Gooseneck: Hitch and trailer questions

JrStroker

Reaction score
So I have a 08 F250. Its got a 3 inch lift and 35s. Most im gonna be pulling is around a 6k load. (Massey Ferguson 135 +attachments)

Im curious if I'll actually be able to hitch a gooseneck up. I'm sure I can, but still. Also how high is to high on a gooseneck?
I'm looking for a hitch to buy too, read over and over b&w is the way to go. But don't you have to lower your exhaust to mount it?
I've also been looking at something like this.
http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/Curt/C-52.html?feed=npn&gclid=CK2vh77-8LgCFVNo7AoddnIAvA
Is this safe to use? Or even a good hitch?

Also I'm gonna have to buy a trailer. There are so many kinds of goosenecks out there. Is there any kind that would be an advantage to my load?
I like the design of the low decks that look like a car hauler, or should I get a 'regular' gooseneck trailer.

Basically I have NO idea about any of this and I need to learn. I'm reading all the threads in this area now.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Most necks are adjustable. You'll like a low gooseneck, but you'll hate yourself for buying it the first time something doesn't fit through the fenders.

And my wife tows a gooseneck horse trailer with her truck. 4" lift and 35's.

JrStroker

Reaction score
Most necks are adjustable. You'll like a low gooseneck, but you'll hate yourself for buying it the first time something doesn't fit through the fenders.

And my wife tows a gooseneck horse trailer with her truck. 4" lift and 35's.

That was my biggest concern with the low gooseneck.

78f100

Reaction score
You will have much more room with a gneck that has a deck over the wheels. I pull mine with a 6 inch lift on my 08 and a 4inch lift on my 95. I just have the neck adjusted out a little longer. I wouldn't buy a gooseneck without a adjustable neck. As far as hitches go b&w is the best I have seen so far, I love mine. My 95 has a draw tight with removable ball but you have to cut a pretty big square hole in the bed, it works well though. B&w only the ball and safety loops are exposed in the floor of the bed, and the ball is much easier to remove.
If your gonna pull it a lot go ahead and put the trailer connector in the bed instead of having the wire hanging down connected to the one on the bumper.

Last edited:

78f100

Reaction score
Yes but it's minor it lowers the tip a little but with a little adjusting you dont have to drop the pipe much at all. Mine came with a little drop down bracket but it broke after several months. My 08 has a stack now.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Personally I'd buy a new hitch. Especially a gooseneck. No telling what idiot has pulled way over weight with it. And you know all the hardware is correct as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Go a tad longer on the length of trailer you need cause there will be times you will run out of trailer space.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I'm only gonna haul a massy 135 and the longest attachment will be a bush hog. So I'd say 16-17 feet maybe. So I was looking at a 25' deck with maybe a dove tail.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Can never have to much trailer

uploadfromtaptalk1376793574738.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

WoodBoy

Reaction score
B&W is the only way to go. The only problems I have had with B&W and exhaust was stock exhaust (that has this massive bend for no reason) I had to use the drop bracket but 4 and 5" systems were always plenty of clear of the hitch brackets.

Reaction score
Bringing this one back up.

I'm looking at buying another truck. I've never towed with a lifted truck, but the one I'm going to look at this weekend is a 2000 with a 6" lift and 35's. Have any of y'all had issues pulling goosenecks at this height? I'm worried that it will hit the bed rails pulling out of some of the stores around this area. A lot of the stores have kinda of steep driveways for some reason. Never had a problem with stock suspension and 33's, but did have a problem in a hay field once when someone didn't think before driving over a terrace.

I would hope that the neck adjusts high enough, I just don't really want to be stuck swapping back to stock suspension after I crater the bed with a gooseneck. lol I get the feeling that even with the neck adjusted up, I'll still have clearance issues on the bed rails.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online