Don't hate me.....which turbo??

Swaan

Reaction score
Efr with the 1.05 housing I think would be an exceptional turbo.
But I haven't heard any try one yet on a 7.3.

I do know they did have issues when they first came out.
I think there fine now thou. Everybody's just gunshy to try one out

hucorey

Reaction score
Mmm. Now I'm not so sure about it. I initially was going the GTX route then seen the EFR. I'm definitely going gated if I go the EFR route as I can get them at a very good price. IIRC, the 1.05 is what I want but is not gated. I would have to step down to the next smaller housing as they come gated. I definitely don't want to go bigger than the 1.05 though.

V-Ref

Reaction score
The 1.05 was the biggest AR turbine housing available last I looked.

Swaan....can you point me to your source/reference about what was wrong on thier initial fielding and what the fix was?

Swaan

Reaction score
The 1.05 was the biggest AR turbine housing available last I looked.

Swaan....can you point me to your source/reference about what was wrong on thier initial fielding and what the fix was?

I've been just drooling over these efr turbos for a year now. I've basically googled every bit of info I could about anything and everything regarding EFR.

The long and short of it is. When bw introduced these turbos , the very first batches to hit the market had issues with the ti\gamma turbine shafts breaking. The supplier bw was using for the turbines was fired and they outsourced another supplier for there ti/gamma turbines. Borg had to put a stop on selling any more efr turbos till the issue was fixed.
I think there was some exploding turbos on some very early batches. This got people all scared.
My guy I deal with at BD diesel said they've sold lots now and haven't had any come back.

The only t4 is the 1.05 on the 9180.

I don't personally think you would need a gate till after 500 hp. Jmo.

hucorey

Reaction score
Thx, Swaan. I am well over 500hp. Pushing 600.

I think I'm back on board with the EFR. ;) I just don't like the already lack of space to have to add a stand alone wastegate. Too time consuming and ups the price too much for the unit plus labor into them.

It won't be for a month or so, but I will be building mounts for these. I actually have 5 to build. :cool:

hucorey

Reaction score
I do see the 8374 comes with a T4 wastegate with the .92 housing. But wondering if the 9180 is still a better choice and go with the T3 mount to get the wastegate. But then the .83 housing.....IDK???

m j

Reaction score
9180 is the only one big enough for a 7.3, even then the turbine side is smaller then the s467

Swaan

Reaction score
Personally I think the 8374 would be to small for a hot 7.3. It would be too easy to over speed. The 9180 is the one you want.

Swaan

Reaction score
9180 is the only one big enough for a 7.3, even then the turbine side is smaller then the s467

It's got the same size turbine as a 366 but with a bigger a/r. Should work well.
74mm exducer, 80mm inducer.

hucorey

Reaction score
Personally I think the 8374 would be to small for a hot 7.3. It would be too easy to over speed. The 9180 is the one you want.
Agreed, but dang it. Why the heck cant they put a wastegate with the 1.05 housing. I'm a bit Leary of a .84 housing with EGT's. Then by the time I factor in a nice Tail external wastegate and extra Fab work, I'm not that far from my price of a GTX4294R. Mmmm...

V-Ref

Reaction score
004.100180943_std.jpg

http://www.engineereddiesel.com/wastegates

There's no space to use one of these on my Turbonetics mount/GTX4294R/WOP plenums.....compressor cover would conflict with the drivers plenum....

Maybe enough room with the 9180?

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a GTX4088r as a single or as a high pressure in a compound setup on a 7.3? Numbers are fairly similar to a 38r except for the price tag. Reason I am asking is I'd like to do compounds on the truck I'm building, but I'd like to run it as a single first and add a second turbo later when funds allow and not have to buy 2 turbos. Lots of people using the 38r as a high pressure and obviously as a bolt on single. I just figured If I went to a t4 setup it would be easier to change things down the road if I ever needed/ wanted to change setup. I searched on here and google but I didn't find anything really other than someone using is as a hp in a 6.4. If anyone has experience with one could you also post the rest of your setup.

Sorry for the derail but there are so many turbo threads. I thought I would just ask around here since the posters here are very knowledgeable.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
DI sells them. You could ask David Lott.

I'm looking at a GT4294 off a Detroit diesel.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I think Lott used that turbo in a compound setup on a guys truck, on this site. Maybe I'm mistaken and it's a different turbo though.

Latest posts

Members online