Detroit Truetrac setup

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Need some advice...

I bought Matt @ CED's motor and transmission, and we're currently waiting on the heads to come back from his machinist. He's installing a few additional goodies for me, and I'm thinking the truck should be in the 780-820 range, fuel only.

The truck is a lowered 2WD RCSB. The factory LSD sucks on these trucks, we all know that. I've read a few threads regarding lockers vs truetrac setups. I'm leaning towards this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-915a550

...but I'm not sure if this is what would be best for me or not. The truck won't be my dedicated daily driver, but it will be driven often on the street. I don't know what all else I need to order with this. Do I need to order a master bearing kit with this as well? If so, from where?

In addition to the Detroit truetrac differential, the truck will either run caltracs or a custom 4-link setup. Just depends on how much real estate we're gonna have once Matt works his magic.

Anyone have advice on this subject?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I had a truetrac installed by Diesels and More here in Apache junction. As far as I know the installation went great. They got it done quick.

I went back and forth on the locker vs LSD and most everyone recommended the LSD (but a lot of guys really like the locker).

I love it. I cant even tell it is back there except for the fact that I have WAY better traction. I have yet to have any issues. No popping, grinding, or any weird noises. I have been the HECK out of the truck, towed 12,000lbs up to the mountains, off-roaded in the mountains. Nothing but great things to say.

I liked it so much I had one put in my rcsb race truck

Mdub707

Reaction score
My ride is a one wheel peel wonder (non-LSD factory rear end). I looked into this quite a bit for my ride and settled on the detroit true-trac. Unfortunately plans changed and I'm likely selling the truck, but it's what I would have went with based on recommendations from others here.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
I had a truetrac installed by Diesels and More here in Apache junction. As far as I know the installation went great. They got it done quick.

I went back and forth on the locker vs LSD and most everyone recommended the LSD (but a lot of guys really like the locker).

I love it. I cant even tell it is back there except for the fact that I have WAY better traction. I have yet to have any issues. No popping, grinding, or any weird noises. I have been the HECK out of the truck, towed 12,000lbs up to the mountains, off-roaded in the mountains. Nothing but great things to say.

I liked it so much I had one put in my rcsb race truck

That sounds great! Everything I've read has pointed me to the truetrac. It should be here tomorrow. You 4-linking the rear too, Charlie? Or doing something different on your race truck?

My ride is a one wheel peel wonder (non-LSD factory rear end). I looked into this quite a bit for my ride and settled on the detroit true-trac. Unfortunately plans changed and I'm likely selling the truck, but it's what I would have went with based on recommendations from others here.

Perfect, thanks for the extra feedback. Sucks that you're selling the truck though

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Imho you can't go wrong with the tru-track.I luv mine.works exactly as advertised.I didn't have any trouble in the rain,snow neither.my truck was an open diff.sure is way more cooler then them 1 wheel burnouts also:D

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I am not going to 4-link the truck for right now. I am trying to stay in the super street class.

We ended up taking out a bunch of leafs, lowering the back end, adding caltracs, and a truetrac. I have not yet decided which slicks to run.

I am sure we are going to struggle with traction... but there is a guy with a similar setup years ago that had a 1.49 60ft at the track... so it is possible.

Dieselmore

Reaction score
We have installed several true tracs with not one issue. Everyone loves them. As for install kit are you planing to redo the rear diff or just add the true trac? If all your doing is adding in the true trac and reusing the ring and pinion. I would get both carrier bearings and races, reuse the carrier shims and then check your pattern and backlash. Most the time they are perfect. If it's off atleast you'll have a baseline from the old shims

Super Diesel

Reaction score
We have installed several true tracs with not one issue. Everyone loves them. As for install kit are you planing to redo the rear diff or just add the true trac? If all your doing is adding in the true trac and reusing the ring and pinion. I would get both carrier bearings and races, reuse the carrier shims and then check your pattern and backlash. Most the time they are perfect. If it's off atleast you'll have a baseline from the old shims

That's the thing, I'm not sure if I'll be regearing or not quite yet. Need to get the truck back first to see how everything runs.

Rubenk

Reaction score
If you replace the ring and pinion will measuring your old shims get you close? Or will you be way off?

I did the front a few weeks ago and the factory shims got me spot on, used all new bearings and seals too.

*edit* I used factory R&P. Doubt it's the case if you go all new.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Glad you went with a TT Chris, I love mine as well. I have another one on the bench waiting to go in the front end.....I'll have power at all 4 this season and I'm pretty stoked about that.

05wh250

Reaction score
I did the front a few weeks ago and the factory shims got me spot on, used all new bearings and seals too.

*edit* I used factory R&P. Doubt it's the case if you go all new.

Alright. How bad of a job is it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just know alot of horror stories.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Alright. How bad of a job is it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just know alot of horror stories.

A good friend is a mechanic by day so he did the work and I just watched and helped when I could. Pretty easy for someone that knew what he was doing. But I still won't do one after watching him.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
If you have the right tools, it's cake. A dial indictator with magnetic base, a press, and a good in/lb and ft/lb torque wrench, and some gear marking paint if you're installing a new gear set.

05wh250

Reaction score
If you have the right tools, it's cake. A dial indictator with magnetic base, a press, and a good in/lb and ft/lb torque wrench, and some gear marking paint if you're installing a new gear set.

Well were probably going to find out. Lol

Have a tru-trac, bearing kit, and ring set on the way. Just gotta find the torque specs and lash tolerances now.

Latest posts

Members online