DIY Bellowed Up-Pipes

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You guys think there is a market for these? Maybe an exchange program

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

depends on the price? exchange or a diy kit? be very cost affective for the obs guys... depends on price for sd guys.

live life full throttle

rat49f6

Reaction score
Edited font want to upset the powers that be

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
that would be a hell of a deal for the obs guys then... i would go this route too for my SD.... i wouldn't by the knock off dorman kits but they only cost 200 and sometimes have fitment issues. so if you could guarantee fitment, then it would be a better option....

Krause

Reaction score
that would be a hell of a deal for the obs guys then... i would go this route too for my SD.... i wouldn't by the knock off dorman kits but they only cost 200 and sometimes have fitment issues. so if you could guarantee fitment, then it would be a better option....

Fitment is done actually on a 7.3 engine (of any configuration, OBS, SD, e99, have all of them), no jigs or guess work. I mean i suppose there could be slight differences from engine to engine between the exhaust manifolds and turbo, but realistically it wouldnt be more than a 32nd I cant imagine, and the bellows allow for a bit of wiggle room (literally). I wouldnt know how to guarantee fitment any more than that?

rat49f6

Reaction score
Sd down pipes are 4" compared to obs at 3 or 3.5" but id def do a local truck as a test run first

Krause

Reaction score
Downpipes could be a problem... but to be honest I done think they will be. Granted the bellows used here are slightly larger than the ones international uses, we are still only talking maybe 1/2 inch further out from where the body line of the original pipe was. I could be wrong, but I dont think downpipes will be an issue unless its ridic large, in which case you've already done other surgery to make it fit.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Not sure the DIY gasket maker would be good for that kind of heat? Ide be afraid to incinerate it. [/COLOR

A guy on FTE found some DIY gasket material that was approved for exhaust systems... I don't think it was stainless but it was listed for exhaust systems. My local Napa said they didn't have such a critter when I asked.

The plan for mine is to use the victor donuts and bolt them right back just like stock... the donuts wont slide because the bellows move easier

Not a bad idea, I already have the Chevy small block donut gaskets.

You guys think there is a market for these? Maybe an exchange program

Rosewood diesel is already doing that, FYI.

Krause

Reaction score
Yep Ive read the FTE build of these, he did a nice job of it; that said, the cloth type gasket material he used would make me nervous. Rated for exhaust to me dosnt necessarily mean rated to 1500* diesel exhaust. As for gaskets, you can cough up some money and get they gaskets actually designed for it if you wanted to do a fixed flange (like the FTE build, and like international makes them), 50 $ from riff raff.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...Product_Code=GZ-14-097&Category_Code=FOBS-OEM

superduty4x4

Reaction score
$50 for two little pieces of stamped SS material seems like so dang much money... I think I'll try and retain the donut gasket when I do my build.

Krause

Reaction score
$50 for two little pieces of stamped SS material seems like so dang much money... I think I'll try and retain the donut gasket when I do my build.

I agree completely, I would like to find a suitable alternative. Maybe cut out of a 1/8 or 1/16 brass sheet would achieve the same thing? Its much softer that steel, would allow it to compress/seal in the small imperfections of the flanges.

markfuga

Reaction score
Nice build. I'm trying to do something similar... someday... when I have time. I plan to use a flange and the IH gaskets from Riffraff where the price is somewhat justified. The material is tempered stainless steel (spring) that's as thick as about 2 sheets of paper. It's springy so it keeps the seal between the cast iron collector and the steel flange during thermal expansion. Cast and steel expand at different rates and temperatures, so although the bellows take up the expansion movement between the collector and the exhaust manifolds (large movement), the gaskets maintain the seal between the cast and steel (ultra tiny movement, but there). Same principle applies to why there is no gasket between the head and exhaust manifold; both are cast iron and expand and contract at the same rate.

Now as I said earlier, the price is somewhat justified only because of the work the gaskets do. The gaskets are mass produced, and should have a much lower cost. The same gasket for the SD up pipes is only $10 for the pair, so it is hard to explain a 5X difference, but IH sets the price.

rat49f6

Reaction score
I sent a set of stock flanges off to the water jet last night he will be making me some 1/2" steel ones rather than cast... should have them back early next week

Krause

Reaction score
Since early this year I believe... Jim was talking about it on FTE a while back.

Yea Jim was saying that in the build thread on FTE, I guess he has something going on the back-burner but hasnt officially put them on his site. Not sure why cause I was interested in them.

so...... are you guys copying one of our vendors that you got the idea from?

live life full throttle

The idea is based on the FTE build thread where a guy made these.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156464-home-made-bellowed-up-pipes.html , you can read up on it. This isn't a novel idea, its been done several times and supposedly by a vendor or two, although I dont know of anyone who wanted to pursue this one piece design using stock cast like I did. At the end of the day, we are ALL getting the idea from the vendor we bought our truck engine from.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
your right about the idea... but from a diy standpoint, you list how to do it and give part numbers for the next guy to diy... same goes for the diy fuel systems and other diy mods. when someone starts asking about interests and starts making these or doing these is when its no longer diy and taking away from our vendors.... it was already said that rosewood is already offering the exchange...

live life full throttle

Krause

Reaction score
it was already said that rosewood is already offering the exchange...

live life full throttle

Not sure he knew about this about this when he asked about it, it wasnt already said it was mentioned after. And the question was purely speculative, no one to my knowledge is planning a mass undercut of our vendors.

Part numbers, 67632: Vibrant 3.25 bellow. Available on summit for 28 bucks a side.
Stock up pipes, stock collector. Make your own flange if thats your thing, info for that can be found on pg 7 of FTE linked above. Havnt quite figured out the best option for gaskets besides the International ones for 50 bucks if you do the flange style, will update on that one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.