Elite 71 needs a rebuild

blk350on20s

Reaction score
I know Jeff personally and that is so far from the truth Steve. He's one of the nicest guys you could meet. I told him to call in and get this thing sent to precision. He was told it was out of warranty and a possible $600 could be the outcome. I told him to start this because its BS that a turbo under a year and 6k on it is blowing oil. Ive been around enough to know the only way to get to Tadd is through forums. It worked. He got his answer of ya will help....now. he had already purchased from a vendor a rebuild for it and now doesn't have to wait for downtime and shipping. As for miscommunication yes it happens but more time than not it has to do with EDE.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Thats cool, im just not sure why he is complaining then if all he wanted was help from Tadd? He just got it and he just told Tadd to go *** himself in not so many words. It's a ****ty deal but being ****ty about it only makes it worse, IMO.

Good advice for all in this industry.... When in doubt, always talk to the owner. Counter guys or people on the phones may not be able to do what you need them too.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's complaining but more proving a point. ****ty that bringing an issue to the forums gets you different results than actually calling the business. But yes I do agree. It needs to be people like Wayne or Tadd handling issues such as these. I know Wayne is gone but people like that.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
No thanks. I lost enough sleep over this. I'd rather pay out my own pocket then to deal with your company. I certainly would not send you my turbo, just to send to precision. I can already see the potential nightmare, considering I couldnt even get a straight answer regarding the warranty to begin with. I can appreciate you trying to help, but a little late. If I never posted thread on this forum, you would have dodged this warranty claim because of a lack customer service . You say only 5% of these turbos fail... I would think that for the unfortunate 5% of us you would try your hardest to help us out. warranty or not.

I have the turbos sent here for multiple reasons, 1) you just don't send turbos to precision especially when its an "elite only" product, 2) I have built many turbos and I can usually tell the failure cause before even sending it to precision and wasting there time.

As far as the warranty mistake, unfortunately it happens, last time I checked nobody at Elite walks on water. Elite did not dodge anything, if I wanted to dodge it ,I never would have posted in the thread.

If something didn't seem right, all you had to do was call back after talking with Ryan and say "hey I thought this had a 1 year warranty" and my guy would have re-checked into things. So instead of calling, you came on the forums, no problem, as Ryan is right, I don't do calls and usually handle customer service here. You said it was less than a year and I said send it in. I don't see where we tried to screw you, even after admitting we made a mistake.

The last turbo that came in had a turbine damage and it cost the customer $600 to get fixed, not my fault, nor precision. That's where the $600 came from.

We did offer to have it repaired at cost (my guy not understanding that it was under the warranty timeline), we did not quote you $600 after looking at it, you were quoted that over the phone based on your info. How many quotes are accurate without seeing the actual item?

I am sorry that you were let down.

Tadd

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I just spoke with Levi and he said he was told the turbo was "just over a year old".

Totally different than "just under a year".

See how wording can cause a huge miscommunication.

And Ryan, I don't agree, the result would have been the same if he had called back and questioned why the turbo with less than a year wasn't covered? The phone call would have gone the same and the miscommunication would have been cleared.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Thanks for that reply Tadd. What I was looking for

Not what was told to me but what I figured had happened from previous dealings was that his order was looked up and was told he was out of warranty. Then figured Jeff went through his own receipts and looked it up. That's where I guessed misinformation was gathered.

Last edited:

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
You are close. Levi said he never looked up the invoice, he said the turbos had a 1 year warranty. Jeff said he was out and so the conversation followed the out of warranty path.

From there I don't know but I figure that Jeff then checked his payment receipt and realized it was within a year. A simple phone call back to Levi saying, "Hey I am within a year" and this would have gone differently.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
You are close. Levi said he never looked up the invoice, he said the turbos had a 1 year warranty. Jeff said he was out and so the conversation followed the out of warranty path.

From there I don't know but I figure that Jeff then checked his payment receipt and realized it was within a year. A simple phone call back to Levi saying, "Hey I am within a year" and this would have gone differently.

wow, he blew it !!

dozer

Reaction score
Look everyone, I started this thread looking for a rebuild kit. After two conversations over the phone I was given the impression that no warranty existed. I was ok with that and immediately started looking for parts and local shops to do the work. I spent my time and money in parts and labor, only to find out on a forum that a warranty existed. I was not looking for a warranty. I wasn't trying to bash anyone or any product, this thread evolved in this mess.

My truck started smoking wednesday, I called elite thursday morning and left a message. I called back friday, and spoke with Levi. I never heard the word "warranty" come out of his mouth. I did ask if it will be covered under a warranty, he basically said to send it in. I agree that on our initial conversation I didn't know my exact purchase date, but we both agreed to look into it.

At this point, myself as a customer would have liked to hear a game plan. "Jeff, yes there is a one year warranty on your turbo, ONLY if it meets all the criteria, so double your check purchase date, pull turbo, send it in and we will go from there. We will certainly do your best to help you out." That's all i would have needed to hear on friday, to feel good about sending it in first thing monday. I also asked if uses a stock rebuild kit, and he said he would check into it. My plan was to send it in, because there might be a chance its covered.

I called back first thing monday and spoke with levi, again. I wanted to see if i needed put anything in the box with the turbo before I shipped it out. Not once did he ask me when me when my purchase date was. He never gave me impression that a warranty existed, and said that I can send it in and it WILL be $600 to rebuild it. At this point I asked if there was a warranty and he said no. And he told me it uses a stock rebuild kit since its a 71, so thats the one to order. So I decided to see what it takes to rebuild it locally.

I hung up the phone on monday, a bit bummed, but you pay to play and I moved on.... So started researching how to get my turbo fixed myself.... I started this thread looking for help, bought a rebuild kit and installation parts, and paid a shop to open up the turbo to see if i needed order more parts. That should have been the end of this thread!!!

Then I find out a warranty does exist 4 days later, and I was told today by Fast 6.0 to send it in after I decided to have it fixed locally and pay out my own pocket. I wasn't looking for warranty help I was looking for a rebuild kit. All this warranty talk started on this thread. So I'm frustrated is all, I just want my truck fixed. I don't need to hear that people are trying to help me and i'm blasting them for it! So yes i'm the asshole that is expecting every performance diesel shop shell out cash.... all I wanted from elite was a feeling that they were going to try to help me out from the beginning which I did not get. I guess we can chalk that off as miscommunication... it happens.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.