DPF Questions

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

I've searched and searched, but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

A local guy I bought an intake from (appears to run a shop from his house) got me a little spooked about plugging the DPF given my driving habits (mostly short commutes, stop/start, etc). I know he was trying to sell me a tuner and delete kit, but I did some research that still left some concern. I set my Torque app up with all the DPF PIDs I could find (DPF Soot%, Distance since last Regen, Regen Active Yes/No, and Soot amount in grams per Liter).

Last night as I was pulling into my neighborhood it hit 100% and began a regen, so I kept driving until the Regen was complete. I expected the % to drop to zero, but the regen stopped at 12% full.

So, is it an accurate correlation to assume my DPF is ~12% plugged?

Consequently, I picked up a mini maxx last week (found a guy who wanted my AR setup, so score!). I wouldn't be so uptight about this thing if I didn't have a warranty and knew of a shop that would look the other way with a deleted pipe.

Reaction score
Guys,

A local guy I bought an intake from (appears to run a shop from his house) got me a little spooked about plugging the DPF given my driving habits (mostly short commutes, stop/start, etc). I know he was trying to sell me a tuner and delete kit, but I did some research that still left some concern. I set my Torque app up with all the DPF PIDs I could find (DPF Soot%, Distance since last Regen, Regen Active Yes/No, and Soot amount in grams per Liter).

Last night as I was pulling into my neighborhood it hit 100% and began a regen, so I kept driving until the Regen was complete. I expected the % to drop to zero, but the regen stopped at 12% full.

Consequently, I picked up a mini maxx last week (found a guy who wanted my AR setup, so score!). I wouldn't be so uptight about this thing if I didn't have a warranty and knew of a shop that would look the other way with a deleted pipe.

That's normal. To keep everything in the system alive, regen doesn't go until the DPF is at 0% soot mass.

RyanD

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info.

So, I'm guessing there really isn't a way (possibly that we know of) to determine how "plugged" the dpf is?

With such short commutes and very 'Camry-like' use of my truck, I may just delete to eliminate the worry.

I hooked the mini maxx up and ran it with the gauges only...all temps and numbers seemed good. I want to keep this truck a long time, so I'm a little OCD about its health. :)

bricewise

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info.

So, I'm guessing there really isn't a way (possibly that we know of) to determine how "plugged" the dpf is?

With such short commutes and very 'Camry-like' use of my truck, I may just delete to eliminate the worry.

I hooked the mini maxx up and ran it with the gauges only...all temps and numbers seemed good. I want to keep this truck a long time, so I'm a little OCD about its health. :)

Nut up and delete it Ryan!

RyanD

Reaction score
Good to know.

So, I've been looking, and I'm not seeing a lot of delete pipes that are stock sized. In the event I do delete, I'd like to keep the factory dpf-back. Does such a beast exist or am I crazy for asking? If I'm crazy, is there a turbo-back kit that doesn't draw the attention of everyone for 5 square miles?

Thanks again for the information, the forum has been awesome for helping alleviate worries.

bricewise

Reaction score
Good to know.

So, I've been looking, and I'm not seeing a lot of delete pipes that are stock sized. In the event I do delete, I'd like to keep the factory dpf-back. Does such a beast exist or am I crazy for asking? If I'm crazy, is there a turbo-back kit that doesn't draw the attention of everyone for 5 square miles?

Thanks again for the information, the forum has been awesome for helping alleviate worries.

I believe Elite has one

http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/15350001/67L-DPF-Delete-Pipe/

I also thought SPE sold one as does Flo-Pro

RyanD

Reaction score
Sweet, my internet skills are lacking. Hope you're enjoying Alaska :)

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice to pull into your neighborhood and just go HOME. Instead of having to drive it off, because the trucks diaper is dirty??? Lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Guys,

I doubt it will ever be 100% clean after it leaves the factory. how well does the torgue app work for the 6.7s. been thinking of getting it if I new how well it would work.. what all is needed for it?
Wouldn't it be nice to pull into your neighborhood and just go HOME. Instead of having to drive it off, because the trucks diaper is dirty??? Lol
lmao!! fpr sure

I just wish we had a button for regens like the big trucks.
that would help a ton.

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
I doubt it will ever be 100% clean after it leaves the factory. how well does the torgue app work for the 6.7s. been thinking of getting it if I new how well it would work.. what all is needed for it?

lmao!! fpr sure

that would help a ton.

live life full throttle

Using VCDS, I can do a force regen on my brother 2010 TDI. I don't see how the aftermarket can't tap into the pcm to do a force regen for the powerstrokes?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score

lmao!! fpr sure

that would help a ton.

live life full throttle
It actually works quite well. All that's needed is the app on your phone, the Bluetooth adapter, and then download a custom PID pack. There are a couple guys that are working on getting as many PIDs as possible. Right now, you can monitor all 4 EGT sensors, trans temp, oil temp, regen status (on/off), distance since last then, soot%, boost, and a couple more. They're working on exhaust back pressure, fuel rail pressure and EGR. Basically, anything that can be monitored by a MiniMax can be monitored, if you can figure out the correct equations.

RyanD

Reaction score

Works great if you have the PIDS. Pick up a cheap Bluetooth obd2 adapter from amazon (I paid $9 shipped for mine)... App is $5 on the google play store. It comes with an f250 profile, but some of the PIDS you have to load manually. I got most of them from a thread on another forum, but if y'all are interested, I'd be happy to post them all here.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It actually works quite well. All that's needed is the app on your phone, the Bluetooth adapter, and then download a custom PID pack. There are a couple guys that are working on getting as many PIDs as possible. Right now, you can monitor all 4 EGT sensors, trans temp, oil temp, regen status (on/off), distance since last then, soot%, boost, and a couple more. They're working on exhaust back pressure, fuel rail pressure and EGR. Basically, anything that can be monitored by a MiniMax can be monitored, if you can figure out the correct equations.
That's ***in bad ass

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Works great if you have the PIDS. Pick up a cheap Bluetooth obd2 adapter from amazon (I paid $9 shipped for mine)... App is $5 on the google play store. It comes with an f250 profile, but some of the PIDS you have to load manually. I got most of them from a thread on another forum, but if y'all are interested, I'd be happy to post them all here.

Very cool. I think you should actually start a new thread regarding this topic. I'm interested in seeing your work/findings...

Latest posts

Members online