DOT help

baddkarmaracing

Reaction score
I want a pic of that trailer. Who made it?

Not sure who built it. It was originally dual duals and they put the 3rd axle under it. It was a 3 car trailer with extension ramps on it. It was a rolling ticket for sure. We pulled the tires off the 3rd axle before we pulled it like that. Got lucky I guess. And sorry I don't have any pics of it. Very similar to this one just with a third axle under it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338082014.327782.jpg

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Thanks. That would be a heck of a trailer with 3 axles. I was looking at a 40' triple dual but it only gains me about 3500lbs of payload over my tandem dual. Not enough for the money right now.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Each state is different, I know up here in Michigan we're supposed to be alright if hauling for personal use. And anything commercial over 26k combined weight RATING requires a class a CDL.

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
One loophole is putting a "Not for Hire" Sticker on your vehicle. You see alot of Race type setup's with this.

But if you are under GVWR of 26k combined you are fine reguardless. And its not by what you actually weight, its buy what your truck and trailer are rated for. So our trucks are what 8k gvwr, if the trailer is rated at anything over 18k gwvr, then you need a CDL.

SOBw/thePSD

Reaction score
If the trailer you are towing is RATED above 10,000 lbs you are suppose to CDL no matter what the tow vehicle is. Thats the way it goes in GA anyways.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
Each state is different, I know up here in Michigan we're supposed to be alright if hauling for personal use. And anything commercial over 26k combined weight RATING requires a class a CDL.

:whs: Wish I'd seen this sooner. It's not what you weigh, it's what your GVW is. I drive commercial and used to have a one ton F-350 and bumper trailer. Truck GVW was 14,000 and trailer was 13,000. That's 27000 total, so I had to have a CDL.
As far as the personal use thing, I think you're exempt if you're within a certain mileage of home, but I'm not for sure on that.
What happens if you get caught depends on where you get caught. I know some states take you to jail (Georgia), other states give you a ticket (TN).

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
:whs: Wish I'd seen this sooner. It's not what you weigh, it's what your GVW is. I drive commercial and used to have a one ton F-350 and bumper trailer. Truck GVW was 14,000 and trailer was 13,000. That's 27000 total, so I had to have a CDL.
As far as the personal use thing, I think you're exempt if you're within a certain mileage of home, but I'm not for sure on that.
What happens if you get caught depends on where you get caught. I know some states take you to jail (Georgia), other states give you a ticket (TN).

To the part in bold, I think your thinking of farm plates? Farm plates allow you to haul pretty much whatever you want, and leave you exempt from most of the laws as long as your within so many air miles.

The GVWR of my truck and gooseneck trailer puts me at 32,200#'s. (11,200 truck, and 21,000 trailer).

Grizzdog

Reaction score
Usdot... Any trailer tagged 10,001 + pounds you need a class a. Doesnt matter if you only have 10 pounds on it.

The not for hire tags will get you pulled over ten times faster then to just have nothing. a lot of people with the big horse trailers are not very happy with this new law

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Usdot... Any trailer tagged 10,001 + pounds you need a class a. Doesnt matter if you only have 10 pounds on it.

The not for hire tags will get you pulled over ten times faster then to just have nothing. a lot of people with the big horse trailers are not very happy with this new law

Wrong, I thought that was the case for awhile as well. A DOT guy even told me that, but it's not the case. You only need a class A if the COMBINDED WEIGHT RATING exceeds 26k.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
My bosslady/ Close friend has a peterbuilt with a western hauler package (air brakes, etc) and a 40+ ft horse trailer I cant remember exact length but its 4 Horse and 16 ft living quarters and has gotten pulled over numerous times and not once got a ticket for no CDLs. Ive hauled 26+ rolls of hay with the Peterbuilt and no problems with DOT around here and I also have no CDLs, granted her husband (bossman) owns a trucking company LOL . They mainly mess with log trucks around here

ParkerFly

Reaction score
Wrong, I thought that was the case for awhile as well. A DOT guy even told me that, but it's not the case. You only need a class A if the COMBINDED WEIGHT RATING exceeds 26k.

I agree, I had countless people tell me that was the case, but I researched it and never found anything that said that. As long as the truck is under 26000 and trailer is under 10000 you don't have to have a cdl even though combined gvw could be over 26000. If you have a truck with 20,000 gvw, and trailer with 9,000 gvw you don't have to have CDL. But if the trailer is over 10,000 you do. That is where a lot of people (and DOT officers) get confused.
Here is the way the law reads straight from the Federal Motor carrier Safety website http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm:
A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Last edited:

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

Grizzdog

Reaction score
My 01 cclb 350 and my 32ft pj with duals is about 12-13k empty. The trailer is tagged for 21500 and before i had my class a i had two tickets for not having a cdl. thr last nimrod that i talked to at the dot place said if the trailer was tagged for more then 10,000 pounds it is considered a comercial vehicle. i dont know if the commercial plates is what the problem is or what but ive been hauling equipment for my company for years and had nevr had big trailers till the last few years and its been nothing but troubles.

What i dont like is that everyone interprets the laws differently. and you need a phd to understand em

01platinum

Reaction score
I am towing a 50' enclosed trailer with two 5,000lbs cars with a 2011 Ford F450. I move to the opposite lane when coming to a weight station and don't look back. Have had good luck so far but it something happens I will let them know it is a personal vehicle which it is and if they want to search the trailer I will request a sergeant to be on scene cause if a car gets scratched I am sure my boss will own that precinct.

KNOCK ON WOOD. Getting ready to go out of town.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.