Famous 6.7 tick after oil change

sagebel

Reaction score
Question, why do you guys run such light oil? I run 15w-40 CI plus in my truck year round with no problems. Just curious.

Because the owner's manual says so.:shrug: I don't remember what the truck comes from the factory but 5-40 Synthetic covers the widest temperature band. 15-40 only for warm climates.

Idiesel

Reaction score
I've had the tick on mine since the first oil change. I have a work c/c f450 that did it but not quite as much after we put some miles on it. Thought maybe it was just broke in harder than my personal truck. But I got a tune the other day on my work truck to keep boost down to help the turbo stay alive and it opens the vanes at idle more vs before and idk if it unloads or loads the motor more, bc it ticks like crazy now

Reaction score
I have ran a multitude of oils and additives...none have cured the tick lol
I curently am running 0w-40 mobil 1 euro spec with archoils oil additive....tick still present lol
Next I may try 5w-50 some of the mustang guys claim its curing there tick in the coyote motors

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Question, why do you guys run such light oil? I run 15w-40 CI plus in my truck year round with no problems. Just curious.

15w40 is pretty out dated if you ask me. Technically it's thicker than 80w-90 when cold because of engine oil having a different scale rating on the weight. Cat and many others are moving to a 10w-30 year round. Its and emissions and machining thing both. better mileage they claim and better tolerances. Me personally I would rather have the protection sooner on a cold start than a slightly thicker oil for full load.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Is this "tick" loud or "very noticeable"? Just changed my oil for the first time, using our standard Full Syn 5w30 and I don't hear anything different.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
We've used the same oil on all of the customer trucks we've done and never heard the tick or had anyone comment or complain.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
We've used the same oil on all of the customer trucks we've done and never heard the tick or had anyone comment or complain.

I know you are old enough to remember (or maybe to old to remember) :D what a typewriter sounds like... its exactly like that.. or a exgaust manifold after a hot run and you shut off the motor and it ticks on cool down.

live life full throttle....
load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car..

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The old fashioned long arm paper slapping typewriter, or the new fangled spinny ball kind? LMAO!!!

BTW..."too old"...really???

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The old fashioned long arm paper slapping typewriter, or the new fangled spinny ball kind? LMAO!!!

BTW..."too old"...really???

wow, your older then I thought... ive only heard about the long arm paper slappers from my grandparents.. lmao!! :D:D... its supper noticeable, theres no way you couldnt hear it( unless the oldness comes into play), on such a quiet motor...:D

I prolly autta stop with the old stuff... Dennis will prolly bend me over his knee when and if I ever get to meet him.. he prolly is old enough to be my dad at least.

So..... has anyone said what it is yet? LOL
Nobody knows... since 2011, both the powerstroke and maxipads have done it..

live life full throttle....
load it like a box car, drive it like a stock car..

Reaction score
The tick is believed to be linked to the additive ford adds at the factory, the 5.0 mustangs are having thr same tick... Ford won't comment much on the carbon additive, but multiple people have claimed the dealer added something in there oil that cleared the tick almost instantly, and most dealers won't say anything other than its a additive. ..I believe the mustang forums claim its xl-17...

Lugger007

Reaction score
I must be wicked lucky, but I bought my truck at 43k and changed oil 3 times with motorcraft 15-w40 and no issues at all. Will switch to winter weight motorcraft or Mobil one synthetic soon

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The tick is believed to be linked to the additive ford adds at the factory, the 5.0 mustangs are having thr same tick... Ford won't comment much on the carbon additive, but multiple people have claimed the dealer added something in there oil that cleared the tick almost instantly, and most dealers won't say anything other than its a additive. ..I believe the mustang forums claim its xl-17...

That seems extremely far fetched considering some guys experience the tap and others don't, as well as some loosing it on and off over oil change intervals and others not. The TSB Ford released on the issue does a pretty good job of describing the problem, IMO. I linked it in the beginning of this thread if you're curious and want to take a look

Reaction score
The additive is a break in additive... some trucks are breaking in perfectly and some are not... it might be the additive, but the 5.0 guys are digging deep into ford about the issue and that's what there coming up with

Latest posts

Members online