DOT help

03international

Reaction score
I've heard so many different things and read different things and I can't seem to find out if I am legal or not. tomorrow I'm towing a 42 foot double axle trailer with 4 tires on each axel, with a extended cab short bed 6.0 on the deck. I'll be towing it with a 2005 crew cab short bed. will I be legal towing this or do I need a CDL? what will happen if I'm pulled over and I am ILLEGAL? this is not commercial. just towing a buddys truck to the track.

STROKER

Reaction score
I think your ok as long as you don't weigh over 26000lbs, i'm not positive though.

03international

Reaction score
didn't speed at all and had it all chained down with chain binders. passed one DOT cop headed to the buck but we made out fine.

78f100

Reaction score
Most states are different, as long as its personal and below 26,000 here in FL you are ok, I think... Its almost impossible to keep up with it anymore, I had to take training classes on this years ago and none of it is the same now. Just bind it down and don't give them a reason to stop you, they can always find something wrong if they want.

I just saw your last post, Glad you made it with no trouble.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'm a commercial driver an I'm fairly up on the rules. As long as the truck your using to pull the trailer with an the trailer are not a company vehicle an don't have dot #'s then your legal. You also don't need to stop at weigh stations. However, if the truck or trailer has a company name on it or a dot # then you would need a cdl technically

Ironhide69802

Reaction score
Company name or a dot number on side of the truck means a chauffeurs license in this case, you dont have air brakes. Figure 8000 for towing truck, 6000 for trl and 8000 for payload and your under your 26k allowed. Regardless of cmv or not, if dot sees you they will come check out your securement of load to trailer. If your worried about weights go to your nearest cat scale and scale it out, it's $9.50. I've hauled like this many times and never got messed with.

average

Reaction score
If whatever you're doing could ever possibly considered commercial:

Class A CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: 10,001+, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class B CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: <10,001, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class C CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): <26,000+, Towing Weight: N/A, Passenger Requirement: 16+

Sounds like you'll be okay.

HairyPalmer

Reaction score
from what I understand MY states laws to be..... as long as your paid up to the weight level on your registration, you have hydraulic breaks, and its personal use, you should be golden.

03international

Reaction score
not a sticker on any of the trucks or trailer. and we are under 26,000lbs. I'll be doing this 4 more times this year. from everyone I've talked to I'm
legal. this is the most confusing crap to try to keep up with.

Denver

Reaction score
Go on your states DMV site. In California non commercial law is a Class C license is the basic license you receive. You can tow a bumper pull trailer with a gvrw up to 10K lbs. A gooseneck or 5th wheel up to 15K lbs but you need an endorsement if the weight is 10K-15K. Any bumper pull 10,001 or more and a gooseneck or 5th wheel 15,001 up you need a non commercial class A. Another thing to keep in mind is the weight over the rear axle. F250's are I think around 6100. You wouldn't want to exceed that for insurance and accident reasons.

Last edited:

uga33

Reaction score
As long as you aren't making money you are fine. Here in GA they get real peculiar about how it's secured. Strap/chain for each corner here.

Reaction score
I've heard so many different things and read different things and I can't seem to find out if I am legal or not. tomorrow I'm towing a 42 foot double axle trailer with 4 tires on each axel, with a extended cab short bed 6.0 on the deck. I'll be towing it with a 2005 crew cab short bed. will I be legal towing this or do I need a CDL? what will happen if I'm pulled over and I am ILLEGAL? this is not commercial. just towing a buddys truck to the track.

If it's for personal use then you are good to go. If you get pulled over by a DOT 5oh then you will need documentation to prove this.

lubeowner

Reaction score
I got pulled over pulling the same setup, f250 and tandem Dually trailer. State trooper said it was what the stuff is plated for. Truck was 10,000 and trailer was 24,000, add together if they are over 26,000 then you need a cdl. He gave me a warning for no cdl and made me call a buddy with a cdl. And the trailer was empty.

Last edited:

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
I pulled a triple Dually axle trailer with my f250 a couple months ago with out getting stopped. Did get a couple strange looks from the DOT guys eating lunch across the street from where is was taking the trailer though

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I pulled a triple Dually axle trailer with my f250 a couple months ago with out getting stopped. Did get a couple strange looks from the DOT guys eating lunch across the street from where is was taking the trailer though

I want a pic of that trailer. Who made it?

Latest posts

Members online