Elite 71 needs a rebuild

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Because Precision draws the line at one year. We can send it to them and have it rebuild for cost, that is what we offer anyone over the 1 year warranty.

The most likely cause is the thrust bearing is toast, which causes everything to move and leak oil out the back.

One thing to cover before someone else tears it down, pull the compressor cover and make sure the comp wheel has not contacted the compressor housing. If the wheel has hit, you cannot buy the wheel and it will have to be sent to Precision, so no sense paying two shops.

Also the $600 was a worst case high estimate, but its just a guess until the unit is looked over.

For anyone with a 71/72 the thrust bearing, even the new 360 thrust, is the weak link. If you let the charger bark alot, the thrust will fail faster. Teach yourself not to let the turbo bark and you will get a longer life.

This is where the bb units hold up better correct?

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Kind of bums me out to hear about the lack of warranty.. I paid good money for my 72 and more good money installing it. Hope it lasts.. Nothing about these hot rods are cheap to build or work on...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it fellas. Not a lot of reported failures have been seen, as far as I know. Lots of happy customers out there.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The failure rate has been less than 5%. Just pay attention to my advise, this is another reason why you won't see a mass produced 80mm drop-in.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
So the turbo had a one year warranty, Its older than one year. So that means no warranty. Did I miss something or is it not actual a year old? I have what I believe is one of the first 71mm from Elite still going good at about 15k mostly towing. Hopefully it last a lot longer.

dozer

Reaction score
Because Precision draws the line at one year. We can send it to them and have it rebuild for cost, that is what we offer anyone over the 1 year warranty.

This is not the impression I received over the phone. So just to be clear what is the warranty???? If it's over a year, then it's a $600 worse case scenario estimate over the phone. What is the warranty for under a year????

My credit card was billed 7/23/2012 "under a year", and the turbo wasn't installed until mid august. My year is coming up in a hurry. And because of the info I given over the phone I had a local shop tear into it.... Everything looks great with the turbo, there was no contact between and housing and compressor wheel, and the center cartridge is perfect.

I'm sure you not going to warranty my turbo since I had a shop open it up, I really wish Elite would have told me there was a 1 year warranty of any kind. I hung up the phone with the understanding I was **** outta luck.

I understand that you can say the turbo will be warrantied until Elite looks at it. I understand why Elite didn't tell me IT WILL BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY over the phone. Elite never told me that IF my turbo fits in the criteria for a warranty it will be covered. I was told that it uses an OEM rebuild kit, and told me that's the one to order. I said ok and started looking for a place to rebuild it. I'm not the type of person to yell and get heated over the phone, but I definitely feel I was misled.

Thank you... and that's sarcastic!

jeff

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Hopefully I hear something good from this but I doubt it. Sorry to see this Jeff especially under a year.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
There had to have been a miscommunication over the warranty time. If you are under the year then send it in, precision has only denied one that was within warranty time and that was due to trash through the turbo.

dozer

Reaction score
No thanks. I lost enough sleep over this. I'd rather pay out my own pocket then to deal with your company. I certainly would not send you my turbo, just to send to precision. I can already see the potential nightmare, considering I couldnt even get a straight answer regarding the warranty to begin with. I can appreciate you trying to help, but a little late. If I never posted thread on this forum, you would have dodged this warranty claim because of a lack customer service . You say only 5% of these turbos fail... I would think that for the unfortunate 5% of us you would try your hardest to help us out. warranty or not.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
No thanks. I lost enough sleep over this. I'd rather pay out my own pocket then to deal with your company. I certainly would not send you my turbo, just to send to precision. I can already see the potential nightmare, considering I couldnt even get a straight answer regarding the warranty to begin with. I can appreciate you trying to help, but a little late. If I never posted thread on this forum, you would have dodged this warranty claim because of a lack customer service . You say only 5% of these turbos fail... I would think that for the unfortunate 5% of us you would try your hardest to help us out. warranty or not.

Oh my

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Dude, you asked and Tadd explained that it was a miscommunication. That happens ALL THE TIME, and not just with elite. It's a part of life, as unfortunate as it is. Point of this thread was to get help, he just offered and your rebuttal is to rip him a new asshole over a honest mistake that wasnt even his own? Pretty ****ty in my book and its pretty clear your intent wasn't to get help to begin with. And just so we are clear, you think a diesel performance shop should instantly shell out cash every time somebody calls in with a "out of warranty" claim? Do you know how fast the till would run dry over ignorance alone??

From the sounds of things, you don't appreciate jack sh!t. If it was me, I'd be telling you something different than "let me help you".

Good luck

MINK

Reaction score

I think Tadd really would get it taken care of

BUT

I see where you're coming from 100% - hope everything works out and you get the truck back together!

MINK

Reaction score
Dude, you asked and Tadd explained that it was a miscommunication. That happens ALL THE TIME, and not just with elite. It's a part of life, as unfortunate as it is. Point of this thread was to get help, he just offered and your rebuttal is to rip him a new asshole over a honest mistake that wasnt even his own? Pretty ****ty in my book and its pretty clear your intent wasn't to get help to begin with. And just so we are clear, you think a diesel performance shop should instantly shell out cash every time somebody calls in with a "out of warranty" claim? Do you know how fast the till would run dry over ignorance alone??

From the sounds of things, you don't appreciate jack sh!t. If it was me, I'd be telling you something different than "let me help you".

Good luck

Do my heads have warrenty??? LOL

jk papa

Latest posts

Members online