Help/Opinions on rust (pic) and solutions through warranty/out of pocket?

67Stroke

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Needing some serious help (a bit stressed). I found out some "Minor" rust was not as minor as expected (picture attached).

The bedsides are in excellent shape on the outside as expected and I believe the inner bedsides are fine with the exception of some surface rust.

The problem is the bed floor. It has serious rust. Some is surface but some spots are very impregnated with the rust.

So....

What are my options here? The truck is a 2011 in excellent shape everywhere else. This is not an old truck or a beat down truck.

Will Ford cover this under warranty?

Can the bed floor be replaced, and the surface rust be fixed, and then all covered and cured with Linex or similar?

If Ford will not cover this (ridiculous if so) what would this roughly cost out of pocket?

The thought of having to get a new bed seems overboard with the truck being so new and something id really rather not do unless I had to.

I know this topic has been discussed but I am trying to obtain some first hand knowledge based on the pic I am providing.

Thanks for any and all help. Its much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20151031_143025076.jpg
    IMG_20151031_143025076.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 246

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Must have been a pool service truck or it hauled salt brine or something. Have it sand blasted then have line x sprayed on. How is the underside?

67Stroke

Reaction score
It was used to haul plants/landscaping equipment.
I'm wondering if it will require more than just a sandblast etc. There are two spots that are now soft where the rust has done so much damage. FYI.

Will that require the floor to be replaced? Honestly I'm pretty worried so if the floor being replaced was all it would need I would be OK with it. Hoping ford will fix this under their corrosion warranty.

67Stroke

Reaction score
The underside seems fine. It doesn't show any rust coming through but the couple soft spots can be seen from the underside.

PDT1081

Reaction score
It was used to haul plants/landscaping equipment.
I'm wondering if it will require more than just a sandblast etc. There are two spots that are now soft where the rust has done so much damage. FYI.

Will that require the floor to be replaced? Honestly I'm pretty worried so if the floor being replaced was all it would need I would be OK with it. Hoping ford will fix this under their corrosion warranty.

There's no way Ford is going to cover that under any kind of warranty, nor should they. That's far and beyond normal wear and tear on the paint. Truck beds are not scratch proof. When you remove the paint from the metal it's going to rust. It's obvious the truck has been used (some would say abused) as a truck and the bed was not taken care of properly. No bedliner, mat, or any scratches ever touched up. Obviously someone has slid a lot of material across that bed. No manufacturer is going to warranty a truck bed like that.

JMart

Reaction score
Ford will not warranty that.

Option 1:
Media blast as much as you can off, line x the rest, put a drop in over the line x so you don't dent/knock holes in the soft spots. Plan to replace the bed in a few years when the rust has returned and eaten through the bottom.

Option2:
Replace the bed. Short beds run $800-1200 on average sometimes more depending on the area. By the time you spend the money to line x and sand blast the bed you won't be far from the cost of replacing it.

67Stroke

Reaction score
FYI there is a bed liner on it. The truck was not used without the liner.This pic was taken when I took the bed liner off to check out the bed. I think this is more from those stupid bed liners allowing moisture to sit under them. Thanks for the replies.

PDT1081

Reaction score
FYI there is a bed liner on it. The truck was not used without the liner.This pic was taken when I took the bed liner off to check out the bed. I think this is more from those stupid bed liners allowing moisture to sit under them. Thanks for the replies.
For a little perspective on Ford's paint/corrosion warranty, my dad took his 05 in with the paint peeling on the hood, front fender, roof of the cab, and passenger side doors. Also had rust all the way through the fender wells on the bed. Ford's response was simply "not our problem."

67Stroke

Reaction score
Being that it is a 2011 and a bed liner has been used I would hope that they would at least work with me on some of it. It technically falls under their corrosion warranty if I am understanding it properly. My 5 years would be up in January 2016 since the date of manufacture was 01/11.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Is the truck over 36k miles? I bet the truck was used for a while without a bed liner. If they where hauling plants then they where also hauling fert. Put a liner over some tripple 14 and voila, rust city.

Reaction score
Being that it is a 2011 and a bed liner has been used I would hope that they would at least work with me on some of it. It technically falls under their corrosion warranty if I am understanding it properly. My 5 years would be up in January 2016 since the date of manufacture was 01/11.

This truck MAY have had a bed liner in it, but it was clearly just to cover up the rust and damage. Ford will definitely not do anything and they shouldnt. You can see on the top of the wheel wells and the back side of the bed that this truck definitely been used without a bed liner at some point. The people you bought it from must have thrown a bed liner in it cover all the damage up or they did a lot of damage to it and then realized they should have been running a bed liner. Either way, not a chance Ford would do anything on this man. They dont have a responsibility for abuse. Their corrosion warranty covers manufacture defects that result in corrosion. Not Joe Bob throwing all his paint equipment in the back for 2 years without a bed liner. May want to check with a body shop and see if it could be cleaned up and then have it line-xed.

67Stroke

Reaction score
Makes sense. I agree with the assessment. Makes me very angry either way.

What are my repair options from the looks of it?

Can the floor be replaced by Ford (out of pocket if no warranty etc) or a good body shop and then have the other surface rust areas cleaned up?

About how much should something like that cost me?

I will be having it Linex'ed either way. But with the 2 soft spots on the floor I assume Ill need new metal also...Ive accepted the situation but really need to keep the cancerous rust from any further damage.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Rupp250

Reaction score
Those plastic bed liners are the worst. They get moisture under them and do exactly what you see. Ford response will be "here is a replacement bed you can buy, we could help you out and get you in next Tuesday."

67Stroke

Reaction score
Honestly, I got a good deal on the truck price wise. Very good deal overall. I would literally entertain a bed from ford for a couple reason...

1. be done with the mess and feel better about my purchase
2. have the work done by ford

Any ideas what they charge for a new bed at ford? I'm sure the number is high....

300000 and counting

Reaction score
If there isn't any holes in it lineX it and be done, I'd there is a hole here or there or a soft spot make a patch and weld it in, then have it lineX. And undercoat the bottom side and/or coat it in oil

Or go extremely cheap buy some POR15 and paint the inside of the bed and put the liner back in

67Stroke

Reaction score
I dont want to go to cheap just bc this is a big investment in this truck now. I will definitely linex it.

My main worry is that if it isnt sandblasted/primed/sealed/etc. that it will eventually eat through the bottom and then further eventually into the struts etc.

I really want to just cut it out like a cancer and feel like the problem is solved. learn a lesson when buying used and move on feeling better about the condition.

JMart

Reaction score
Honestly, I got a good deal on the truck price wise. Very good deal overall. I would literally entertain a bed from ford for a couple reason...

1. be done with the mess and feel better about my purchase
2. have the work done by ford

Any ideas what they charge for a new bed at ford? I'm sure the number is high....

They can replace the floor. Or they could back in 2010 when I was building a shortbed truck. My wife called Ford to ask the price of a bed and the body shop she talked to said they get it in pieces, floor sides, front not whole.

Just call a few body shops and ask.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
we deal with rusted beds all the time, and we throw them away all the time and replace them. Its not worth the time or money to mess with it. Get a good used bed have it painted to match and you will have a good bed, you can also find new take offs up north (ohio etc) for around 18-2500.

co04cobra

Reaction score
New bed from Ford is about $1800 range. You'll have about that again in it or a little more to get it painted and put on.

If you can't find a used one, that is your best option.

The floor can be replaced, but it will save you no money, and create places easier to rust in the future.

Yes they do sell complete beds from Ford.

Last edited:

67Stroke

Reaction score
Good to know. Thats what I am really hoping for (even out of pocket). It seems that the sides and front are fine if they are treated and sealed. And then linexed.

I've spoken with a few shops and a local sandblaster. I definitely have options. Finding a way to replace the floor seems ideal in my opinion. I will be swinging by Ford this afternoon to get an opinion on my options.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and info. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online