Detroit TrueTrac rear diff traction

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Okay tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. Keep it simple and to the point. I'm looking at getting one and want to be sure it's up to snuff for our trucks. Videos are cool of your ride in action.

alwil

Reaction score
I had one in my 06 for about a year before I sold the truck and I loved it.
Personally I never felt or heard it engage nor did I ever have any binding issues.
I am seriously considering replacing the rear diff in my 12 with the tru track.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
The Detroit trutrac is a limited slip. I am not sure what you are looking for exactly. I also do not know what you are putting this in.

Okay I left out a few details. I understand the concepts of traction devices. Current application would be a 2006 F350. The subject is the Detroit TrueTrac. Pretty simple....stay along those lines.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
you will never hear or feel it engage/disengage. Its not a true locker and uses a clutch system to work.

Read up:

The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...veAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471#tabs-2

Additional questions you can start your own post.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Okay I left out a few details. I understand the concepts of traction devices. Current application would be a 2006 F350. The subject is the Detroit TrueTrac. Pretty simple....stay along those lines.
I guess I do not understand what you are looking for then; you have it all figured out

Pop quiz...Its a gear driven traction unit. What is a Detroit TrueTac??

Read up:

The Detroit Truetrac was the first helical gear differential ever introduced into the automotive aftermarket as an Eaton brand. It remains the leading helical gear-type limited slip differential in the industry. Detroit Truetrac's proven helical gear design eliminates the need for wearable parts, resulting in maintenance free traction recognized not only for its toughness, but its smooth and quiet operation as well.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...veAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471#tabs-2

Additional questions you can start your own post.

I do not know if you are trying to be a prick or not but I appreciate you setting me straight. My bad, my statement was a little off. I must have been thinking of another limited slip.

I retracted all my info as you already have it all figured out and obviously did not even need this thread. Depending on needs, LS is a waste of money; you're better off with a Detroit locker.
Apparently now that Detroit and eaton are one in the same, things have changed a little over the years.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I do not understand what you are looking for then; you have it all figured out

I do not know if you are trying to be a prick or not but I appreciate you setting me straight. My bad, my statement was a little off. I must have been thinking of another limited slip.

I retracted all my info as you already have it all figured out and obviously did not even need this thread. Depending on needs, LS is a waste of money; you're better off with a Detroit locker.
Apparently now that Detroit and eaton are one in the same, things have changed a little over the years.

Best of luck

A Detroit and a trutrac are not the same.......Detroit is a gear locker. The truetrac is a soft locker that uses helical gears to lock both wheels together. They do not operate on any of the same principal. The trutrac uses helical gears and friction to lock both sides together. The trutrac is for the most part smooth. The Detroit is clanky and very rough but robust.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
If it's a street truck then the TrueTrac is the way to go for sure. I'll never have a Ford without one in the rear.

INFRNL

Reaction score
A Detroit and a trutrac are not the same.......Detroit is a gear locker. The truetrac is a soft locker that uses helical gears to lock both wheels together. They do not operate on any of the same principal. The trutrac uses helical gears and friction to lock both sides together. The trutrac is for the most part smooth. The Detroit is clanky and very rough but robust.

Thanks for the explanation, but I am already aware of what they are and how they work. I have used both and never had any noise or issues from my Detroit locker.

Granted I was a bit confused about the internals of the truetrac. I personally wouldn't buy a truetrac if I was spending the money. My truck already has the stock ls, otherwise I would put the Detroit in it.

I was originally making an attemp to help the op from my experience. However he already seems to have all his own answers.

Thanks again, take care

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You can't even compare the stock LS to a TrueTrac.
:whs: and way stronger

Correct. The trutrac is much closer to a full locker than a limited slip.

:whs:

ive beat the hell out of mine and hasnt missed a lick, tow 10k-12k quit a bit. love it..

from a dd to a full competition truck, a detroit trutrac is hard to beat for all around use!!

Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score
I put a trutrac in my 2wd truck and loved everything about. Held up to the power just fine.

Sent from my XT907

INFRNL

Reaction score
You can't even compare the stock LS to a TrueTrac.

Is this in reference to me? if not, please disregard below

If so, I have already stated that I have used the Detroit truetrac and Detroit locker, and I currently have the stock limited slip.
The Detroit truetrac may be a bit better than the stock ls, but its still a limited slip unit and has serious limitations.

This isn't even about me, this is not my thread.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is this in reference to me? if not, please disregard below

If so, I have already stated that I have used the Detroit truetrac and Detroit locker, and I currently have the stock limited slip.
The Detroit truetrac may be a bit better than the stock ls, but its still a limited slip unit and has serious limitations.

This isn't even about me, this is not my thread.

can you tell us the serious limitations?

Latest posts

Members online