Fuel Water Separator

MCarter788

Reaction score
We'll I just picked up a '15 Platinum 6.7 and it is my first diesel so I want to do everything exactly right on it. I was reading through forums and hearing a lot of people talk about where they are getting their diesel and to watch out for places that have a higher probability of water in the diesel. I had decided to get my diesel from a Chevron with Techron station because someone said on a TDI forum that they have a standard of at least 46 cetane in East TX which includes Dallas where I live. The standard limit for diesel in the state of TX is 40 cetane so that is all you can expect from most stations. Well I also read that you wanted to go to stations with a higher turnover rate of diesel purchases and fuel replacement because it decreases the possibility of the diesel sitting too long and collecting water. I remembered the station I got my diesel from was not on the interstate and I thought that it possibly didn't have a very high diesel turnover rate so I decided to check my fuel water separator collection valve under the truck. Here is what came out.
ata7u8ub.jpg

u6a3esuq.jpg

I let it sit for a while and I didn't see any separation between fuel and water so I think I am good to go. Is there any stations any of you guys have been to that has had diesel with water in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCarter788

Reaction score
I definitely put this in the wrong area. Can someone please move it to 6.7 Tech?

Spatel23

Reaction score
Moved to the appropriate section.

What you drained looks like fuel only

Stick to the high volume truck stops imo. Use a ford additive if the cetane is a big deal to you. I honestly dont think it makes a difference in these trucks.

MCarter788

Reaction score

Stick to the high volume truck stops imo. Use a ford additive if the cetane is a big deal to you. I honestly dont think it makes a difference in these trucks.

Ok, thanx

dsmracing1

Reaction score

I 100% agree on the ford cetane booster working. I work in the Canadian Oilfield and we probably get low cetane diesel most
Of the time. I get a little more knock in my 6.7 than I really thought I should. Started running the ford Cetane Booster and no more Unnecessary knocking,purrs like a kitten and just seems to run better!

Dougstdig

Reaction score

I don't agree. I use Diesel Service "Grey" bottle in the warmer months and White bottle in colder months. Not including the fact that it increases the cetane level 6 numbers... it's a great source of lubricity. I can definitely tell as my motor runs quieter and smoother.

When I had my TDI I read up on Cetane quite a bit. European fuel is much cleaner or at least back in early 2000's it was and there #'s were substantially higher than here in the states. Cetane to diesel is similar to what super unleaded is to gasoline. If I remember correctly, the "Grey" bottle increases up to 6#'s...

MCarter788

Reaction score
I use the grey bottle of Diesel Kleen by Power Services here in TX. I haven't noticed a big boost in mpg, but then again I only have about 3k miles on the truck. Maybe it still needs to be broken in. Is that still a thing with these diesel motors? Or is it something that people just say?

k7lvo

Reaction score

Are the diesel tanks for smaller vehicles and big rigs common at truck stops? The ones around here have the pumps quite a ways away from each other, and look like they might be separate, in which case the diesel for small rigs might not be that high volume?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.