EBP Sensor

Jake P

Reaction score
Exhaust back pressure sensor. What all does it do? Does it affect the fueling, timing running of the engine, etc.? Or is it just another thing to throw a CEL?

Also, i think mine is bad. This is key on, engine OFF.

DSC02690.jpg

dietoremain

Reaction score
I've also been curious jake, I want to take mine apart and clean the tube n such soon, Trey did an awesome write up on how to do it.

Jake P

Reaction score
I've cleaned mine before, and the tube was actually quite clean. I just wanna know if my sensor being bad is gonna affect anything or if i should just ignore it.

Jake P

Reaction score
One thing that makes me wonder though, one time a while back ago, i unhooked the EBPS mistakenly thinking it was the ICP sensor to diagnose an issue. Give me a break, this was before i knew much about these engines LOL. This was pre chip, all i had was the intake and straight pipe. After i unplugged it and drove it, at WOT the turbo would chirp when it shifted, whereas it wouldn't with it plugged it. I had no guages at the time either so i cant tell you what boost i was running, but obviously it was higher. That or i am full of chit.

Jake P

Reaction score
Shift pressures are pretty important... Why would back pressure effect that though?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Shift pressures are pretty important... Why would back pressure effect that though?

I believe its a secondary sensor to use if something else is unplugged or fails, like the ICP sensor. If the computer loses all its ways to measuring what the engine is doing then shifting becomes very eratic.

You can buy delete sensors for them so it wont throw a code though if you want to get rid of it and the tube

907DAVE

Reaction score

Instead of using boost to adjust shift pressures, the PCM uses back pressure. If for some reason the BP sensor takes a dump the PCM will refer to boost pressure.....or you can have your tuner disable the BP sensor via programming so the PCM will use boost pressure only.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Finally some more info on what it does, that is interesting, I mean i'd assume the BP higher would not be good, so it'd shift sooner..

Jake P

Reaction score
No i mean why don't they just make it take readings from boost pressure to begin with, rather than only if something malfunctions?

Latest posts

Members online