H&S Kit lag?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Intercooler won't do anything besides drop IAT some. It's more efficient but not to the point where it will make a big difference on spool up.

If the lag really is that bad make sure you check all connections intake and exhaust side for any leaks.

Not sure what you mean by obsolete? If you like the tune then there's no reason to switch. If every thing checks out good and you have smoke control issues you can have a little fuel pulled down low, but that isn't going to help spool up unless the truck is choking on fuel.

it is noticeable actually. more so on the trucks that need it worse. have you run with and without one ? mostly what i noticed was throttle response.

jcain

Reaction score
Which 64mm turbo ? Bell or sxe ? If bell, sport or spool housing ?

DC87

Reaction score
Which 64mm turbo ? Bell or sxe ? If bell, sport or spool housing ?

Bell spool housing. I think after talking with some people I might switch to a 366sxe with a divided pedestal and plan to throw more fuel shortly there after

jcain

Reaction score
Bell spool housing. I think after talking with some people I might switch to a 366sxe with a divided pedestal and plan to throw more fuel shortly there after
Switching to a larger compressor and turbine is counter productive for the problem you're having. You need tuning adjustments.

DC87

Reaction score
I understand that just haven't really been impressed with the charger for what it was supposed to do. And I have tried gear head tunes as well. I just figured that if I'm going to add some fuel here soon might as well go a little bigger shilr there's a good deal. I'm still deciding on it but last time I talked to Midwest they said they did some really nice tuning on yours. You're running the same kit correct?

DC87

Reaction score
Switching to a larger compressor and turbine is counter productive for the problem you're having. You need tuning adjustments.

I understand that just haven't really been impressed with the charger for what it was supposed to do. And I have tried gear head tunes as well. I just figured that if I'm going to add some fuel here soon might as well go a little bigger shilr there's a good deal. I'm still deciding on it but last time I talked to Midwest they said they did some really nice tuning on yours. You're running the same kit correct?

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score

The H&S kit is high quality, you have the nicest kit currently available.

As others have suggested, custom tuning from a good tuner will help a lot. Non-violent will never be quite as responsive and lag free as a stock turbo, but it more efficient under load. With proper tuning, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

call me dude .

DC87

Reaction score
Mike I tried calling you Yesterday! Jcain, *******- thanks for the input I will order some revised tuning today and maybe try some other tunes as well and put that money towards a set s trac bars and see how that new tuning changes things. My shop the truck is a bit more responsive down low with the new intercooler from what they can tell but said I would be able to say more accurately how much of a difference there is when I get it Monday. Thanks again everyone.

jcain

Reaction score
I did my own tuning on my last truck, which had the bell turbo H&s kit. Morgan @ midwest wrote me a tune for it and I tried it but ultimately I always used my own tuning. Geared was the first tuning I tried with my H&s kit and was eventually why I purchased the McC unlock and started doing my own.

Reaction score

It's always the turbo's fault......

DC87

Reaction score
It's always the turbo's fault......

Wrong I probably should have worded that comment a little differently. I haven't not been impressed with be overall trucks setup since I have had it. Could be my expectations were wrong or both tunes weren't exactly what I was looking for to get out of it. Talked to Midwest and they were willing to revise it free of charge. Prior to that I spoke with some other people who mentioned maybe trying to go with a different setup with my future goals in mind and having the cash at the moment I ordered a S366 and the parts to fit it on the truck from you guys through Midwest last night. Seeing as I tried 2 different tuners(both I never asked for revisions) which I have never been satisfied with gear heads tuning personally.(know plenty of people who absolutely love theirs) not here to knock anyone's product nor tuning ability so if it came off that way I will gladly apologize for that. Parts won't be here for another week and I can always sell those of a tune fixes my lag issue or helps it. If you are willing to shoot me a price on a tune I'd be glad to order one and see if it's better than what I am currently running(get the truck back Sunday) that would give me a week to test the tune and see how it goes. Also I'm here for advice and to learn so if it's all in the tuning I'll gladly admit that I should have asked for a revision prior to the post but it's always nice to get outside opinions to better my knowledge seeing as now I know where to set my expectations that without extra fueling this setup will always have a slight lag down low. Which I expected initially just didn't think and was told t wouldn't be bad which so far it has been.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
It is the tuning. I have the same turbo...I did one mod and my truck did the same thing, it would not spool until 2500. Had my tuner make some changes and it was back to normal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.