Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

Atsah

Reaction score
exactly!

sooo, 8° this morning when i fired up the truck and ticked like a bastard.. fired it up tonight after work not a single tick... it was 29°....... wtf over?

live life full throttle

My 6.2 gasser did the exact same thing, IDK what or if they have anything in common but the issue was the same with my 2012 6.2.. It was loud as hell, sounded like the lifters on an old POS going south, it took 8K miles to start doing it, ridiculous..

CATDiezel

Reaction score
exactly!

sooo, 8° this morning when i fired up the truck and ticked like a bastard.. fired it up tonight after work not a single tick... it was 29°....... wtf over?

live life full throttle

I know this is alot of back peddling but the tick is related to thermal growth of certain parts. Ambient temps and heat loads of the engine all play a significant roll to the noise. Your 7.3L ticks also... you just can here it over the injectors!! Lol

Duramax engines tick. Lifters tick. Cummins DONT.. why???.... solid lifters....

The tick is NOTHING to be worried about.

You may also be hearing more of a tick because of the change in design of the rocker Arms verse other engines... independent rockers.. no bridges.

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
My Duramax has no tick whatsoever.. If it did it would be plain as day it's so quiet..

Atsah

Reaction score
Just google duramax engine tick. More info there than on a psd website.

I wasn't looking for Duramax information on a PSD site, I simply stated my truck doesn't tick and actually I ran a bunch of them all different years and none of them ticked.. 6.7 PSD tick, lets get back to that..

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I wasn't looking for Duramax information on a PSD site, I simply stated my truck doesn't tick and actually I ran a bunch of them all different years and none of them ticked.. 6.7 PSD tick, lets get back to that..

As I was....

6.7L tick is nothing to be worried about.

What i quoted for you to google was to get YOU back on 6.7L or away from this thread one...

Your post had nothing to add to the delima of the tick... other than "mine dont tick"-- good for you. Bye

Atsah

Reaction score
As I was....

6.7L tick is nothing to be worried about.

What i quoted for you to google was to get YOU back on 6.7L or away from this thread one...

Your post had nothing to add to the delima of the tick... other than "mine dont tick"-- good for you. Bye

Your an arrogant douche.. Proven time and time again..

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
This thread was going fine until you showed up. Proven time and time again....

Instead of making such a childish stab at me why don't you re-read the post you got your rocks off on against me and let's start over.

I made reference and a possible scientific mechanical assumption of why they tick. All throughout this whole THREAD. you... what have you contributed? Name it. Tell it... post it...

Arrogant. Sure. Sometimes... not gonna lie. Guilty

It's been ALMOST 100% proven that ambient temperatures and thermal growth of certain engine parts cause the tick... even in regards to cylinder temperatures at the time also.

Regarding the 6.7L ONE interesting thing to contribute to the tick would be independent lifters per valve.

The LBZ. Ticked as well... there both engines whether duramax or powerstroke. It a tick that even GM issued a tsb for..... with much the same hidden mysterious nobody really knows ... TICK...

Some TDI experienced a tick as well. And two fold 1. They had issues with cam wear... and two they wanted a certain oil with the correct additive to alleviate two issues. The tick and the early cam wear.

With all that said.. Atsah.. my appologies... there's a lot lost in TXT formatt. Interpret it how you will.

Last edited:

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Mine has yet to return, second oil change since turbo failure. Only 1500 miles on last oil change but that was just to be sure there wasn't anything in the oil which there wasn't. Just the background if some of you are just chiming in, no tick till 19k turbo failed at 21k no tick since. Same oil and filter every time and all oil reports are good. Not saying turbo has anything to do with it, just never heard of the tick coming and going? Seems once it's there, it's there from then on?

Keith

CATDiezel

Reaction score
well, I figured I would update this. Back to top.

I have NO idea why or how, but my tick disappeared with the last oil change. Its generally a ticking monster after a fresh oil change. Only thing I did different was install a new steel oil pan with fumoto valve!

Using the exact same oil form the excact same 300 gallon bulk container I have. Same funnel and same 1 gallon measuring container from walmart (sectioned off in quarts, found in the tupperware isle)

Generally my tick disappears with age on the oil. I went 7500miles on this round of oil-- sending oil sample off today to see where it actually was. Typical Blackstone Lab results with a TBN included.

Ill update again when the sample results get back.

I found it rather interesting, its as quiet as can be.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Does anyone notice this tick coming from under the truck right by the trans / TQ? But nothing when the hood is open?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Does anyone notice this tick coming from under the truck right by the trans / TQ? But nothing when the hood is open?

Im starting to think the tick is common rail pressure were hearing, and guessing its the volume control valve(or whichever valve is on the rear of the drivers side rail). Im just not certain of this. I actually wish my tick would come back. I found my stethascope and want to locate it. Also have a noise inducer to find off nosies, its part of a winrock engine analyzer tool group.

Me personally I always thought it was coming from the drivers side of the engine.

I cannot say I never noticed with the hood open or closed. But next time Im next to one that is ticking I will certainly check were your saying.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Im starting to think the tick is common rail pressure were hearing, and guessing its the volume control valve(or whichever valve is on the rear of the drivers side rail). Im just not certain of this. I actually wish my tick would come back. I found my stethascope and want to locate it. Also have a noise inducer to find off nosies, its part of a winrock engine analyzer tool group.

Me personally I always thought it was coming from the drivers side of the engine.

I cannot say I never noticed with the hood open or closed. But next time Im next to one that is ticking I will certainly check were your saying.

I had it but it has gone away. When it was at its loudest I would pop the hood and could not hear a thing. But under the truck it was loud.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I had it but it has gone away. When it was at its loudest I would pop the hood and could not hear a thing. But under the truck it was loud.

My biggest issue is I have not changed one single thing in my normal routine of maintenance.

It was a given with my truck that the tick would be very loud after an oil change. Same exact oil since the truck was new on 3/01/11 from the exact same tote of oil. Changed every 5-8k miles. Depending on how i felt.

my tick would always taper off after about 2,000miles of driving on new oil. then be pretty well gone till the next change.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
My biggest issue is I have not changed one single thing in my normal routine of maintenance.

It was a given with my truck that the tick would be very loud after an oil change. Same exact oil since the truck was new on 3/01/11 from the exact same tote of oil. Changed every 5-8k miles. Depending on how i felt.

my tick would always taper off after about 2,000miles of driving on new oil. then be pretty well gone till the next change.

My truck never did it until this last change.

Latest posts

Members online