HOT!! 4r100

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
Ok so the cooler is not the problem. Or i cannot begin to imagine it being that. I drove about 15-20 miles after i have installed the biggest cooler you can put on this effin truck and my temps didnt change AT ALL!! its pumping fluid through the cooler i can feel it warm on the outside of it. Ive got a condenser out of a durango that was thoroughly cleaned twice. I watched being cleaned both times.

The temp outside was 85-90 at night and when i got home it was done rising in temp believe. It got a little over 200 when i stopped at home, took off driving and it went back down to 195 or so and stayed there as i went to town to my girls house.

Im honestly stumped mark. So is my step dad he was a mechanic for 20+ years and knows his ****.

I mean hes not a tranny guy but he owns a 06 cummins 3500 and pulls his gooseneck 25ft trailer with his late model car race car. His temps are much cooler than mine and has never gotten hot.

Im honestly at the selling point in my frustration.....

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
It's going back to the guy who built it tomorrow for sure though. Maybe he can figure it out for me..

neverkickn

Reaction score
I dont know the exchange capabilities of an ac condensor out of a durango but I do know that 6oh coolers work really well:poke: I know they are a bit spendy but if you keep trying out different cooler setups then you may well surpass the price of a new one before long. I am becoming increasingly more fond of the one and done method for working on stuff, even considering the initial financial sting that usually goes along with it.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Since there is no thermal bypass on a 4R100 that isn't the problem.

It is possible that the pressure bypass on the side of the transmission is leaking and letting fluid bypass the coolers. There is some flow to the coolers if the converter AC condenser is getting warm.

I have no idea how well an AC condenser will work as a trans cooler. What diameter are the tubes? Is it one tube that snakes back and forth? What is the pressure drop? Is it high enough that it is opening the pressure bypass? These are questions that you probably can't answer, but need to know to determine if an AC condenser can work as a trans cooler. Hint: I wouldn't use one on my truck.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
The condenser looks exactly like a trans cooler just bigger . Line going to it is 3/8 Id and 1/2 of . Not a snake kind .

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
Is its not my cooler or coolers failing I don't want to waste 300 $. That's the Money situation .

neverkickn

Reaction score
Since there is no thermal bypass on a 4R100 that isn't the problem.

It is possible that the pressure bypass on the side of the transmission is leaking and letting fluid bypass the coolers. There is some flow to the coolers if the converter AC condenser is getting warm.

I have no idea how well an AC condenser will work as a trans cooler. What diameter are the tubes? Is it one tube that snakes back and forth? What is the pressure drop? Is it high enough that it is opening the pressure bypass? These are questions that you probably can't answer, but need to know to determine if an AC condenser can work as a trans cooler. Hint: I wouldn't use one on my truck.

So are you saying that the pressure bypass valve is actuated by a pressure differential between the cooling circuit and the trans housing?

If I follow you right that means that a cooler that is two large will cause enough of a pressure drop to at least partially or intermittently actuate the bypass valve.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If the new cooler is too restrictive it will open the pressure bypass and some amount of hot fluid will bypass the cooler and go right back into the trans.

It is actuated by a differential pressure between the output pressure at the case and the input pressure at the return line at the case.

Tom S

Reaction score
Mark, I know I asked you this once before but I do quite remember the answer. What would you consider ball park the temperature you would want to see a transmission running on an emtpy truck, 85 deg day on the interstate. I thought your answer was in the 150 to 180 range but not sure.

Tom

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
ok mark you have explained thoroughly for the condenser. it was a 25$ shot from the bone yard. lol the pressure drop was from 27-26 ish to 13ish? does that sound anywhere ball park? thats the numbers i heard from the guy today thats looking at it.

What i dont get is, why did the two coolers that were made from transmissions cool it, outside of being to small...? I bought two just like the one on the left from the picture that snakes back and forth. Thinkning that it would have enough volume and pressure to not get hot.

The man who built it says the internall parts of the trans is fine and just like yall are saying its cooling. But still seems fishy (outside of condenser) that it would be getting to 200* not towing anything.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
That's about right. The E4OD/4R100 tend to run 60-100°F above ambient temperature.

Is there a point where this rule shouldn't apply? If it's 120* out would you feel fine with the trans being at 220*?

Along the same lines, I know I asked you this before also, but at what temperatures do you have to worry about the trans running too cool and possibly causing condensation and other problems?

If it is 90* ambient, and I am running down the highway with trans temps of 125*-130* should I be concerned about it being too cool?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
and, that bypass. i thought the purpose of the bypass was if the cooler plugged for some reason, it would open the bypass

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
and, that bypass. i thought the purpose of the bypass was if the cooler plugged for some reason, it would open the bypass

Right and I think hes saying thats its acting like its plugged and is not actually going through the cooler. Well not all of it I believe.

But that's why i wondered why it would get hot with 2 coolers . That are actually made to cool it?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I seem to be having the same problem as you. Normal warm summer day, I see 210-230* unloaded, so I picked up a 6.0 cooler, just stocking up of fluid to do a complete flush.

However mine started to throw a 3-4 shift malfunction and a range selector code.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Is there a point where this rule shouldn't apply? If it's 120* out would you feel fine with the trans being at 220*?

Along the same lines, I know I asked you this before also, but at what temperatures do you have to worry about the trans running too cool and possibly causing condensation and other problems?

If it is 90* ambient, and I am running down the highway with trans temps of 125*-130* should I be concerned about it being too cool?

If it is 120 ambient out we got bigger problemsLOLLOLLOL

Big Bore

Reaction score
Is its not my cooler or coolers failing I don't want to waste 300 $. That's the Money situation .

Since you haven't actually tried a good cooler (6.0) you have no idea if thats the problem. I don't know anything about that AC condenser or how it was engineered, but I have never heard of one of those being used as a tranny cooler until now. As far as I can tell you are nickel and dimeing your way to a 6.0 cooler. Not to mention all that time swapping those crappy parts store coolers and the Durango condenser in and out.

I hate to say it this way, but you came asking for help with your problem, and you've done everything except listen to the generous advice you were given here by the members trying to help you, including probably the most qualified person there is anywhere (Mark), then posting how it didn't work. Good luck with your tranny, hope you figure it out (as in get a 6.0 cooler).

Latest posts

Members online