fuel pump!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Whatever pump you go with, make damn sure to use a sump.

I disagree, giving this advice to everyone without consideration of their situation is not a good idea. There are a TON of A1000, Fuelab, SX and other pumps out there that are running just fine with a large pickup tube...and there are very valid reasons for not doing a sump in some trucks. I cover this in more detail starting on page 5 of this document:

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-FuelPumpSelection.pdf

Just because every diesel shop on the planet seems to now have their own brand of fuel tank sump doesn't mean that they are the "end all" solution to every fuel tank and fuel pump issue. I've seen a lot of people doing sumps to try to fix ADII problems, only to figure out that the real problem had NOTHING to do with the method of getting the fuel out of the tank and EVERYTHING to do with the pump itself. I've taken calls from people wanting to do sumps with stock fuel pumps just because they look cool and are in so many different ads in the diesel magazines...what a waste of time and money!

Don't get me wrong, they have their place in the market, but they are NOT the cure-all that some people make them out to be and they do come with their own set of risks.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I disagree, giving this advice to everyone without consideration of their situation is not a good idea. There are a TON of A1000, Fuelab, SX and other pumps out there that are running just fine with a large pickup tube...and there are very valid reasons for not doing a sump in some trucks. I cover this in more detail starting on page 5 of this document:

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-FuelPumpSelection.pdf

Just because every diesel shop on the planet seems to now have their own brand of fuel tank sump doesn't mean that they are the "end all" solution to every fuel tank and fuel pump issue. I've seen a lot of people doing sumps to try to fix ADII problems, only to figure out that the real problem had NOTHING to do with the method of getting the fuel out of the tank and EVERYTHING to do with the pump itself. I've taken calls from people wanting to do sumps with stock fuel pumps just because they look cool and are in so many different ads in the diesel magazines...what a waste of time and money!

Don't get me wrong, they have their place in the market, but they are NOT the cure-all that some people make them out to be and they do come with their own set of risks.

At what point in a build does a sump become necessary for progression ?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Technically...never. We have been building high HP trucks for years without sumps. For some builds a sump will make sense, for others it won't. The determining factor won't be the HP level of the build, it will be how the truck is getting used and the personal preference of the owner.

Fat fingered on my iPad...not responsible for typos!

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Technically...never. We have been building high HP trucks for years without sumps. For some builds a sump will make sense, for others it won't. The determining factor won't be the HP level of the build, it will be how the truck is getting used and the personal preference of the owner.

Can you give a couple quick examples of what situation would and wouldn't make sense with a sump?

smokedout250

Reaction score
I'm planning on running a sump. I like the design it's simple and easy to get to. I'm looking to run an A1000 gonna go sump 5/8s line to the water separator front there 5/8 to the pump and pump to the final filter 5/8s and 1/2 the a rr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Term3

Reaction score
A number of guys have put in a 6.4 fuel pump to supply their 6.0 fuel pump with very good results. I like that idea because everything stays Ford and easy to get replacements.

Extended Power

Reaction score

And you are entitled to your own opinion.
I am speaking from my experience with my truck and my setup.
Installed a marine grade Aeromotive 11110 pump, and regulator, and had nothing but troubles with anything under a third of a tank. (Plastic tank) using a 3/4" pickup tube and check valve.
Sold the setup to Josh at RCD, he had it on the shelf for a year or two, and I bought it back from him after going through 3 FASS 150/180's.
Installed the Aeromotive setup again with a sump...been running for a few years now, no issues at all.
And my setups have varied from stock injectors and turbo, to 285/150 with twin turbos, along with many combinations in between. No problem from the pump, filters, reg, or sump at all.

With the pump I installed, it moves a lot of fuel, all the time, and when you get down to a 1/4 tank, you have less fuel to keep the pump cool. (Since my setup is a return system)
On hot days, the tank itself was warm to the touch, so I added a big fuel cooler in the return line to the tank...just to increase the reliability factor a little bit. Does every system need a fuel cooler? Maybe, maybe not, but I like to error on the overkill side, then the failure side....but, that is the way I do things....to each his own.
I also added insulating heat wrap to both lines coming from the back of the engine to keep the heat from the engine out of the fuel lines...on top of that I added fire sleeves right at the back connections, as they are right beside the up pipes. It's all personal choice. I try to be as safe as possible.

I'm sure you have a fantastic product, and great customer service. I am in no way trying to discredit you, your product or your company, I'm just sharing my experience with what I have tried.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online