Dual Fuel Pump Wiring

juniort444e

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to wire these two sd pumps to two relays. Need to get this stuff done today. Anyone have any diagrams or a little write up on it. Thanks

TARM

Reaction score
Two positves off the battery or key on hot circuit. Each to its own 30 amp relay. Pig tail or jump the factory pump wires to both relays as control. Ground from pump to frame each. This way you still get the factory timer for pump power other wise the pump would be on the entire time the key is on regardless if the motor is running or not.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
you have 4 terminals on the relay your using? you should, its a basic relay.

i dont remember the specific numbers of the terminals, but.....

1. hot from battery
2. ground
3. stock hot wire goin to the fuel pump, removed from pump and put on relay. this is the wire that will trip the relay
4. this one goes to the fuel pump.

you would split the #3 wire i stated to trip both relays. and each relay gets its own wires, each pump gets it own wires, dont piggy back anything, dont split anything, except the hot to trip wire. unless you specifically got a water proof relay, the one you have is not water proof, or water resistant. tuck it up somewhere where it will not get wet. most ppl go up by the master cylinder on the fire wall.

Last edited:

juniort444e

Reaction score
Looks good tree trimmer, but im at this and trying to figure out your numbers and what posts they go on. 30,85,86 and 87. So far i have the hot wire coming from the battery and going to the 30 post. Thats all i can figure out. Wiring is NOT my strong area.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i dont remember how the order went. i used relays for my guages, call this number. its my local automotive electrical shop. they answered that question last time i asked it.

b&r auto and truck electric
815-625-5749

have the relay brand and number ready, also the numbers of the terminals, when you call. they are good over there. i hate chasing electrical, and there good at it.

TARM

Reaction score
Post 87: postive (+) hot lead (10 gauge stranded wire) from battery positive terminal. (I recommend splicing in a 30 amp inline fuse line. This will protect the relay and pump)

Post 30: positive (+) hot lead (10 gauge stranded wire) to pumps positive terminal.

Post 86: postive (+) hot lead (red) control wire. (Red positive wire originally going to the oem pump positive terminal post from the factory wiring harness)

Post 85: negative (-) ground lead control wire. (Black negative ground wire originally going to the OEM pumps negative (-) terminal post from the factory wiring harness.) You could also instead run a wire to the frame as the ground.

At the pump:. Connect a 10 gauge black wire to the negative post on the pump and then th a clean bare metal mount location on the vehicle frame.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Two stock super duty pumps. They are different for some reason tho. The one came of my spare chassis and it looks better than the stock on that came off my truck. But they both work so itll do until i get a fuellab or something else.

Thanks tarm and tree trimmer. I can understand that. Me a stupid head wif wiring sometimes. Thanks for the help again.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Now why didnt you wire the second one into the first one?

juniort444e

Reaction score
I was always told, and read that if a person has two pumps to run two seperate relays and fuses because if one decides to sh!t the bed i still have one to limp my a$$ home.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
to wire both of them together, you need to upgrade the size of the wire you use, as it will draw more juice. its perfectly reasonable to do that.

the reason you dont, is as juinor said. if you have a relay go bad, or some other reason that juice stops flowing through those wires, your truck is dead alongside the road. if you wire them seperate, you might have low fuel pressure, but can baby it home.

imo, two stockers is better than the fuelab, for that exact reason. it doesnt strand you right where you are, like tarms almost did to him.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok now ive been looking at this fer my 6.0 i have the pumps. Just need some insight on wtf to do.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
im not a 6leaker guy. if you can do it this way, its simple. it'll look something like this.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76505

with the wiring we described last page.

keep in mind that pic is for a 7.3 that did intank mods and bowl delete. thats what the two filters are there. if you dont have that, or what ever the 6.0 has, and you just want two pumps, adjust the pic accordingly.

sorry, i dont know enough about a 6.0 to be of more help.

TARM

Reaction score
Glad its working out well for you. Once you do it once its no big deal. Should be plenty thru 200% injectors. Once above that you wil need to re evaluate.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Are those silver things the pumps? Cause thats way diff than my lift pump

Latest posts

Members online