Detroit TrueTrac rear diff traction

INFRNL

Reaction score
You see there, that's specifically the prick attitude that earned you the treatment you deserve. Just go re-read your first few posts if you need to be reminded of what a prick you are in this thread. In fact, you used the word prick, lol.

It doesn't take a God to know that an LSD is going to outrun an automatic locking differential on the road. Otherwise every autocross and road racing car on planet earth would be running a detroit locker instead. These are the facts, not the opinions in case you're paying attention.

You're one of those little yappy dogs. You talk sh*t, annoy the hell out of everyone, are of no use, and when you get asked to STFU you turn away and scurry off confused as to why everyone's "on your case". You walked into this thread like a total ass hole, holding your imaginary 6 foot long cock. While simultaneously talking out your ass about things and misleading people with your apparent ignorance. First it was something about clutches, then how the stock LSD was fine if you were going to run something silly like a Truetrac, then something about how your detroit locker was a real carrier, yada, yada, yada, some more ignorant sh*t, so on and so forth. That was the general gist of it...

So I tried my best to provide enough actual information to offset the amount of bs the thread had to take courtesy of your input.

The principles that the detroit locker operates on are why it's a pos. We have since figured out better ways of doing things. If you haven't "experienced" any of the things INHERENT to the detroit locker, then maybe you should consider the fact that you're oblivious to the world around you, because it's happening if you have a detroit locker carrier, and the vehicle is being driven. Again, these are the facts, not the opinions.

When a drunk slobbers across the bar, knocks 4 handles of liquor on the floor, spits on the bar-tender and pisses in the icebox he doesn't kindly get asked his thoughts on why he did all that, or how it made him feel. He picks his ass up in the back alley an hour later when he regains consciousness.

Your points were not based in reality, you had a prick of an attitude, and the whole time we're dealing with how superior the detroit locker is while trying to decipher your garble, cast down to us from high above...

Gee golly, I can't believe anyone would give you anything less than utmost respect, lol.

Classic....

Let me pick a carrier so that 5% of the time it outperforms another carrier when offroad, when offroad in TOTAL, accounts for .0005% of the total number of revolutions that carrier will EVER make in it's entire lifetime...

Secondly, if I want to hang tires off the ground, I have perfectly good 7018 rods sitting at home for that if a couple hundred dollars for a spool is just out of the question, or if the OEM carriers are sufficiently strong for the application.

In offroad situations where the Truetrac wants to start unlocking, you would be better off SPOOLED!

Which are situations that a man with a brain isn't in with his pickup truck. He does that with something he gives not one sh*t about.

But we have to at all times remember, you have a 6 foot cock, and your pickup is so much more capable, after all, you have a DEEEE-- Troit locker (in most dipsh*t, backwoods, moron voice imaginable). I actually think the moron voice comes with the locker purchase...

Meanwhile, back on planet earth, any day of the week a truck of comparable truck with a Truetrac will blow your doors off the 99.999% of the time the truck is moving.... which is NOT with 2 tires hanging in midair and rocks dragging across the oilpan. For most everyone in respect to this thread.... 100% of the time because we're not ignorant enough to destroy our street truck like an idiot in a rock garden...

Stop. Quit acting like you've said your peace and you're going away. It's just giving people false hope.

I guess we just do not know how to read eachother through the web.

As far as the clutch deal, I already admitted I was smoking crack and deleted the post.

As far as the prick deal, it seemed to me that the op was being a prick towards me, so I asked, didnt just assume as you have.
I also believe the op never answered my question of how he intends to use his truck. That doesnt matter though because you have explained that nothing else is needed.

Sorry if you thought/think im being some punk moron, blah blah blah. Im not and didnt intend to put off that impression.
As much as you want me to stfu, I was but others made comments as well but handled it in a much different manner than you. I tried to apologize to the op earlier, and never meant/planned to muck up his thread, but thats obviously too late.
I still do not have anything against you, we just are not agreeing on this subject and may continue to disagree in the future. Time will tell

That's a good read.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks but not needed. The op only wanted info about the truetrac

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess we just do not know how to read eachother through the web.

As far as the clutch deal, I already admitted I was smoking crack and deleted the post.

As far as the prick deal, it seemed to me that the op was being a prick towards me, so I asked, didnt just assume as you have.
I also believe the op never answered my question of how he intends to use his truck. That doesnt matter though because you have explained that nothing else is needed.

Sorry if you thought/think im being some punk moron, blah blah blah. Im not and didnt intend to put off that impression.
As much as you want me to stfu, I was but others made comments as well but handled it in a much different manner than you. I tried to apologize to the op earlier, and never meant/planned to muck up his thread, but thats obviously too late.
I still do not have anything against you, we just are not agreeing on this subject and may continue to disagree in the future. Time will tell

Thanks but not needed. The op only wanted info about the truetrac

Well since he was thanking me for the link I posted I guess you not needing thanks is ok :)

Still glad he liked the info. That site has an excellent break down on the pros and cons of each unit. Kind of cool finding out the detroit locker was originally used to handle the connection between two axles on a tandem setup.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Well since he was thanking me for the link I posted I guess you not needing thanks is ok :)

Still glad he liked the info. That site has an excellent break down on the pros and cons of each unit. Kind of cool finding out the detroit locker was originally used to handle the connection between two axles on a tandem setup.

Thanks, ill check it out. I was really trying to be funny. Should have used an emotion.

Honestly I think it would be good for people to read but it didnt seem like anyone was interested in other options, especially when there was no clarification on actual use of the truck.

Thanks again, ill give it a read

Reaction score
Please click the link: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/DifferentialsLockingDifferentials/PCT_317264

"The Eaton Detroit Truetrac® limited-slip differential is the pioneer in helical gear based traction technology. Wheel spin out is limited by the differential, which employs pinion- and side-gear separation forces to automatically transfer torque to the wheel with the best traction."

I don't see that I was wrong with any of my statement. I guess I am missing your point.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I realized I actually had some footage I could show of the Truetrac.

This is ~550rwhp when I was videoing to see how much axle movement I had, which was a lot, prompting me to fab up some axle control links. Relevance here being, notice in the second part of the video that even as I apply enough power to eventually break the tires free at ~40mph, while I'm turning there's no barking, popping, clunking or anything like that, yet when the power exceeds the traction, both tires evenly spin smoothly and controlled. Btw, footage doesn't GET any more in your face that that. You can't be any closer to a rear axle to hear chattering or popping if it were happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxkyD0z9zjY

Btw, that video right there is almost 5 years old, and the carrier was old then.

Here's the Truetrac at ~590rwhp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCSU7eeUCA

Hey Charles,
I was wondering what your setup is to get you at the 590hp level? Also, I am not sure if its just me or your setup. In the second video when you stop to turn it seems like your truck idles really rough.
If you do not want to respond here, you can pm me. Would also like to know what you ended up doing to cure your axle wrap. Maybe a pm would be better. Thanks

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Fwiw I've never had a trutrac leave me stranded anywhere that a Detroit would have done any better.

Reading the article I found it looks like a truetrac wont engage if you start out with a wheel in the air aka no traction at all. So I could see a detroit locker being more ideal for full on off roading. The article and other places Ive read said it wasnt hard to get the truetrac to engage though. All you had to do was apply the brakes and it would lock. But if the vehicles is a rock crawler or spent 90% of its life or more offroad Id think the detroit would be a better route to keep from having the apply brakes fix a bunch.

What Ive read on drag racing sites shows the truetrac works fine launching and such since its starts out with some traction and locks up fine from there.

Charles

Reaction score
Hey Charles,
I was wondering what your setup is to get you at the 590hp level?

Back then I was running between 250 and 300cc hybrids with 200% EDM nozzles, Gen 3 oil pump and a GT47/GTP38R compound setup. It pulled 591 IIRC. Ran good, made decent power.

Also, I am not sure if its just me or your setup. In the second video when you stop to turn it seems like your truck idles really rough.
If you do not want to respond here, you can pm me. Would also like to know what you ended up doing to cure your axle wrap. Maybe a pm would be better. Thanks

That was my bad. I was playing around with ways to get the throttle response crisp like a mech pump as most Heui trucks (at that time anyway) had a somewhat soft and suggestive throttle response. I ramped the ICP up and that gave the truck the balls I was looking for when you dropped it in gear, and made it super responsive, but obviously the idle was choppy. Within a day or so of that video I had figured out how to smoothly ramp the ICP up with MFD so that it could idle well but still snap up with a rap of the throttle without making it soft to drive or having the idle too harsh. I have since gotten much, much better at both in all the years since.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Reaction score
Back then I was running between 250 and 300cc hybrids with 200% EDM nozzles, Gen 3 oil pump and a GT47/GTP38R compound setup. It pulled 591 IIRC. Ran good, made decent power.

That was my bad. I was playing around with ways to get the throttle response crisp like a mech pump as most Heui trucks (at that time anyway) had a somewhat soft and suggestive throttle response. I ramped the ICP up and that gave the truck the balls I was looking for when you dropped it in gear, and made it super responsive, but obviously the idle was choppy. Within a day or so of that video I had figured out how to smoothly ramp the ICP up with MFD so that it could idle well but still snap up with a rap of the throttle without making it soft to drive or having the idle too harsh. I have since gotten much, much better at both in all the years since.
Thanks.
I take it you do your own tuning through minotaur or something? Id love to se your truck now the, in the vid it looked liked it got up and went pretty damn good.

Reaction score
Reading the article I found it looks like a truetrac wont engage if you start out with a wheel in the air aka no traction at all. So I could see a detroit locker being more ideal for full on off roading. The article and other places Ive read said it wasnt hard to get the truetrac to engage though. All you had to do was apply the brakes and it would lock. But if the vehicles is a rock crawler or spent 90% of its life or more offroad Id think the detroit would be a better route to keep from having the apply brakes fix a bunch.

What Ive read on drag racing sites shows the truetrac works fine launching and such since its starts out with some traction and locks up fine from there.

Fair enough. I would say your correct.

The trutrac works very well for everything but I would say a rock crawler. I've had mine in mud, snow you name it and it spins not sides. I have not had it on rocks with wheels in the air.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Fair enough. I would say your correct.

The trutrac works very well for everything but I would say a rock crawler. I've had mine in mud, snow you name it and it spins not sides. I have not had it on rocks with wheels in the air.

I had a different experience off road when I had my truetrac. Maybe it was because I had a locker in the rear and truetrac in the front.

I was in the mountains trying to go up a hill but had to turn and maneuver through bumps, holes, etc.(not sure the best way to word it) Basically I had to have the wheels turned and the one in the hole had enough pressure on it that the other would spin. I could not get power to both wheels in this situation. All 4 wheels were on the ground.

There were some other similar moments when the truetrac would not provide equal power, so after that weekend of wheeling I bought a locker for the front as well. I will tell you that driving with a front & rear locker is a very unique experience in the snow. It takes some getting used to.

yes he tunes... dont know if minitour is it or not though.

live life full throttle

Thanks

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
So it seems like a truetrac is the best option for a 2wd truck that is still DD. Detriot Locker is a better option for a straight drag truck?

Let him bear the palm who has won it

Reaction score
truetrac is an expensive open dif.
road race cars and nascar use detroit lockers Charles, thats the facts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7PW0ziEtk

Really, we are back in this? Have you ever owned a true trac? Before my dually would only spin two rear tires with the factory limited slip. After true trac install it will kick the truck sideways all the way to 55mph on a punch. And all the other numerous tru-tracs I have installed do the same as well. They only do not work well when one tire is off the ground. In fact one truck we did with them front and rear would hardly even turn at all when the hubs were locked. Doesn't sound like an open diff to me?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Thats what I need sled. I just want both tires to get the power when I need them. I am tired of the back pass tire burning down and the other not doing chit.

Let him bear the palm who has won it

Reaction score
I have both, a Detroit Locker and a Truetrac in my F-150. I absolutely love both of them. Having the truetrac in the front makes turning when I'm locked in 4wd quite a bit nicer than having a locker up there and when I get in the mud (main off roading my truck does), I have power to all 4 tires, all the time. I've yet to run into a situation where the front end wasn't pulling while in the mud or even a few rocks I've been on, but I haven't had a tire hanging in the air either.

As far as having the Detroit in the rear, I haven't experienced any popping or jerking while turning. I cruise @ 60mph around corners without letting off the throttle and don't get any popping out of it.

I do feel it lock and unlock when I'm trying to idle through a parking lot because the engine lopes from about 900-1100 RPM.. I have heard a light pop from it a couple times in that situation, but it's definitely not a loud pop. The engine lurching like that is more annoying to me than the locker. I stopped letting it idle while in gear now, especially in parking lots, which can be a PITA at times. My next engine better idle smooth. LOL

Definitely for a street truck, I'd run a truetrac all day long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online