DPF Questions

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Good to know.

So, I've been looking, and I'm not seeing a lot of delete pipes that are stock sized. In the event I do delete, I'd like to keep the factory dpf-back. Does such a beast exist or am I crazy for asking? If I'm crazy, is there a turbo-back kit that doesn't draw the attention of everyone for 5 square miles?

Thanks again for the information, the forum has been awesome for helping alleviate worries.

there are 4" delete pipes with stock 3.5" ends, pm me if you need one.

RyanD

Reaction score
Very cool. I think you should actually start a new thread regarding this topic. I'm interested in seeing your work/findings...

I will put something together with my setup this weekend for sure. To be clear, my only work is in harvesting the information..I haven't taken a dive into trying to develop PIDs...yet :)

Thanks!!

RyanD

Reaction score
So, as I drove to work this morning, it was dangerously close to regen, but I was able to park before it started. Since I had a decent drive ahead of me to pick my daughter up, I was glad I'd probably cycle a complete regen during the afternoon commute. A couple of things popped to mind:

The formula for Soot % needs to be tweaked. It registered 101.8% before beginning to drop. It didn't bother me much, though.

My distance since last regen (the full one I discussed in my first post) was only 30 miles. That seems really low for me, but I do a lot of short trips and idle time, so maybe this is normal?

Unfortunately I was not able to complete the regen completely, as I had to kill the truck to pick my daughter up. When I got back in and started it up, it was at 26% and the regen indicator (0 off 1 on) was set to 0.

Anyhow, this is a neat little cheap tool (and it can clear codes).

PDT1081

Reaction score
So, as I drove to work this morning, it was dangerously close to regen, but I was able to park before it started. Since I had a decent drive ahead of me to pick my daughter up, I was glad I'd probably cycle a complete regen during the afternoon commute. A couple of things popped to mind:

The formula for Soot % needs to be tweaked. It registered 101.8% before beginning to drop. It didn't bother me much, though.

My distance since last regen (the full one I discussed in my first post) was only 30 miles. That seems really low for me, but I do a lot of short trips and idle time, so maybe this is normal?

Unfortunately I was not able to complete the regen completely, as I had to kill the truck to pick my daughter up. When I got back in and started it up, it was at 26% and the regen indicator (0 off 1 on) was set to 0.

Anyhow, this is a neat little cheap tool (and it can clear codes).

Soot% is based off when a regen will start. If it was actually 100%, there would be no exhaust flow through it.

Distance Since Last Regen is only updated when you start the truck. Short trips will make that value change more often, but it will stay a lower number. FWIW, I'm driving 40 miles highway to work and the highest value I've seen is 130 miles.

As for not completing the regen. Once the soot% has dropped below a preset value, and you slow down/stop, the regen will cancel itself. I had one start the other day, got down to around 40% before I was stopped by a train. Regen shut itself off.

RyanD

Reaction score
Soot% is based off when a regen will start. If it was actually 100%, there would be no exhaust flow through it.

Distance Since Last Regen is only updated when you start the truck. Short trips will make that value change more often, but it will stay a lower number. FWIW, I'm driving 40 miles highway to work and the highest value I've seen is 130 miles.

As for not completing the regen. Once the soot% has dropped below a preset value, and you slow down/stop, the regen will cancel itself. I had one start the other day, got down to around 40% before I was stopped by a train. Regen shut itself off.

Great info, thank you.

Makes much more sense now about soot % being a threshold and not an absolute value. Like I said, it didn't bug me, I was just throwing it out there.

I'd also noticed the dslr value updated only when the truck is started. The actual distance in my case was probably 3-5 miles more.

To be honest, the more I learn about this thing, the more I want it gone. I've got 49k miles left on my warranty though!

Thanks a bunch, guys, this has been very educational. I'll be pulling my info together this weekend for a post.

Latest posts

Members online