Finially decided on my build

jdgleason

Reaction score
Agreed. The only thing I think you would benefit from is a better spray pattern, but without the fuel to support them it's kinda a waste.

I don't have any personal experience with the spray patterns but I do know that stuff doesn't seem to be wildly different from stock, at least from the pistons that I've seen in various motors.

Obviously for guys after big power nozzles are a must, but from my experience it seems like the fuel system itself is more of a limiting factor than the nozzle itself. I kinda want to try dual pumps on stock nozzles.

one2nine

Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with the spray patterns but I do know that stuff doesn't seem to be wildly different from stock, at least from the pistons that I've seen in various motors.

Obviously for guys after big power nozzles are a must, but from my experience it seems like the fuel system itself is more of a limiting factor than the nozzle itself. I kinda want to try dual pumps on stock nozzles.

That would be interesting to see. What would you do then up the pw quite a bit?

jdgleason

Reaction score
That would be interesting to see. What would you do then up the pw quite a bit?

I think that there may be as much power in volume of fuel and pressure as pw... I don't know this but I'm curious. The more tunes we tried with mine, the less power it made with less rail pressure and it got smokier as we lost rail pressure too.

Obviously the gain of dual pumps on stock nozzles won't be huge, but I'm more curious to see than anything. For me, I really don't have any interest in adding much more fuel until I can afford bigger chargers to go along with them. Dual pumps and stock nozzles seemed like it may make for a fun truck and may give me a touch more power and maybe even less smoke than it had before.

As far as more pw goes, I don't have a complete grasp on what dictates pw limits and why duramaxes can run twice the pw we do. I hope to learn more about that pretty soon though :D

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yup Eric is running his extreme x with a slightly lower pw. Thousands of Cummins and duramax guys run big nozzles with lower pw and make great power. Not sure why we'd be any different.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I thought it was backwards....especially the Dmax guys run PW up to about 3.2? They get a way with that because there nozzles are smaller, but their heads flow better and the bowl is a larger diameter because their bore is larger (with a smaller stroke).

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
I thought it was backwards....especially the Dmax guys run PW up to about 3.2? They get a way with that because there nozzles are smaller, but their heads flow better?

Some of the duramax guys run pw out to 4.250... But it has more to do with bore and stroke than anything I think.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Some of the duramax guys run pw out to 4.250... But it has more to do with bore and stroke than anything I think.

4.25...holy chit!!!

JD,

Do you have any numbers or even better, graphs from the testing you did running bigger nozzles with an otherwise stock fuel system?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Lots of factors piston dwell bowl size Ect.

No one has tried a ton of pw but I can tell you some tuning is already out of the bowl with our minimal pw

B585Ford

Reaction score
Lots of factors piston dwell bowl size Ect.

No one has tried a ton of pw but I can tell you some tuning is already out of the bowl with our minimal pw

Is that why you are a big fan of big nozzles, dual fuelers, with a reduced PW on the 6.4s....with too long of a PW, you are spraying outside the bowl?

jdgleason

Reaction score
I thought it was backwards....especially the Dmax guys run PW up to about 3.2? They get a way with that because there nozzles are smaller, but their heads flow better?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah I have seen plenty of pistons with patterns out of the bowl with stock and aftermarket nozzles with basically a race tune and not a ton of timing.

Opening the bowls of the pistons helps too. I need to sneak a camera in my reg cab to see how they look right now.

jdgleason

Reaction score
4.25...holy chit!!!

JD,

Do you have any numbers or even better, graphs from the testing you did running bigger nozzles with an otherwise stock fuel system?

Yes sir I do. I haven't put it all together to start a thread yet but I'll get it all put together.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
IM also no tuning expert and know there is more to do with it then just that. Pre and post injection effects it as well. IM defiantly still learning but I've seen enough to not have much desire to run more than 2.2 pw

Super08Duty

Reaction score
As far as the stall goes, I wouldn't change it. Stock stall is around 1600-1650 if I remember correctly. That's high enough for a 66 or 72 easy. Go above 75mm and you'll be on the line of needing to bump the stall up. But that's just my opinion. I too have seen stock nozzles make some pretty ugly spray patterns from running high pw tunes on just stock fuel.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
As far as the stall goes, I wouldn't change it. Stock stall is around 1600-1650 if I remember correctly. That's high enough for a 66 or 72 easy. Go above 75mm and you'll be on the line of needing to bump the stall up. But that's just my opinion. I too have seen stock nozzles make some pretty ugly spray patterns from running high pw tunes on just stock fuel.

You realize stock stall is like 2000 right? Our converters are 300-400 rpm below stock, that's why they are so radically different...

Frank_C

Reaction score
I can definitely brake stall my truck up to ~2000 rpm on the stock converter.

I'm actually having my trans done right now, and was wondering the same question because I'm planning on going single in the future.

78f100

Reaction score
I did nozzles (elite60hp) stock hpfp airdog and II 71mm atmo, had same exact track times as before with just tuner. That was running KEM345, so I tried Innovative xrace with almost the same times, but rail pressure was only holding 21k. So I think nozzles are not much help on stock pumps also. Elite's 60hp nozzles =15% over, so I think you will have to run a really low pw tune to keep rp up with 30% nozzles. Maybe my pump was just really weak but it always held rp to the stock nozzles fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.