50 year anniversary of the Mustang. I just negotiated a deal for a '13 F350 CC/LB Lariat thats pretty much loaded up and got $9k off the sticker. There really isn't a big difference from '13-14, I think the brakes are bigger and the NAV screen is larger in the '14s, thats it. I've found that the more discounts on the trucks is for ones with more options. There are still some '12s out there floating around, maybe he could negotiate a deal for a leftover? I understand about getting what you want, I just got very lucky that I found mine 250 miles away and it has every option I want. Best of luck to dad, its very exciting to buy a new truck and the new 6.7's are awesome! I can't wait to get mine.

i heard that too about the 15' .. that being said i considered waiting on the 14' but i just dont think the rebates will be as good on brand new trucks and i doubt any upgrades will be substantial enuff to wait another 3 months.

op- if youre waiting for a 14' ask your dealer about rebates on new trucks. someitmes there are, and sometimes there arent.

Atsah

Reaction score
For me it was a no brainer, the 12 had lots of rebates and dealer discounts on it and really has no differances cosmetically or mechanically than a 13 or 14..

As far as special ordering, you allways pay more than a truck that's on th lot for a couple of reasons.. They discount trucks that have been there for a while and special ordering a 14 in the 13 calender year kills the rebates or lowers the amount of the rebates substantially..

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
For me it was a no brainer, the 12 had lots of rebates and dealer discounts on it and really has no differances cosmetically or mechanically than a 13 or 14..

As far as special ordering, you allways pay more than a truck that's on th lot for a couple of reasons.. They discount trucks that have been there for a while and special ordering a 14 in the 13 calender year kills the rebates or lowers the amount of the rebates substantially..

By far the biggest difference from 12' to 13' was my ford touch , that's what I waited for.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
By far the biggest difference from 12' to 13' was my ford touch , that's what I waited for.

yep definitely would prefer the '13.

Joe (HD250) told me about a local dealership that is doing $0.01 over dealer invoice so I've gotten in touch with the sales rep there to see what they can do for us.

fine69

Reaction score
yep definitely would prefer the '13.

Joe (HD250) told me about a local dealership that is doing $0.01 over dealer invoice so I've gotten in touch with the sales rep there to see what they can do for us.

Ask them about the holdback from Ford too. Just about every dealer around here will sell at invoice.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
should I ask them about that though? article I just read (had to look up what it was) said not to mention holdback unless they try to say they aren't making any money on it

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
should I ask them about that though? article I just read (had to look up what it was) said not to mention holdback unless they try to say they aren't making any money on it

if their honest they and want the volume, they will split the hold back with you, they have to make something, it got washed many times lol . i got ford A plan pricing, and they split it with me.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
kinda makes sense they would revamp the whole line. 50th anniversary of mustang, and release of the atlas. wonder if there will be a new engine

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
if their honest they and want the volume, they will split the hold back with you, they have to make something, it got washed many times lol . i got ford A plan pricing, and they split it with me.

awesome I will definitely mention it then, thanks!

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Shone, salesman friend said Ford is tight lipped so far about the '15 trucks but there will be big changes considering the Mustang. Not many changes from '13-14 on the trucks because the '15s will be drastically different.

Last edited:

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
awesome I will definitely mention it then, thanks!

It was explained to me that if the dealer has to locate a vehicle for you, the pricing can't be as good (money off wise) because the dealer your working with is losing the holdback to the dealer who has the vehicle. I was told that the dealer in MD that has my truck is keeping the $1912 holdback for not doing anything. My dealer in NJ can't make that $1912 on the truck because they have to get it for me. Something to think about.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
yea more than likely he will be ordering one since the combo he wants (f450 autumn red adobe leather lariat ultimate package) is about impossible to find.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
they arent doing autumn red in 2014, only ruby red metallic. Might be a deal breaker

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.