couple 6.7 questions

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So 4 months ago my 7.3L caught on fire and burned to the ground, and I am one day away from purchasing a 2012 6.7l. Its a little on the high milage side but its all stock.

If I get this kit: http://www.dieselops.com/h-s-mini-m...MIh_fS18Cn1QIVkoZ-Ch3DswwmEAQYASABEgJ-GvD_BwE (I know not a site sponsor).

This will allow me to take all the EPA junk off right? Like everything? I dont even want the DEF tank on the truck anymore either. Also the mini-maxx is capable of custom tunes? It also serves as a monitor?

I am used to the old 7.3 where I had analog gauges but the mini-maxx monitors boost, trans temp, and egt? Does it need anything extra to do this?

I read that a fuel water separator is a good idea for the fuel pump. Which one is a bang for the buck?

Whats the deal with replacing the intercooler pipe? Its plastic right? and its the cold side? benefits?

Turbo seems to be the biggest complaint, and I have felt the lag this truck has on a quick start, but until it fails I doubt Ill do anything with it.

What else would make my life simpler? This pavement queen im buying is going to be nothing but a tow rig from now on. Nothing crazy.

Im still feeling a little lost switching engines, way big differences and yes I used the search function and tried reading the last 15 pages on this forum.

Thanks in advance!

sootie

Reaction score
yes that kit will allow you to do everything.
yes the mini maxx can accommodate custom tunes, yes it is also a monitor, no it does not need anything extra to get you going except you will have to move a pyro probe from the exhaust you have removed, up to the block off plate in the egr removal kit to get an egt reading.

stock low pressure fuel system is absolutely fine imo. If you feel you must upgrade it, H&S is the only one i would consider.

Cold side pipe is plastic and has a plastic coupler that is prone to failing under high load/boost conditions. H&S and MPD both have solutions for this.

Turbos are a weak spot by design but as tuning progressed, failures became less common. Run it until it fails. Oh and any lag you experienced will likely disappear with tuning, 11-14 model trucks are about the fastest spooling turbos on the road.

I would contact No Limit for a stage 1 intake and their egr removal kits-i bet they will even do a package deal on exhaust as well. Support this site and USA made product-not blue offshore copies.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Awesome Thanks for the advice!

So on the exhaust, I see several kits that say down pipe back or D P F back. If I remove the D P F then I have to get a separate down pipe and then add a down pipe back kit?

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Awesome Thanks for the advice!

So on the exhaust, I see several kits that say down pipe back or EGR back. If I remove the EGR then I have to get a separate down pipe and then add a down pipe back kit?

egr has nothing to do with the exhaust system.

Down pipe back is the whole system (likely what you want).

If you want just a deeleet pipe, that will allow you to remove the deepeeff and retain stock tailpipe etc.

deepeef back are for looks only and do not impact emissions equipment, performance or sound. (not what you want)

Last edited:

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Sorry I edited it I meant D P F.

Thank you sir! This whole 6.7 thing is sounding easier then most of the 7.3l stuff, specially for power. I must have had my head in the sand or something when all this was happening. 275 horse vs 440 horse is a world of difference for sure.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I think what you were talking about with the water separtor is a clear bowl with a filter to allow you to see if there is crap in it correct? If so, the diesel site one is what most of the guys that have it are running, from what ive read. Seems to be a good product, especially as tempermental as these fuel systems can be when crap is run through them.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
we beat any and everybody's price with better products and better service, and certainly better knowledge of the product. hit us up and we'll make you a deal you cant refuse.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
we beat any and everybody's price with better products and better service, and certainly better knowledge of the product. hit us up and we'll make you a deal you cant refuse.

Awesome Thanks!

Ok next question: The truck has a Chelsea-Parker PTO on it (I have no idea what they used it for) and I want to take it off. So can I just unbolt it and get a new cover plate?

It chatters like crazy almost louder then the engine.

sootie

Reaction score
Awesome Thanks!

Ok next question: The truck has a Chelsea-Parker PTO on it (I have no idea what they used it for) and I want to take it off. So can I just unbolt it and get a new cover plate?

It chatters like crazy almost louder then the engine.

yes you can. there will be a small amount of electrical under the dash as well as a switch for it somewhere. Make sure you remove any hydraulic hoses and associated reservoir etc.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Everyone on Facebook says no way a 7.3L burned to the ground. It doesn't happen. :cool::cool:

Haha ok just the entire engine bay and the dash and headliner.

IMG_0286%201_zpsd70vrtaw.jpg

I wish I would have gotten a pic with the hood up but didnt

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
they burn from high pressure oil leaks all the time.

I figured it was sarcasm. But this one was an electric fire, it started on the driver's side, then it grabbed hold of my DIY air filter and 15 minutes later....

Ok next question what "package" (like the order code) do you have to have, to get the gooseneck hitch? This truck doesnt have a ball in the bed (not even a hole cut) and I really need one. If it doesnt have it I guess B&W here I come.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
After lots of reading my next question is, is that it has a shutter when going from a complete stop to a medium acceleration, and of course terrible bouncing at 70mph.

I know there is a TSB to add a harmonic balancer, is that worth the $500? Or is it the drive shaft (go to a 1 piece?)?

Or is it going to be better going with traction bars?

I saw one guy mention that these http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-06hd helped him but not totally confirmed.

Latest posts

Members online