Fire Ring headgaskets

diehardstroker

Reaction score
I would like to know when one shoud start thinking about fire ring'd gaskets, the pros, and cons compared to other gaskets (o-ring or OE), and are they safe to daily drive with?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd say you won't likely have any issues under 600 with studs. Plenty of guys above that level with just studs and stock gaskets as well.

sootie

Reaction score
What are your goals with the truck? getting a 7.3 into the 600's is a fair bit of work

diehardstroker

Reaction score
What are your goals with the truck? getting a 7.3 into the 600's is a fair bit of work

Here is the build list
650's is the goal.
300/200's
s366/s475 compounds
twin terminator hpops
full fuel system (regulated return, 2 stock fuel pumps, fuel bowl delete, all the goodies)
BTS trans
girdle
carillo or billet rods
swamps pushrods and valve springs
possibly Colts stage 2 or 3 cam

it already has the fuel system, intake and exhaust, tuned, slight turbo mods. just a basic tuned truck at the moment, nothin special.
its a daily driver that will see the track, most likely wont see any weight pulls.

mattman347

Reaction score
With the compounds I would do the fire ring gaskets for sure. That power/cylinder pressure comes on quick compared to a single.

diehardstroker

Reaction score
My real concern is whether the Fire Ring gaskets will be daily driveable, the truck is driven every single day. if theres a better gasket id love to know. im not new to the 7.3, just newer to the bigger power game. this is the best forum ive been on for talking bigger builds, hope you guys can give me some insight.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'd say 90% of the trucks our install shop has Fire Ringed are DD's and no issues. Cummins, duramax's, and PSD's alike.

JDub

Reaction score
Fire Rings are the absolute best option and if machined and torqued correctly will last for a long time regardless of how the truck is driven

golfer

Reaction score
yep, there's really no other option if you are wanting that power after removing the heads.

diehardstroker

Reaction score
alright thanks guys. another question, since ill be in there doing new rods, would it be a good idea to do the main bearings? and is the stock crankshaft okay to handle 650+?
and should i do anything with aftermarket pistons, and will the stock heads be fine?

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
If you're spendin that kind of money you should just do a complete rebuild, get the piston bowls delipped, gets the skirts coated ans then have the rotating assembly balanced, then top it off with an ati or fluid damper. Also I think your atmosphere us too small.

Reaction score
If it were me and I was doing all you have listed, then I would do I complete rebuild. Get it balanced ect.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Stock head gaskets are just fine at 800-850 RWHP fuel only or with a healthy dose of nitrous. Just pay close attention to the machine work on head and deck surfaces,
and of course tuning.

97stoker350

Reaction score
if i were doing it id have the block grooved. just because theres a little bit more of a chance of cracking the heads than the block. won't have to regroove the heads if that happens then

diehardstroker

Reaction score
thats probably a good idea now that you mention just doing a rebuild. now with the engine out would it be a good idea to have the block and head grooved or does it have to be one or the other for the fire rings?
what size atmosphere turbo would work better? go up to an s480 you think?

hucorey

Reaction score
Dentexpowerstroke's truck hit over 90psi boost on standard ARP studs, oem headgaskets. For a 7.3 it takes a very serious amount of HP to need fire rings.

V-Ref

Reaction score
re%20Ring%20Installation%20Instructions-page-001-L.jpg

re%20Ring%20Installation%20Instructions-page-002-L.jpg

Latest posts

Members online