F350 DRW Owners to Anyone that Tows A lot

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I understand that.
My point is that you can get the same GVWR and towing with 3.73's.
My understanding when I got mine was the only difference was front axle and gearing with the Tow Boss. GVWR or Towing doesn't change. 14000# GVWR and 23500# towing or something like that.

Profuzz

Reaction score
So you don't get the wide track axle in that configuration ? That (axle) sure makes backing up the 5er a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E55rocket

Reaction score
I understand that.
My point is that you can get the same GVWR and towing with 3.73's.
My understanding when I got mine was the only difference was front axle and gearing with the Tow Boss. GVWR or Towing doesn't change. 14000# GVWR and 23500# towing or something like that.

The high capacity tow option comes with the wide track front axle with higher weight rated springs, 4.30 rear axle, and increases the GVWR from 31,200 up to 35,000lbs. When I bought my 2016 platinum I drove a f350 without the tow package and it reminded me of how bad my dodge turned. Then i test drove this truck and was blown away how well it turned. Sad thing is the dealership salesman had no idea why it turned better until I googled it wondering why.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
What's your GVWR.
My dually has the highest rate springs they offered. Like I said the difference is the gears and the front axle. Once you add the camper and such to get to 14000 then you are maxed.
Go on Fords site and build one. Once you get to the 14000 you can't get a 350 as an option anymore.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Alright back to the regular program.
The stoppers do make the ride a little sitter but not close to the 450.
What I will most likely do is if not towing the fiver I will take the upper ones off, easy to do.
I will need to see wit the trailer but I am sure it will hold the weight better.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Alright back to the regular program.
The stoppers do make the ride a little sitter but not close to the 450.
What I will most likely do is if not towing the fiver I will take the upper ones off, easy to do.
I will need to see wit the trailer but I am sure it will hold the weight better.

Did some research for ya....

Your 2008 F450 springs were stiffer

2008 F-450
Combined Rating @ Ground (lbs) - 9500
Number of Leaves - 4
Thickness of Pad (in) - 4.54
Overall length (in) - 66.3
Width (in) - 3.00
Deflection Rate (lbs per in/spring) - 542/1107/1506
Rating Each @ pad (lbs per spring) - 4323

pg 75
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2008/vs_pdf/f250-450_08bb.pdf

2016 F350 AND F450
Combined Rating @ Ground (lbs) - 9000
Number of Leaves - 5
Thickness of Pad (in) - 4.58
Overall length (in) - 66.3
Width (in) - 3.00
Deflection Rate (lbs per in/spring) - 448/930/1800
Rating Each @ pad (lbs per spring) - 4289

pg 91
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2016/16_SD_Pickups_SB_Updates.pdf

It appears that all the springs have the same dimension and you probably swap in '08 F450 springs into the '16 F350.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
That's interesting.
I thought Ford went back to the new 450's being a different truck, just not the whole badge and gear swap. Maybe not.

I knew they were a little stiffer just by the ride but I would have thought much more spring rate than the numbers are showing. So basically they just went to one more leaf and lowered the spring rate of each spring. I bet to get a better ride. Thanks Though!!! That is cool. Going to save them.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I worked on Drilling Rigs till Jan, now in Well Abandonments.
Weather doesn't hit me too much.
But yea if I am in a down pour they are staying on and the wrench will be in the box and not in the middle of the street.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I need to go back and read all the way thru. Im forgetting why you care that its not sitting in the overloads.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Pin weight of the trailer.
The truck needed to drop 4" to even touch the top ones.
You don't have much suspension travel when that occurs along with bouncing front to back effect.
The other I couldn't find a goo PSI for the bags to run. I have tried from 25-30 on up to about 60. But even with 30 I am not even on the top overload.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Kinda how Im feeling about it. I can understand something like that driving a guy nuts but id probsbly just ignore it. Especially with bags.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If the bump stops work then I will most likely have another spring made for the upper overload that has more spring rate and more arch in it so it will be just below the upper stops all the time.
The 08 was fine with the trailer, without and the thing was a covered wagon. The springs were not that much higher on spring rate so a lot of it could have been the 19.5's.

I have OCD on certain things and especially vehicle stuff.

Latest posts

Members online