Gooseneck: Hitch and trailer questions

bad12jr

Reaction score
You mainly pulling your trailer Travis or others as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I have a 450 lifted 6 inches on 37's that has pulled stock height goosenecks and didn't bottom out on the bead rails. On my personal goose I towed once with it with the axles sitting on top of the springs and even with an adjustable neck I couldn't get the angle I wanted.
BDC-38FACE9AC396-6438-000002BFEA4EE656_zps1f9f77aa.jpg

So then I mounted the axle under the springs and welded up new spring perches and that gave me about 4 inch of lift and now the trailer sits level with the truck.
831-2CAA85ED0FF4-3815-0000020D129F0A87_zps9d800d67.jpg

Bringing this one back up.

I'm looking at buying another truck. I've never towed with a lifted truck, but the one I'm going to look at this weekend is a 2000 with a 6" lift and 35's. Have any of y'all had issues pulling goosenecks at this height? I'm worried that it will hit the bed rails pulling out of some of the stores around this area. A lot of the stores have kinda of steep driveways for some reason. Never had a problem with stock suspension and 33's, but did have a problem in a hay field once when someone didn't think before driving over a terrace.

I would hope that the neck adjusts high enough, I just don't really want to be stuck swapping back to stock suspension after I crater the bed with a gooseneck. lol I get the feeling that even with the neck adjusted up, I'll still have clearance issues on the bed rails.

Reaction score
You mainly pulling your trailer Travis or others as well

Mainly would be pulling a 28+5 deckover, but may have to pull someone elses 30+5 here and there.. I don't pull loads very often right now b/c I refuse to put a gooseneck hitch in my OBS, but I'm getting my truck track ready and will be pulling it to and from the track from now on when I find another truck.

I'm assuming that I will be pulling the suspension off when I get it home and going back to stock with a leveling kit. I'll try to find someone to trade me for their stock stuff first. Surely there's someone around here that wants a 6" lift for dirt cheap.

Last edited:

bad12jr

Reaction score
I was gonna say lift the trailer a couple inches if its yours.

JrStroker

Reaction score
As of now I've got 6 inch lift on 37s. Seeing how weekend warrior don't have any problems I wouldn't think I would. I'm just curious how getting in and out of some rough driveways will be. Don't wanna buy a new bed.

Here's my problem now, at Rudy's over the weekend I seen a 6.4 with and 8 inch lift on 38x15.50 MTZ on 20x12s and it had the perfect stance and look I'm wanting. In reality its only 3-4 inches higher than now. But will that put me at not pulling goosenecks?

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
You caught the part where I said I had to lift my trailer 4 iinch right lol
B31-DF5A75352251-7288-000002CA5BF64594_zpse87163ee.jpg

As of now I've got 6 inch lift on 37s. Seeing how weekend warrior don't have any problems I wouldn't think I would. I'm just curious how getting in and out of some rough driveways will be. Don't wanna buy a new bed.

Here's my problem now, at Rudy's over the weekend I seen a 6.4 with and 8 inch lift on 38x15.50 MTZ on 20x12s and it had the perfect stance and look I'm wanting. In reality its only 3-4 inches higher than now. But will that put me at not pulling goosenecks?

JrStroker

Reaction score
Yes I caught that. But that's 4 inches to match up to your 6 on 37s. Which would be what I could do now. I'm wondering if a regular trailer or even one like yours would be okay with a with a 8 on 38

Reaction score

I think you're going to find yourself needing a new bed if you go over any hills like a terrace in a hay field or something like that.

I think I've decided not to buy the 6" lifted truck I was going to look at. My dad stumbled upon another one that's closer, 53k less miles, stock suspension, but is $2000 more. I think I can live with paying another $2000 for over 50k less miles and not have to swap suspension in order to pull trailers. LOL

JrStroker

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm still young, dumb and full if c*m. I don't need a lifted truck the same extent I don'tnneed a gooseneck trailer. I think I may just get me a good double axle bobcat trailer and be done for now. All its gonna hual is a 4000lb massy 135.

Latest posts

Members online