E99 7.3 Running like chit

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Well I definitely fixed the issue. I disconnected all of the plenum boots and realigned everything. Also disconnected the injection harness and blew it out with air duster. Just took it out for a test run and it's chitin and getting it now.

Hopefully yall can help me with this. I have a T500 HPOP. While feeling around I noticed a thin nut was damn near hanging off a built in bolt.

9ac4987d8987c3360b67afe753f67ca8.jpg

It has this on the bolt.

43b5ea4cc7395d0fd550687055ad8123.jpg

I disassembled that stuff and put it back on tightening it up. Could that be the cause if my valley oil leak? There were only a couple of ounces of oil there, but still enough to make me nervous.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

psduser1

Reaction score
Well I definitely fixed the issue. I disconnected all of the plenum boots and realigned everything. Also disconnected the injection harness and blew it out with air duster. Just took it out for a test run and it's chitin and getting it now.

Hopefully yall can help me with this. I have a T500 HPOP. While feeling around I noticed a thin nut was damn near hanging off a built in bolt.

9ac4987d8987c3360b67afe753f67ca8.jpg

It has this on the bolt.

43b5ea4cc7395d0fd550687055ad8123.jpg

I disassembled that stuff and put it back on tightening it up. Could that be the cause if my valley oil leak? There were only a couple of ounces of oil there, but still enough to make me nervous.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

Thats the ipr. Not the source of your oil leak. Put the coil back on, snug the nut back down, and let it be.
If you've got a leak, go buy 3-4 cans of brakekleen, and a roll of rags. Spend a couple hrs getting everything sparkly clean. That's the only way you'll start nailing down oil leaks.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Yes sir. I started started cleaning it, but knew I'd have to devote an afternoon to cleaning it.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
IPR was loose. The intercooler turbo elbow was kind of loose also. The harness didn't look to terribly bad.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Have fun changing that HPOP. I just did it. Not the greatest amount of joy I've ever had working on my truck.

Jomax

Reaction score
HPOP, 30 minutes max. Easy Peasy.

Why would he have to change an HPOP?

30min? That's not messing around lol. Don't see how. Unless you change these every day.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
If that's what the oil leak is...

Looks like if it is from the HPOP, it is hose connector orings.

30min? That's not messing around lol. Don't see how. Unless you change these every day.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

A little faster with no fuel bowl in the way, and strictly diesel gear cover.

Replacing an hpop gave you that much trouble?

I'm not in a fully supplied shop.

My driveway is not a fully supplied shop. Air for the gear does make it easier though.

psduser1

Reaction score
Looks like if it is from the HPOP, it is hose connector orings.

A little faster with no fuel bowl in the way, and strictly diesel gear cover.

My driveway is not a fully supplied shop. Air for the gear does make it easier though.

Rr, a good gear bolt cover, yeah 30 minutes.

If it's the fitting o rings, they're pretty cheap, about a 10 minute job, especially if you spend the money for the little tool. 20 minutes if you make the tool, lol.
Before you change the o rings, check the crimp fitting on the hose, I've seen them weep, also. No fix for that, except to replace the hose.
Looking at the pic again though, I don't think the orings are leaking.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Tool made life so easy. Loved having it. Air tools would have made it so easy on the gear bolt. Carson said he fits a 3/8 drive impact gun in there for it. That would have been awesome if I had one and air.

Arisley

Reaction score
Without air, one breaker bar on the crank, bar against the ground, use a cheater if needed.

One breaker bar on the gear nut. Smack it with a dead blow. Done.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The only timed I've replaced a 7.3 hpop, I used a long 1/2" drive ratchet with a deep socket, and just smacked the ratchet hard counter clockwise, didn't even have to hold the crank, and the bolt loosened up. I think I just hit it with a 1/2" impact on re installation and called it good. I wouldn't recommend re installation with an impact though. Can you imagine breaking that bolt off if the gear wasn't seated right?

mandkole

Reaction score
I couldn't recall being able to get an impact in there with the shroud and fan... hold the crank still and put 100 lb/ft on it. It will stay tight once the washer under the gear bolt has a load on it.

Latest posts

Members online