CDL section?

3brorce

Reaction score
Going to be getting CDL here shortly. Have been driving the rig on the farm for sometime but time to make it legal so I can maybe haul gravel for the old man

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I hope to be getting mine soon as well.

Sent from the left lane with the hammer down...

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I've had my class 3 (straight body truck, no trailer) since I was 18. Just went and passed my written exam for class 1 (semi-truck) so now I can legally drive with someone else who has a class 1 for a few months and then I can do my driving test. A bit nervous about that but once it's done, it's done for life I guess.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
I have never had a non CDL drivers license. I went from nothing to class a (trailer truck) permit, to class a license 5 days after my 16th birthday. I was lucky enough to be able to use my license before I turned 18, because my father owned the trucking company I took over after he passed. Plus it was years ago, so thing were not as strict as they are this day in age.

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
I have never had a non CDL drivers license. I went from nothing to class a (trailer truck) permit, to class a license 5 days after my 16th birthday. I was lucky enough to be able to use my license before I turned 18, because my father owned the trucking company I took over after he passed. Plus it was years ago, so thing were not as strict as they are this day in age.

Can't get your CDL until 18 here. Can't leave the state until you're 21.

All I'll say to those who are working on their CDL is don't bother with a class B you'll just want to step up to an A later and.... pre-trip pre-trip pre-trip!

Bobby@cp

Reaction score

All I'll say to those who are working on their CDL is don't bother with a class B you'll just want to step up to an A later and.... pre-trip pre-trip pre-trip!

Things have changed since he got his cdl....... And yes i will be getting my class A

duddy

Reaction score
got class A cdl when I turned 18. For those that can take a third party test. Easiest way i have seen is a day cab with a low boy or any flat bed. Some supply them and it makes life so much nicer while taking the test. It was worth the extra money to run their truck, alot less headaches.

Jason

Reaction score
If you're getting your license...go ahead and get ALL endorsements. Doubles/triples, haz-mat, tanker, etc. I have them all now, but have got them as needed. Haz-mat takes a while to get due to background checks, etc., and it'll help you open up your availability. I didnt want any of them, but for my current job, I needed them all...and a job like I have, guys do 30 years at and retire...

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Most people don't get Hazmat because of the process & having to go through it all over again when you renew your license. I added Hazmat onto mine so the only thing I can't drive is a school bus or a pass bus. Not a huge worry about that though, double/triple, tanker, hazmat I'm all legal. I got to drive one of our tri axle Kenworths today & haul a backhoe to/from a job because I was the only free guy with a class A, anyone else only has a B or no CDL.

abbottfarms

Reaction score

Laws have changed a lot since I started driving. Not 100% sure one age limits other then the have to be 21 to go out of state. But I am pretty sure you can still get your CDL before 18 here in Maine, since they offer "truck driving" at the local high school, what they do is break it up into 2 years for the kids, when you take this course you get your class B your junior year then your class A your senior year. Obviously in this day in age, you could never use it other then on the "farm" because of insurance reasons. I'm sure some states have set the age to 18, but when I got my CDL they didn't care how old you were as long as you could pass the test.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
If you're getting your license...go ahead and get ALL endorsements. Doubles/triples, haz-mat, tanker, etc. I have them all now, but have got them as needed. Haz-mat takes a while to get due to background checks, etc., and it'll help you open up your availability. I didnt want any of them, but for my current job, I needed them all...and a job like I have, guys do 30 years at and retire...

:whs: The haz-mat is sorta a pita to renew, but even if all you do is drive a oil truck in the winter to pass the time, it's well worth having.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Laws have changed a lot since I started driving. Not 100% sure one age limits other then the have to be 21 to go out of state. But I am pretty sure you can still get your CDL before 18 here in Maine, since they offer "truck driving" at the local high school, what they do is break it up into 2 years for the kids, when you take this course you get your class B your junior year then your class A your senior year. Obviously in this day in age, you could never use it other then on the "farm" because of insurance reasons. I'm sure some states have set the age to 18, but when I got my CDL they didn't care how old you were as long as you could pass the test.

Around here there are asphalt/tree/construction company's that will hire an 18yr old with a CDL. Mostly because of the size of the company & the insurance they have plus they usually stay inside a 100 air mile radius of the yard. One of our low boy drivers just turned 21 this past summer but started doing low boy when he was 19-20. Before that he ran dump truck & a few other trucks at his jobs before this one. Makes me regret not getting mine when I was 18.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Cat, that's good to hear. I have hired a couple younger guys in the past. But my insurance goes up the for each year younger then 28. I started spotting trailers in the woods back in the day for my father, then moved on to hauling wood and the equipment, plus tinkering. After my father passed I took over the family trucking business, wasn't until just 5-6 years ago we changed the name over to my name on the door. Kinda was a bitter sweet day to see my father's name come off, and mine go on. But I'd run with his name on the door for a number of years.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
The biggest problem with trucking is to get in anywhere besides Swift/Schneider/insert chitty OTR company here/ext...You need to have 2 years experience in a truck. The company I'm with now (asphalt/dirt work) will work with an 18yr old that has a CDL. Show up with a good attitude & be eager to work & they will teach you how to drive. Then when they feel you can handle a truck on the road they will throw you out with a "big brother" to show you the ropes for a week or 2. Then the trainer will say your clear & you get a truck & go work. I really wish more places were like that & wanted to put time into new guys.

indiana lineman

Reaction score
Had to get my CDL to be on the line side of the company. Drove a 70' bucket for several years. Only talking around 45,000 lbs in an automatic, International with tandem axles. I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten my CDL by company policy.
Always figured I'd end up in a bigger truck when I was younger.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
The biggest problem with trucking is to get in anywhere besides Swift/Schneider/insert chitty OTR company here/ext...You need to have 2 years experience in a truck. The company I'm with now (asphalt/dirt work) will work with an 18yr old that has a CDL. Show up with a good attitude & be eager to work & they will teach you how to drive. Then when they feel you can handle a truck on the road they will throw you out with a "big brother" to show you the ropes for a week or 2. Then the trainer will say your clear & you get a truck & go work. I really wish more places were like that & wanted to put time into new guys.

Back a few years ago, I hired a kid that was 21 years old. Put him in my oldest truck, within 2 weeks he had it all waxed up, polished better then it was when it brand new. He was a good driver, limited experience, never hauled 100,000 lbs so I left him hauling chips for about 5 months then threw him on round wood. He did great, easy on the truck and a very hard worker. Needless to say within 8 months he was in a newer truck that I purchased and he is one of the few guys I kept when I downsized last spring. He's now 24 and I'd hate to loose him, but I took a chance on him because I felt bad for him. He was 21, married 2 years, baby on the way, and the company he had worked for for 3 years laid him off due to lack of work. He was a concrete carpenter IIRC. Was pretty nervous the first few weeks, but I am really glad I took that chance. Cost me about $1400 more a year to insure him, now with 3.5 years of hauling 100,000 lbs my insurance is back to normal.

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
I interviewed with ABF yesterday, and a local gas hauling gig this morning... Will be a few weeks before I hear back from either. Not sure which way to go... ABF pays better, better benefits, but not sure about their status with the teamsters for the next 3 months, let alone 30 years... Gas hauling is incredibly stable. Just sucks that it doesn't pay OT...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.