Detroit TrueTrac rear diff traction

INFRNL

Reaction score
can you tell us the serious limitations?

serious limitations may be extreme, but here you go:

If you only drive on mostly flat ground these will work great including the factory ls unit. If you go off road at all or get on uneven ground, you might as well have open diffs. If you get into a situation where one wheel is on ice and the other is on dry ground, you may as well have open diffs.

IIRC you drive a dually so you most likely do not go off road. I am not sure how you use your truck. If I am correct, then you will not have any issues.

I'm not going to argue that the truetrac is better than stock ls, but its still a limited slip unit and functions as one. When there is enough of a difference in resistance, the least resistance will give and you basically have an open diff.

IMO for the same price basically, I wouldn't even waste my time on a truetrac and would get the Detroit locker. fully locked unless you are turning. always equal power to both wheels. Never lets you down, where as a truetrac will leave you hanging when you are depending on it the most.
For my current use, my stock ls does me just as well as the truetrac. I can roast both sides of the 4 rear tires all day long, but there are situations like I listed above that the limited slip diffs operate as open diffs and usually happens when you need equal traction from the rears.

Lets just agree to disagree. every post I have made are my opionions from my personal experience from using all 3 units discussed. You guys have your own opinions that have been posted as well. Apparently you have not used a truetrac limited slip as I have.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im not trying to argue with you at all... i use my dually for everything all across this country, i have yet to have it fail on me in any situation, other then being uneven enough to have one side of the rear completely off the ground, which i would prolly never do on purpose.. have you ever actually looked into how a trutrac works? it will never act as open diff with a little break pressure and i have never had to do that... its always been there when i needed it.. i can always spin at least 3 of the 4 rear tires...

davey99ps

Reaction score
I've ran both the original Detroit locker an the tru-trac, hands down I like the tru trac more. It's not as harsh an its held up great in 2 of my trucks now. If all I was doing was building a wheeling/mudding rig than I'd prolly go back to the Detroit locker, but for a multi purpose truck that sees a lot of street duty the tru-trac wins in my book

Spatel23

Reaction score
My opinion......TrueTrac for a daily driver that stays on the street.
Mine has been flawless, keep in mind its a pavement princess.

INFRNL

Reaction score
im not trying to argue with you at all... i use my dually for everything all across this country, i have yet to have it fail on me in any situation, other then being uneven enough to have one side of the rear completely off the ground, which i would prolly never do on purpose.. have you ever actually looked into how a trutrac works? it will never act as open diff with a little break pressure and i have never had to do that... its always been there when i needed it.. i can always spin at least 3 of the 4 rear tires...
I think you were making a joke here at the end:poke:

I've ran both the original Detroit locker an the tru-trac, hands down I like the tru trac more. It's not as harsh an its held up great in 2 of my trucks now. If all I was doing was building a wheeling/mudding rig than I'd prolly go back to the Detroit locker, but for a multi purpose truck that sees a lot of street duty the tru-trac wins in my book
Thats interesting because I never had an issue with my Detroit locker. I could never tell it was there except for the fact that it always worked as intended. I will agree that Detroit lockers are not good on a jeep or similar on pavement cause it wont allow them to turn properly but never an issue on my reg cab lb.

My opinion......TrueTrac for a daily driver that stays on the street.
Mine has been flawless, keep in mind its a pavement princess.
Exactly, great for most on pavement.

Take care guys, I do not want to mess up the ops thread more than I already have. Also keep in mind my statements are my opinion and different stroke for different folks

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
A Detroit and a trutrac are not the same.......Detroit is a gear locker. The truetrac is a soft locker that uses helical gears to lock both wheels together. They do not operate on any of the same principal. The trutrac uses helical gears and friction to lock both sides together. The trutrac is for the most part smooth. The Detroit is clanky and very rough but robust.

Please click the link: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/DifferentialsLockingDifferentials/PCT_317264

"The Eaton Detroit Truetrac® limited-slip differential is the pioneer in helical gear based traction technology. Wheel spin out is limited by the differential, which employs pinion- and side-gear separation forces to automatically transfer torque to the wheel with the best traction."

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I guess I do not understand what you are looking for then; you have it all figured out

I do not know if you are trying to be a prick or not but I appreciate you setting me straight. My bad, my statement was a little off. I must have been thinking of another limited slip.

I retracted all my info as you already have it all figured out and obviously did not even need this thread. Depending on needs, LS is a waste of money; you're better off with a Detroit locker.
Apparently now that Detroit and eaton are one in the same, things have changed a little over the years.

Best of luck

I'm versed in HOW something works. I wanted to hear from people USING the unit versus an opinion about what I "should use". :hammer: Thanks for mucking it up.

For all the others that gave feedback I thank you. Looks like I need to snag one up.

Charles

Reaction score
The Truetrac is an excellent carrier. I've beaten the piss out of one in a decently powered truck for number of years now.

The only thing to be careful of is applying moderate to heavy power while turning sharply and carrying a lot of axle weight, like with a lot of tongue weight from a trailer, as the carrier will try to do it's job of pulling both tires when it's physically impossible to do at that time. If you just keep that in mind and stay out of heavy power in those situations until you straighten back up a bit, you're good.

But that's reality. It's not a problem, and it's NOTHING like trying to deal with a piece of ***ing sh*t detroit locker...

Speaking of which...

Infrnl, you're being a twit. First off, a truetrac will run circles around a detroit locker on the street. LEAVE IT IN THE DUST. Like whole truck lengths ahead...

While the detroit locker is busy back there popping and barking, the truetrac will be gone. Just gone. I've spent my time dealing with a pos detroit locker, and it's a joke. Yet the people fond of them always have your same punk ass attitude about their pos carrier. No you didn't "pony up" for the "real" thing, or anything along those lines. You simply bought an inferior carrier for a vehicle that doesn't spend 99% of it's time offroad, at which point you should have welded the side gears or bought a freakin spool! At least then it would STAY locked, unlike a pos detroit!

I have never.... and I mean NEVER had my truck open up when I was trying to put power down offroad with the truetrac. I'm not trying to hang tire and drive 1mph up a rock with my superduty. I have a 97 350 on backhoe tires for that. Does it have a detroit? *** NO..... I actually wanted it to WORK.... so it's SPOOLED front and rear.

On the other hand, my superduty will lay down 600+ all day long with excellent consistency and repeatability while I slide out sideways at least 4 or 5 times a day. Unless I end up in traffic situations where it becomes 4 or 5 times a mile or so...

A detroit in the same environment would be locking and unlocking constantly, banging and popping, and generally being the worthless pos it is. Hold on while I hit the power..... let off..... THEN coast through my turn.... THEN get back in the power again.... when I'm EMPTY!!!

It's a joke. The detroit locker is a joke. It's a pos for the street, and only slightly less of a pos offroad.

If you're such a badass in need of a real carrier for manly offroad situations, then you'd be running a SPOOL, or simply weld the side gears on a stock carrier if the carrier strength was acceptable.

Lastly.... the stock LS vs a Truetrac???? You're being a moron. On a scale of 1 - 10 of engagement under hard conditions like a long sweeping turn and then under power or similar, if the stock unit ranked a 2 out of 10, the Truetrac would rank a 14...

God high and mighty Detroit locker morons amaze me. The biggest pile of sh*t carrier for a high powered truck on the street, and he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

The only mindset dumber than the detroit locker guys are the guys with selectable lockers. They think their sh*t smells even sweeter because they can flip it to fully locked, when they don't realize that other than FULLY LOCKED.... all they have is FULLY OPEN.... now which one of those is best for laying down 600rwhp coming out of an interstate offramp at 60mph???

Idiots....

Infrnl... grow a brain. No your cock is not 6 feet long, and no you didn't buy a better carrier. I wouldn't pay you .50 for it. I wouldn't install it in anything I owned if you gave it to me for free. It's a worthless pos carrier in 2013. It's not 1950 anymore. We can do oh so much better now.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
I realized I actually had some footage I could show of the Truetrac.

This is ~550rwhp when I was videoing to see how much axle movement I had, which was a lot, prompting me to fab up some axle control links. Relevance here being, notice in the second part of the video that even as I apply enough power to eventually break the tires free at ~40mph, while I'm turning there's no barking, popping, clunking or anything like that, yet when the power exceeds the traction, both tires evenly spin smoothly and controlled. Btw, footage doesn't GET any more in your face that that. You can't be any closer to a rear axle to hear chattering or popping if it were happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxkyD0z9zjY

Btw, that video right there is almost 5 years old, and the carrier was old then.

Here's the Truetrac at ~590rwhp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCSU7eeUCA

Last edited:

INFRNL

Reaction score
Apparently you guys know it all.

@ Charles: you should reread what you have said and pay close attention to the unnecessary name calling cause you are being the same but at a more extreme level.

Just as you guys have, I expressed my opinion and experience. As far as a spool, those are for the track.

Ill fully respond to your rediculous posts when I get off work.

Charles

Reaction score
Apparently you guys know it all.

@ Charles: you should reread what you have said and pay close attention to the unnecessary name calling cause you are being the same but at a more extreme level.

Just as you guys have, I expressed my opinion and experience. As far as a spool, those are for the track.

Ill fully respond to your rediculous posts when I get off work.

Don't bother.

Might as well write a response in machine language for as much value as it will likely contain. Fwiw, I only provided ample tone to match yours of overbearing arrogance and superiority. The main difference being that my comments align with reality and yours align with some parallel universe reality where Detroits don't clunk, ratchet or bark, ever... and they're awesome choices for a diesel pickup...

INFRNL

Reaction score
Don't bother.

Might as well write a response in machine language for as much value as it will likely contain. Fwiw, I only provided ample tone to match yours of overbearing arrogance and superiority. The main difference being that my comments align with reality and yours align with some parallel universe reality where Detroits don't clunk, ratchet or bark, ever... and they're awesome choices for a diesel pickup...

You're probably right as you are with everything because you are god and nobody compares to you.

Thats interesting that was ample tone for me expressing my opinion. I was just expressing my opinion and experience as I have already said.
Just because I didnt have any of the issues you experience doesnt mean its an old pos. The truetrac has been around for a long time too, guess it needs to be replaced as well.
There were much better ways to of responded. This just shows me what type of person you are.

You take you truetracs, ill take my detroits and we will see how far you make it in other terrain off pavement. I guarantee you will not be able to do as much or go as far.

Take care

Charles

Reaction score
You're probably right as you are with everything because you are god and nobody compares to you.

You see there, that's specifically the prick attitude that earned you the treatment you deserve. Just go re-read your first few posts if you need to be reminded of what a prick you are in this thread. In fact, you used the word prick, lol.

It doesn't take a God to know that an LSD is going to outrun an automatic locking differential on the road. Otherwise every autocross and road racing car on planet earth would be running a detroit locker instead. These are the facts, not the opinions in case you're paying attention.

Thats interesting that was ample tone for me expressing my opinion. I was just expressing my opinion and experience as I have already said.

You're one of those little yappy dogs. You talk sh*t, annoy the hell out of everyone, are of no use, and when you get asked to STFU you turn away and scurry off confused as to why everyone's "on your case". You walked into this thread like a total ass hole, holding your imaginary 6 foot long cock. While simultaneously talking out your ass about things and misleading people with your apparent ignorance. First it was something about clutches, then how the stock LSD was fine if you were going to run something silly like a Truetrac, then something about how your detroit locker was a real carrier, yada, yada, yada, some more ignorant sh*t, so on and so forth. That was the general gist of it...

So I tried my best to provide enough actual information to offset the amount of bs the thread had to take courtesy of your input.

Just because I didnt have any of the issues you experience doesnt mean its an old pos. The truetrac has been around for a long time too, guess it needs to be replaced as well.

The principles that the detroit locker operates on are why it's a pos. We have since figured out better ways of doing things. If you haven't "experienced" any of the things INHERENT to the detroit locker, then maybe you should consider the fact that you're oblivious to the world around you, because it's happening if you have a detroit locker carrier, and the vehicle is being driven. Again, these are the facts, not the opinions.

There were much better ways to of responded. This just shows me what type of person you are.

When a drunk slobbers across the bar, knocks 4 handles of liquor on the floor, spits on the bar-tender and pisses in the icebox he doesn't kindly get asked his thoughts on why he did all that, or how it made him feel. He picks his ass up in the back alley an hour later when he regains consciousness.

Your points were not based in reality, you had a prick of an attitude, and the whole time we're dealing with how superior the detroit locker is while trying to decipher your garble, cast down to us from high above...

Gee golly, I can't believe anyone would give you anything less than utmost respect, lol.

You take you truetracs, ill take my detroits and we will see how far you make it in other terrain off pavement. I guarantee you will not be able to do as much or go as far.

Classic....

Let me pick a carrier so that 5% of the time it outperforms another carrier when offroad, when offroad in TOTAL, accounts for .0005% of the total number of revolutions that carrier will EVER make in it's entire lifetime...

Secondly, if I want to hang tires off the ground, I have perfectly good 7018 rods sitting at home for that if a couple hundred dollars for a spool is just out of the question, or if the OEM carriers are sufficiently strong for the application.

In offroad situations where the Truetrac wants to start unlocking, you would be better off SPOOLED!

Which are situations that a man with a brain isn't in with his pickup truck. He does that with something he gives not one sh*t about.

But we have to at all times remember, you have a 6 foot cock, and your pickup is so much more capable, after all, you have a DEEEE-- Troit locker (in most dipsh*t, backwoods, moron voice imaginable). I actually think the moron voice comes with the locker purchase...

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, any day of the week a truck of comparable truck with a Truetrac will blow your doors off the 99.999% of the time the truck is moving.... which is NOT with 2 tires hanging in midair and rocks dragging across the oilpan. For most everyone in respect to this thread.... 100% of the time because we're not ignorant enough to destroy our street truck like an idiot in a rock garden...

Take Care

Stop. Quit acting like you've said your peace and you're going away. It's just giving people false hope.

Charles

Reaction score
I read a lot of posts on Pirate 4x4, youtube and anywhere else I could find testimony trying to figure out how anyone could say the DL was totally normal on the street, and of the people that promote the use of the Detroit on the street, there's something I keep finding again and again.

In I would say 95% of the cases where one of them states that they "don't even notice it", they either in the same paragraph, same sentence, or in a follow up post will also say that they have to coast around turns or it will bark/chirp/squeal the tires, and that you just have to adjust your driving style a bit.

Come again? If you don't even notice it, how is it that you have to change how YOU drive YOUR truck? Coasting around turns isn't my idea of acceptable. Yet the same people that will tell you the Detroit is fine on the street, and that it's not even noticeable, will almost always also throw in the fact that you need to coast around turns, lol. Which makes it only rational to think that the ones that don't say it... just aren't saying it. It's still the case, they just aren't mentioning it.

This is what I immediately think of when I see this type of DEE-troit locker owner:

http://www.hark.com/clips/hxqjmfyhhx-yeah-i-remember-grinding-my-feet

Interviewer: So, do you notice any clunking, banging, chirping or anything with your carrier?

DEE-troit locker owner: No, I don't even notice it.

DEE-troit locker owner: I have to drive my truck based on how my carrier wants me to drive my truck, not how I want to... and if I don't I will hear popping, banging and tires chirping just trying to pull out of the grocery store unless I coast, then take off, then coast while I turn, then take off again everywhere I go.

Interviewer: Come again? Are you the same person that just made that first statement or do you have a split personality???

:doh:

Latest posts