cknox121's slow build

Cknox121

Reaction score
Nothing like forced up grades! Trucks been puking coolant and finally blew a bellow. Pulled it into the shop at my parents house and started at it. After changing turbos cab on, I swore I would pull the cab next time I had to do anything to the motor. So I proceeded to do just that. FYI pulling the cab is pretty simple. Watch senior master techs video on YouTube and it tells you also everything. Just remember to disconnect and watch for clearances. Especially if you have aftermarket sh!it on. Broke my damn train horn..

Anyways, cabs in the air, one head is off, other on is ready to come off. Pictures once this iPad stops acting a fool.

Edit- for not having a shop manual, I have about 10hrs into this and feel I did pretty well. I just worked my was from passenger side of motor to driver side removing what ever was in the way to get to the heads. The wiring harness that crosses over, under, around, through, and cris-crossed f'd but pos I finally got removed. That was probably the hardest part. I will purchase a used shop manual if anybody has one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
My lift in my parts shop
ebagarup.jpg

Truck bed full of parts, hope I remember how it all goes
dazy7ape.jpg
seqynu2e.jpg
yme2e4un.jpg

Cabs up, head is off other waiting to be taken off once I get some free time. Working slowly on this, going to take awhile to get done so I'm in no rush.
uhe2yze3.jpg
toasty lol
se8eje8a.jpg
9y6e4ame.jpg
ypenu6yh.jpg
7a8amyda.jpg
ugu3eper.jpg
ry8a5u3u.jpg

Injectors, rockers, etc
2umynare.jpg
yjape2yd.jpg
zunana5u.jpg

I also have a cracked piston in #2 and lots of heat.

If any venders would like to give me pricing on the following I would appreciate it very much! Can email it to me at [email protected]

Plans are as follows for reliable dd with stock fuel and upgraded atmo, no plans past that.

I have the following

Studs
Gaskets for everything
That's it lol

I need

Springs
Pushrods
Pistons - delipped, possibly coated
Up pipes with egr provision

Depending on how far I take it may go ahead and get the block machined, balanced, new bearings, and decked. So far I have less than 1k in parts for all the gaskets and studs.

Hopefully I can stay under 3k and have a pretty solid motor after I'm done.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Another toasty picture
py7amete.jpg
ege9y4yb.jpg
ujuty3y8.jpg
nenazuda.jpg

Also looked at the head looks like there might be a crack or 2 but I'm going to reuse them

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
Wow. Lots of heat! What tune were you running? Are you going to have the injectore flowed?

I was running hd 300 with compounds and gear head with single turbo.

Not sure??? Think I should?

She was definitely pretty warm! How many are melted on the lip?

I just pulled that one side off, and all 4 had at least melted a little

Good job on the tear down bud. Wish I had a shop to do this in. I'd be all over it lol

Lots of work! First time tearing into something this deep. Not as bad as you would think though. I couldn't imaging paying 3-5k in labor for this job.

As of now I'm going to remove the other head, all accessories, and pull the block. Probably send the block, heads and new parts to a machine shop and let them build the block. Anybody know of a good shop in Georgia that could do it?

sootie

Reaction score
hit up Morgan @ Midwest diesel for good pricing on motor parts esp pistons,,,

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Isn't powerstroke help down in Georgia? Maybe call him, I doubt he does it in house but might tell you were he sends his stuff

Cknox121

Reaction score
This place is out of Braselton. Called engine services

Thanks I'll check then out

hit up Morgan @ Midwest diesel for good pricing on motor parts esp pistons,,,

He supposed to be working on a quote for me.

Isn't powerstroke help down in Georgia? Maybe call him, I doubt he does it in house but might tell you were he sends his stuff

I think his name is bill. Crazy guy. I get a kick out of his videos

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check then out

He supposed to be working on a quote for me.

I think his name is bill. Crazy guy. I get a kick out of his videos

He cracks me up too!

"This is a school bus engine!" Oh bill

Cknox121

Reaction score
Watching his videos now for kick, "big dog diesel's new fire ringed heads" to be exact.

Serious note.... I sprayed everything down with wd-40 while it sits all week. That should prevent rust I hope. I also covered everything with rags.

Upon further inspection tonight, I found 1 crack in piston #2 the others have slight melting on the lips. Crack doesn't seem large enough to have caused any previous conditions, although I'm sure it wouldn't have been long. Haven't had a chance to take other head off. Can wait to see what's under it. Would I be foolish to get those delipped and re run them?

Oh and I took a good look around..... There is a ton of sh*t that you have to remove to do this. Almost overwhelming! Still, pretty easy considering the application. Don't be scared fellow PSA members! It's only nuts and bolts lol

Latest posts

Members online