Gimmick?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Saw this on FB, interested to see what the professionals say about it. I know there is a kit similar to this for TDI Jetta's.

Would be awesome for someone running a highly stroked pump to meet class requirements, assuming it works...

05PSD

Reaction score
It seems this would help protect the tank, fuel lines from the tank to the lift pump and pump, but do nothing for the fuel rails and injectors. That would be less to buy if you had a pump failure.

05PSD

Reaction score
If there was a way to isolate the low pressure fuel chamber of the pump from the high pressure chamber so the high side only received fresh filtered fuel, the injectors would be protected. I don't even know if that is possible.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
After reading through the description a few times I think I understand how it works. The cp4 gets fuel in two inlets with this kit. One goes to the pressure side and straight from there to the injectors, the other inlet is to the "crankcase" of the cp4 for lubrication, and from there it goes right back to the tank. So if the "crankcase" of the cp4 has a failure or metal loss it goes to the tank only instead of going from there to the compression side (pressure side) and then on to the injectors. Seems like a nice fail safe if that is in fact how it works!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 114

05PSD

Reaction score
After reading through the description a few times I think I understand how it works. The cp4 gets fuel in two inlets with this kit. One goes to the pressure side and straight from there to the injectors, the other inlet is to the "crankcase" of the cp4 for lubrication, and from there it goes right back to the tank. So if the "crankcase" of the cp4 has a failure or metal loss it goes to the tank only instead of going from there to the compression side (pressure side) and then on to the injectors. Seems like a nice fail safe if that is in fact how it works!

Now it would be nice if there was some type of filter on the outgoing port from the crankcase so **** doesn't fill the tank and fuel lines up to the fuel filter.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to add a filter of your own to this. Although a proper fuel filter will catch anything that comes from the tank. I would much rather have to clean the tank and pre-filter lines than replace my whole fuel system.

I have an 09 Duramax that has this exact issue right now. Fuel pump grenaded and wiped out entire fuel system. Looking at 11k for the dealer to fix. Guess I will be getting a crash course in Dmax repair in the near future.

uga33

Reaction score
I'm glad this was posted here. Posted this on the 6.7 Facebook page hoping for a technical answer of why it won't or will work.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It depends on which side of the pump is failing so basically you have a 50/50 chance. However. If it starts to come apart and it goes un-noticed it will eventually lead to a piston (fuel piston) failure and go ahead and take out the high pressure fuel side....

In theory it sounds great. Logically makes since but what's going to stop it from mass destruction and finishing off the rest of the fuel system?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I gotcha now it only protects 1/2 of the parts of the pump and either can come apart. So really if a guy could just get some sort of high pressure fuel filter and run it between the pump and the rails would be best. I doubt something like that even exists.

05PSD

Reaction score
It seems the weak part of the pump that fails is the roller in the low pressure side. If there was a filter on the low pressure return, the metal shavings would be passed back into the tank, then drawn into the primary filter. If there was a filter on the outlet, that debris would be caught before returning to the tank.

I guess if there was a problem in the high pressure side, your injectors would be toast. Gimmick? Probably but I don't know enough.

Latest posts

Members online