Gel up?

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
It was 9 yesterday and I started to gel up, so I did 911 and pulled lower filter off and did all that jazz. Now I'm good but am a little worried cause I had a anti-gel in and did everything right I thought.

Later this week it's going to get -10 or so, what's the best anti-gel you guys know of? Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i use howes in the 6.7 and power service in my 7.3s and haven't had an issue yet. the company i work for is out of Ashland Wisconsin and swears by arctic power by E-ZOIL and they get casses of it shipped in.. it is super concentrated and a 1pint/16oz bottle treats 200gal unless it is below 0°.. does a good job so far. couple of the other contractors out here in buffalo had gelling issues yesterday morning and we didnt have any what zo ever.. so it works so far..
32ca384a4b1b737c46ecbdd805b64f2f.jpg

live life full throttle

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I use Power Service myself since I like the all in one Anti-Gel and Cetane Booster. I found that Howe's works great as well but I think having the chitty Cetane diesel on the oilfield work sites that I go to really doesn't help the truck. I have found a happy medium for how much to use since I find that if you use to much power service, you will get small puffs of blue (unburnt diesel) coming out of the tailpipe. She's runs so much better I find on the power service than Howe's due to not having a Cetane booster in the Howe's. We swear by Howe's in all of the equipment at work though!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I use Power Service myself since I like the all in one Anti-Gel and Cetane Booster. I found that Howe's works great as well but I think having the chitty Cetane diesel on the oilfield work sites that I go to really doesn't help the truck. I have found a happy medium for how much to use since I find that if you use to much power service, you will get small puffs of blue (unburnt diesel) coming out of the tailpipe. She's runs so much better I find on the power service than Howe's due to not having a Cetane booster in the Howe's. We swear by Howe's in all of the equipment at work though!
i dont know what howes you are using but the stuff i use is the anti gel with fuel conditioner all in one.. i always used power service and my 6.7 gets a lil better bump in fuel mileage with howes over power service or i would stick with power service just because its made in the usa. e-zoil is too but haven't tried it in my vehicles yet.. but i am sure i will..
http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php
live life full throttle

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
i dont know what howes you are using but the stuff i use is the anti gel with fuel conditioner all in one.. i always used power service and my 6.7 gets a lil better bump in fuel mileage with howes over power service or i would stick with power service just because its made in the usa. e-zoil is too but haven't tried it in my vehicles yet.. but i am sure i will..
http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php
live life full throttle

Yes, that is the one. Been running this in our equipment for the past 9 years. There might be a cetane booster but it doesn't state that in their website and our supplier can't confirm that it does have it either. If you look under there frequently asked questions, you can see that it states there isn't a cetane booster in it....

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes, that is the one. Been running this in our equipment for the past 9 years. There might be a cetane booster but it doesn't state that in their website and our supplier can't confirm that it does have it either. If you look under there frequently asked questions, you can see that it states there isn't a cetane booster in it....
10-4.. must be a good additive to replace the cetane then. or my trucks are just wierd. the 7.3s gain a hair better mpg with PS but not with howes.. opposite for the 6.7.. lol.. prolly gonna try the e-zoil that these guys get just to see how it works.. i treat for 50 gallon no matter if i add a quarter tank of fuel or 3/4 tank.. i never let it get below a quarter tank either.. even though our tanks aren't that big, its easier to measure that way. lol..

live life full throttle

WHY NOT

Reaction score
My truck gelled up on me last year running power service. I switched to Stanadyne fuel treatment. It was 10* where I was yesterday and snowing with the wind blowing pretty good and I had zero issues with the truck. I buy mine from Jared@rivercitydiesel on here and even with shipping its still cheaper than what I can find it local

taterthedog

Reaction score
I don't have a 6.7, but in my 6.4 I use Rev-x winter. I find the truck runs better in the cold with it. Don't hear of stuff gelling up here too much though. I've heard of it happening to a few Cummins, but most people that I know don't run anything. We must have good winter fuel I guess. Fwiw, it was almost -50C today with the wind so it's good and cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score
50/50 and a shot of Howes. Just started the 6.4, been sitting for 2 days, hasn't been above -6 yet, started right up

Reaction score
Its 0F here in central Illinois and will be -15F here tonight with wind chill of -25 to -30F. so far, no problems at all with fuel gel. I actually run the Ford anti-gel additive and works great. May be another possible option for you. Ive ran power service in the past too and had good luck with them as well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have about half the 250g white bottle of PS in and still gelled today.... I can't figuer this out.
whats the temps? how much is 250g? like i mentioned earlier. i treat for 5p gallon no mater if it takes 10 or 40 to fill.. thats with PS too.. -27 in Minnesota with the 7.3 never an issue... it all matters on fuel quality too. that factors in a lot.

live life full throttle

morepower02

Reaction score
In MN our diesel is blended pretty good in the winter. Heck at some stations you can even put in straight #1 diesel. MPG goes down but running 50/50 or straight #1
When it's colder then -5 or so has worked for me. Also wind chill has no effect on your fuel. It will never be colder than the ambient air temp.

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
It will never be colder than the ambient air temp.

Thank you all the wind will do is cool it down quicker!!!

I have never had an issue with gelling up till this yr, but the state also switched from B5 in everything to up words of B20 and I think that has caused alot of my issues.

Not sure if this is a good idea put its what a long time truck driver told me todo a few yrs back and seems to work really well(as in never had one gell up since).

When I fill my tank up(30-40gal) I put 1 gallon of Gas in seems todo the trick. I have had my truck gel with both white and red bottle PS before.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
whats the temps? how much is 250g? like i mentioned earlier. i treat for 5p gallon no mater if it takes 10 or 40 to fill.. thats with PS too.. -27 in Minnesota with the 7.3 never an issue... it all matters on fuel quality too. that factors in a lot.

live life full throttle
thats supposed to say 50 gallon not 5p. lol
In MN our diesel is blended pretty good in the winter. Heck at some stations you can even put in straight #1 diesel. MPG goes down but running 50/50 or straight #1
When it's colder then -5 or so has worked for me. Also wind chill has no effect on your fuel. It will never be colder than the ambient air temp.
yeah, up tyere it has to be.. and yes, the windchill doesnt mean jack chit unless we are talking about flesh..

Thank you all the wind will do is cool it down quicker!!!

I have never had an issue with gelling up till this yr, but the state also switched from B5 in everything to up words of B20 and I think that has caused alot of my issues.

Not sure if this is a good idea put its what a long time truck driver told me todo a few yrs back and seems to work really well(as in never had one gell up since).

When I fill my tank up(30-40gal) I put 1 gallon of Gas in seems todo the trick. I have had my truck gel with both white and red bottle PS before.

a quart of kerosene works well for those without emissions equipped vehicles.. bio blends can have some chitty fuel right from the get go..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.