HOT!! 4r100

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
250* and climbing, I shut it off and let it sit for 30 mins
That's REALLY bad for the transmission! Not the temperatures, but shutting it off when it is that hot!

Next time put it in park or neutral and let it idle to cool. A slightly faster than normal idle will run the engine fan faster and help cool the trans.

Arisley

Reaction score
True cool works well for me.

installed1.jpg

compare.jpg

sparksf250

Reaction score
Hope the Tru-cool fixes you up.. Its good to see Mark here too. you can't go wrong with anything that he says he know his chit. Since I'm on a limited budget too, one thing that I've learned, it that its much cheaper to do something right the first time instead of trying thing 2 or 3 times been there done that and WASTED ALOT of money. Again hope the new cooler works for ya

Big Bore

Reaction score
Sorry was in a pretty bad mood last night.. Tru cool max 4739 . I know its not the 6.0 but its the next best thing that I can buy.

Excellent, hope that works out for you and solves the problem.

side note, was watching temps yesterday while hauling my low mile 7.3 to the guy that bought it and getting on it hard etc and my temps never made 140, which is normal year round. Ambient was around 75. I'll be in Denver with it next week and looks like temps will be higher, I'll watch them some more. Cooling is 6.0 cooler, no radiator cooler, deep sump pan, billet triple disk etc etc

Last edited:

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
Excellent, hope that works out for you and solves the problem.

side note, was watching temps yesterday while hauling my low mile 7.3 to the guy that bought it and getting on it hard etc and my temps never made 140, which is normal year round. Ambient was around 75. I'll be in Denver with it next week and looks like temps will be higher, I'll watch them some more. Cooling is 6.0 cooler, no radiator cooler, deep sump pan, billet triple disk etc etc

Ok thanks. I know that mine wouldnt get hot until it got into the upper 80s and 90/100s. So hope it works out too. I would like to know with the elevation change in denver how it does. Still looking into getting the radiator just because of stop and go situations and hauling things.

Also did you feel like the deep sump pan works? Im not sure if it was this thread or another, but i recall someone saying it wasnt good or something along those lines.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
so andy, with your cooler in front of everything, how does the ac work down there in texas? did you notice a difference when you went from stock behind the ac to in front of it??

i have read somewhere that putting the ac in front of the tranny cooler, the efficiency of the trans cooler goes down to like 60 or 70%. i dont know how accurate that is, i just know i read it on psn somewhere.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
hmmm. might give that a whirl. sometime. maybe.

on a side note, hows the new green name fitting?

bluedge8

Reaction score
That's REALLY bad for the transmission! Not the temperatures, but shutting it off when it is that hot!

Next time put it in park or neutral and let it idle to cool. A slightly faster than normal idle will run the engine fan faster and help cool the trans.

thanks for responding Mark, as I was sitting in drive thru it just kept getting hotter and hotter, and I felt like I wasn't going to get it back- even in park and bringing rpms up, it still kept climbing, I was able to watch the temp gauge move it was climbing so fast so I felt shutting it off was my only option. I've always been able to see it start cooling off but this time it wasn't, I'm still confused as to why it overheated like it did, I wasn't pulling, just driving around in city traffic.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
its been my experience, that just cuz you stop, the trans will keep heating up, if you did something that warranted it to heat up.

for instance. backing up a 15k trailer over the winter, skid loader and trailer, plowing 14" of snow that day, stopped trailer in snow bank with truck on dry pavement. well, good salted pavement. took lots of throttle to get it to back up, moved real hard, then got it goin and put it where i wanted it. didnt think nothing about it. stopped, looked at guage, read bout 185*. kewl. answered the phone, took a address on another plow job to go to after that one, looked at guage again, pegged my 265* guage. was like wtf.

sat there idleing, took about 5 mins for the temps to start to not peg the guage, took another 10 mins to make them back to less than 220. apparantly it takes a bit for the guage to catch up to the temps in the trans when heating it, and it takes the trans a while to cool down idling. i suppose i could have dropped the trailer and drove to get some air through the cooler, but i had waaayyyyy to much chit to do that day, having been up for 40 hours at that point in the day, and still another 8 to go to get done, allowing more ppl didnt call.

looking back, i should have just put it in 4-lo, which is what i do now.

Latest posts

Members online